I'd love you to PM me your idea Krystal, just curious if you're right! You're a smart cookie so my hopes are high with you!

So our litte tribe is becoming a family and Noa is feeling right at home. What could possibly make life any better? Well, let's find out shall we?

Chapter Four
Piku Comes of Age

More months passed and life continued for tribe. Piku would be turning 14 shortly and already expressed a desire to learn carpentry from Bibi. Bibi promised to teach him on his 14th birthday and this kept Piku happy, but anxious to grow up.

Noa was starting to forget that she still needed to figure out how she got here. She felt so at home with these people, on this island. She still remembered her parents and was missing them, but a part of her didn't want to find to out it was a dream and wake up. She was accepted here and the island was changing her, for the better. She wasn't angry anymore. She wasn't lonely anymore. Instead of looking for compliments, she found her self encouraging the little ones when they would find another shell or bug or mushroom. Even though food needed to be gathered everyday, they hadn't worried about food in a long time. There were always plenty of surpluses. And despite the small camp they had, there was never an issue with space or privacy. Obi took the boys for a walk every morning while breakfast cooked and the girls cleaned and then the girls would go exploring after breakfast while the boys cleaned up. They would take breaks from chores to swim in the lagoon, or simply cool their feet in the refreshing water. They spent every dinner under the stars by the fire. And soon, the hut would be finished and Bibi and Obi would no longer have to sleep outside. Life was good here.

Although Noa wasn't the oldest, it was clear that the younger children looked at her and Bibi and Obi as parental figures and she had long since formed a special bond with each of them. She would still tell many stories and loved to teach the children. They were growing so fast though and before long, they would all be of age to work. Little Jem proved to be the best at catching butterflies, Coen could scout a rock from a mile away and Piku still enjoyed chasing after them all day, despite being almost 14.

One day, while taking a break, Noa went over to Mua at the research table and asked to talk. "Sure", said Mua, "I can take a break now. What's up"?

"Uh, well" stammered Noa. Mua's face lit up.

"Are you going to finally tell me about Obi?"

"What?!" screeched Noa, louder than she meant to. She blushed and frantically looked around to see if anyone heard her.

"The day that Obi and Bibi showed up I noticed how you looked him. I've been waiting for you to talk about him but I didn't want to embarrass you and bring it up."

"You what? Was I that obvious?" whispered Noa.

"Well, sort of, but I just knew you. Bibi noticed too, she was quite happy to see you were interested in Obi" The color in Noa's cheeks deepened.

"You talked to Bibi about me?" Noa said, slightly hurt by this.

"Well, she sort of came to me one day. She knew that I had known you all my life and had grown up with you. She wanted to know. She thinks he likes you too." Noa froze mouth open in shock. Mua chuckled, "Well, don't look so surprised, you had to have noticed the way he looks at you."

"But, he has never said anything to me!"

"In case you hadn't noticed, he never says anything, ever. I wouldn't take it personally. Have you ever really looked into his eyes? He doesn't need to say anything, his eyes say it all. According to Bibi, he never really said much growing up. She never really worried about it, just seemed to be his way. He didn't need to speak, so he didn't bother. But he's apparently very intelligent and has many talents." Mua paused and blushed "And he's really cute".

"Oh no", moaned Noa, "you like him too?"

"Well, actually" and Mua lowered her voice "I kind of like Piku, even if he is a year younger than me." Noa grinned. The two friends spoke for a while longer and from that day on, spent much time huddled together talking about they two boys in their lives. Noa started to worry less about the 5 year age difference. In less than two years, she would be a grown woman by tribe standards and it looked like Obi didn't mind waiting, even if he never said so.

Yes, the girls are very much in love, but do the guys feel the same way?

So, Noa has a breakthrough and realizes that she has a true friend in Mua and shares her secret. How will life continue?

Chapter Five
The New Researcher

One day, while Noa was taking a break from fishing, Bibi came up to her.

"Hey, how are doing?" She asked Noa.

"Fine. You?"

"Just fine. But I'm a little worried about our research. It's a lot for Mua to do alone and she's working hard, but one person can only move so fast. I was thinking, since our food supply is really getting up there, that you might like to spend some time each day helping her, and some time fishing. Piku will be of age soon, but he really wants to learn to build and I could really use his help. This hut is taking forever alone and we still need to start working on that broken down hut on the south end of the beach. What do you think?"

Noa paused for a minute. She didn't like to think about spending less time with Obi each day, but Bibi made a good point. And it would be nice to work beside her best friend for a while. "I don't have to completely give up fishing will I?" she asked, thinking this was the best way to word it.

Bibi smiled at her. "No, you'll still have your time with Obi, we could just all use your help and you're smart. You'd have no problem with research. You can help Obi whenever you want or whenever he needs your help."

Noa blushed a little, hating that Bibi saw right through her question. "Okay, I'll head over to Mua's table right now then." And she got up and started over to her. She stopped briefly and turned back to Bibi. "Bibi?"

"Yes?" she responded, looking over her shoulder.

"Thanks." Noa smiled at her.

"You're welcome" Bibi grinned.

Noa walked over to Mua and for the rest of the day, Mua started to teach Noa everything she has learned thus far. Noa struggled a bit on some concepts but she found that she was learning pretty quickly. She thought she might enjoy her new role. She was going to miss her time spent in the ocean with Obi, but she knew she didn't have to give it up completely. And with the two girls researching together, the progress was much quicker.

