Okay, so after reading some of the wonderful stories here, and after some encouragement from Krystal, I thought it might be time again, after many years, to try my hand at writing again. So I've been working on my own little VV2 story and thought it was time to share it.

A little disclaimer, I haven't had nearly the time to read all of the stories here so if anything in this story seems like you wrote it already, it's purely fluke. But feel free to tell me, I'd love to read your own story and I'll gladly amend mine if I accidently copied something.

So here is goes, please let me know what you think and please, please be honest. If you all don't like it, that's fine, I'll remove this post and just keep writing for myself. I have five chapters so far but I think I'll just start with a little taste of the introduction and the first chapter. Can't wait to hear what you all think!

A Twist of Fate

Introduction

"Fine, Mom! I'll put some headphones on then!" Noa shouted down the hall as she turned back into her room and slammed the door.

"She's always nagging me. I can't stand it! I'm 15, I'm not a kid!"

Noa sat down at her computer and plugged in some headphones. She couldn't take another lecture on loud music from her mother. With her short blond hair, she was a pretty girl, but, like most teenagers, felt unappreciated, felt like she didn’t fit in. She never realized she wasn't the only teenager to feel this way. This made her feel very alone in the world.

"I don't have any real friends, no one appreciates me, and I can't stand it anymore! Why do I have to be here? There must be somewhere I fit in!"

Frustrated and sad, she slapped the lid of her laptop closed and flopped on her bed crying. "I wish I wasn't here" she sobbed as her tears carried her into a deep sleep.

A Twist of Fate

Chapter One, Part One

Screams and a loud splash woke Noa in a panic. "What was that? Did someone fall in the pool?" Without thinking of the danger Noa ran to her door and ripped it open. She went to run down the hall and make sure everyone was okay but after a few disoriented steps, she realized that the sun was blaring in her face, blinding her momentarily. "What the...? Why is it so bright in the house?" She took another step and looked down in shock to realize she was walking on sand. "What is going on here?"

She blinked hard a few times and started to focus. She saw a pool of water not far from where she stood and two figures slowly climbing out. Just as she meant to run from the strangers she heard a small voice behind her say "Noa, who are they?"

She screamed in surprise and whipped around to see four children behind her. Two of them looked to be around her age, the other two quite small. "Who are you? How do you know my name? Where am I?"

"Noa, stop it! Jem is terrified! Pretending you don't know us isn't going to help her!" This was spoken by the oldest of the four children, a pretty black haired girl.

"Stop what?! I'm not pretending! I have no idea who you are!" The little girl, apparently named Jem, started crying hard and hid behind the black haired girl.

"Now look what you did. I sometimes wonder if it was the right move putting you in charge just because you're the oldest. Seriously, Noa!" she said then she turned to the other children and said "Come on, lets go say hi to them".

Noa stood there shocked for a moment and then reason set in "Wait! Stop! What are you doing? They're strangers! They could be here to hurt us!" Jem started crying harder.

"Come on Noa," the oldest boy said, "We're in the middle of nowhere! They are either here to rescue us, or they need help too." Noa stood there with her mouth agape, unable to find words as she watched the four children moved towards the strangers. Figuring it was the best thing to do, she rushed to catch up with the children.

"Hi" said the black haired girl to the strangers.

"Hello!" said the woman. She was taller than average and lean with a shock of curly red hair. Her voice was soft and friendly. Noa started to breathe again. "My name is Bibi" she said "and this is my younger brother, Obi" she pointed to the man beside her. Noa looked at the man for the first time and her heart skipped a beat. He was gorgeous. He looked young and fit but had this unique looking head of silver head. His hair didn't at all make him look older; in fact, it more made it look like he was glowing all the time.

"I'm 24 and Obi is 20" Bibi continued. Noa shook her head. She hadn't realized she was staring. She was completely captivated by Obi. Clearing her head, she realized that he was looking right at her with a mix of curiosity and amusement. She turned a very dark shade of red. Someone nudged her ribs.