A month later, Piku celebrated his 14th birthday. Obi cooked another wonderful crab breakfast. Bibi spoke of some of the traditions of the old tribe. They had one hut that was only for lovers. The two youngest giggled at this. She said that she hoped, now that she had Piku's help that once they finished the second hut, the broken hut by the ocean could be this special place. The two could fix it up quite nice. She spoke of births in the tribe. It was tradition for new mothers to nurse their children for the first two years of their lives, and only nurse. This was important to them and their development. After the two years were done, the parents would name their children and the mother would continue her duties. It was the responsibility of the older children to keep young ones busy while those of age worked. The two youngest giggled again but Noa thought this sounded wonderful. She pictured herself walking around the camp, holding a little baby and snuck a glace at Obi. He caught her eye and smiled at her.

As they enjoyed the crab, Coen spoke up. "I think we should make it tradition to have a crab breakfast for every coming of age birthday and every marriage. It's so good!" The others laughed in approval and they all looked at Obi. He grinned and nodded his approval at the suggestion. The tribe now had their own tradition.

After breakfast and clean up, Bibi took Piku over to the unfinished hut and started his training. Excited, he caught on quickly. Much progression was made on the hut that day. Things were looking up for the little tribe.

lol, yes, maybe some feelings are returned, but will he do anything about it?

Here's you next clue!

Chapter Six
The Healer

A few months passed and Noa had turned 17. One day while stopping to grab some food she noticed Obi standing on the edge of the ocean looking at the water. Curious, she walked over to him. As she neared him, she let out a gasp. The ocean was covered in green algae. It was impossible to fish! Obi turned to look at her, with shock and fear on his face. The ocean was their only source of food right now!

Noa stood there for a minute looking back and forth from Obi to the ocean and suddenly it dawned on her.

"Wait here! I think I know what to do!" She turned and ran, leaving Obi looking perplexed. She rushed to the research hut and scrambled inside. She knew what she was looking for, but where was it? At last she saw it, stuck in a corner. She grabbed the skin from the giant coconut they found and rushed back outside to Mua. The two examined the tough skin that caused them so much trouble way back and they came to an agreement. They could use the tough skin as a rope to help them shimmy up the coconut trees! Together, they quickly braided the tough fibers and Noa grabbed the rope and dashed back to Obi. She explained what they had discovered and handed him the rope, hoping he understood. He took the rope, looked at her intently and promptly turned towards the trees. She watched as Obi approached the tree, threw the rope around it and using his strong arms and legs, climbed straight to the top of the tree. A few seconds later a nice big coconut fell and Obi climbed back down. He picked up the coconut and looked at Noa, smiling. She squealed in delight and ran over to him. She threw her arms around his neck and hugged him, proud of herself, of Mua, and of Obi. The tribe had made their first major discovery! Before she realized what she had done, she felt Obi's free hand wrap around her waist and felt a soft kiss on the top of her head. She pulled away and looked at him. He smiled at her with his bright smile and intense eyes and nodded towards the camp. She understood. She turned and ran to tell the others what they had just discovered, Obi following with the first coconut. That night, everyone celebrated, but deep down Noa was worried. She knew the coconuts wouldn’t last forever. They would do for now but they either had to find another method of gathering food, or they had to figure out how to clean up the ocean. Or both. She would worry about it tomorrow at the research table.

The next morning Noa awoke to Jem shaking her frantically, crying. "Noa, Noa, Coen's sick! Coen's sick!"

"What?" asked Noa, sitting up.

"Something's wrong with Coen, come quick!" Noa rushed outside with Jem to find Bibi and Obi crouched over Coen, looking grim. He was pale and sweating. He was moaning slightly and clutched his stomach in obvious pain.

"I don't know what's wrong" said Bibi looking distressed. "We had a healer in our village. I never thought of it. I don't know what to do!" Noa looked at Obi. He looked back at her and she knew she was on her own with this one. She looked around the camp for a minute.

"Okay" she said, "here's what were going to do. Bibi, grab a cloth and wet it in the cool lagoon and put in on Coen's forehead. It will help with the fever for now. Mua, bring some water. Obi, take Coen to the broken down hut. It may not be fixed yet, but its better then nothing. Piku, take Jem away, keep her busy. I don't want her to worry and I don't want her sick too. And I'll be right back, I'll meet you at the hut Obi." Obi nodded and easily picked up the boy. Mua and Bibi ran to the stream, following Noa’s orders. Noa took a deep breath and ran over to one of the nearby plants. She examined the plant for minute and realized this wasn't what she needed. She ran to the next plant. Still not right. She kept running to all the plants around the camp, starting to panic. None of these seemed right. She stopped for minute to think and then saw it. Way on the other side of the beach, by the dry grass, was one more plant. She ran as fast as she could. She examined the plant and cried out in relief "This is it! This is it! I know this right!" She grabbed some leaves from the plant and ran back to the broken down hut. Out of breath she handed the plant leaves to Obi. There was no need to explain, he understood what she was trying to do. She stumbled outside while Obi took over and clutched a stitch in her side. She waited anxiously outside with Mua while Bibi helped Obi. Minutes passed, they felt like hours. Mua paced while Noa started to regain her breath. Finally, Bibi and Obi emerged. Bibi started to talk but Noa saw it in Obi's eyes first.

"He's going to be okay" Bibi said. "What ever that was, it worked. His fever is dropping and his pain is slowly going away. He needs to rest, but he'll make it. You saved him Noa. You saved his life!" Noa smiled, relieved, still panting a little. Obi walked over to her and hugged her, kissing her on the top of the head again. Noa's heart skipped a beat. Bibi watched the two intently, happiness in her eyes.

"I think you just became our healer Noa" said Mua, nothing but pride in her voice for her best friend. That night, Obi carried Coen out of the hut to sit by the fire while the tribe celebrated their discovery of medicine. A few days later, Coen was back to normal, playing with Jem, and finding his infamous stones.

Edited by LadyCFII (08/01/08 06:01 PM)