"Go on Noa, introduce us!" the oldest boy said.

"Uh, well, uh..." Noa stammered, too embarrassed to speak.

The boy sighed, "Girls, geez. I'm Piku, I'm 12. This is Noa, she's 15. This is Mua, she's 13" he indicated to the black haired girl, "and Coen, he's 9" as he ruffled the youngest boys hair, much to his protest. "And this little cutie" he indicated towards the little girl "is Jem, she's only 4". Piku was tall for his age. Dark skin, and long curly brown hair. The young boy, Coen, was small and too thin and had bright orange hair. Jem was cute and very small with long straight brown hair. None of the children looked like they could be related at all.

Bibi nodded to them. "Hello. Where are your parents?"

"We don't know." Said Mua, "they went to look for help and left Noa in charge but they haven't returned yet".

"Oh, well, when did they leave? They should be back soon", said Bibi.

"They left 7 months ago" said Piku grimly, looking at the ground. Then he put a hand to his face and whispered to Bibi "I don't think they're coming back".

"Well, how have you been living?" Bibi asked.

"They left us a bunch of food, but now it's almost gone!" said Coen for the first time. Noa looked at the little boy wondering what he was talking about. Why were they saying these things like it was common knowledge? Why were they saying she was in charge?

Bibi's heart sank for the children and she looked at her brother. "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" Obi nodded.

"Okay, listen. We're from the other side of the island. We were exploring the island when we entered a cave and accidentally slid through a hole," she pointed to the top of the waterfall "and landed in your lagoon. I have no idea how we're going to get back through there, but until we figure it out, we may as well all work together to survive, okay?"

The children nodded. Noa breathed a sigh of relief. At least while she tried to figure out where she was and what she was doing here, it seemed Bibi would take over the duties of leadership roles. One less thing for Noa to worry about.

"So, first we need a fire" Bibi continued, "Obi, I see some dry grass over there, you grab that, I'll grab some of this driftwood." Obi nodded.

"He's a quiet one, isn't he?" Noa thought, smiling to herself as he walked past her, still dripping from the lagoon's water.

As Bibi went to pick up some driftwood, little Jem detached herself from Mua's leg and ran after her, giggling. When Obi returned with the dry grass, he placed it on Bibi's driftwood in the fire pit and lit a blazing fire. He seemed to do it with ease and Noa found herself blushing again. Bibi added some more driftwood and then turned to everyone.

A Twist of Fate

Chapter One, Part Two

"Okay, obviously, food is dire", said Bibi.

"What does dire mean?" asked Coen.

Bibi chuckled, "Sorry Coen, it means that gathering food is the most important thing we need to focus on. But we also need some additional shelter. In our tribe on the other side of the island, children aren't allowed to work until they turn 14, so that means, for now, that is up to Obi, Noa and I to work on shelter and food." Noa looked up startled.

"You want me to work? Are you nuts?"

Bibi gave her a stern look, "Do you want to starve then?"

"No, of course not!"

"Then you're working. Our father was a carpenter and taught me a lot of the basics of what he knows so how about I start on a new hut for us, since there are 7 of us now" she said, looking towards the tiny hut that stood in the centre of the camp, "and Obi, how about you take Noa fishing." Obi nodded and stood up. He flashed Noa a smile and grabbed her wrist. She froze, fixated on his perfect smile. He tugged her wrist and nodded towards the ocean and she slowly started to walk.

"Bibi, I turn 14 tomorrow, can I help now?" asked Mua. Bibi smiled at her, "No, you can work tomorrow. Today, enjoy your last day of youth with the others" and she turned to start building a hut.

Down by the ocean, Obi fished with ease, finding fish immediately. Noa noticed that he swam like a fish, graceful and strong. She tried fishing but failed to come up with any fish. How did Obi make it look so easy? On her third try she caught a fish. While she carried it to the food bin, she realized that was easier than she thought. There was a trick to it and she thought she might have figured it out.

On her way back to the ocean a boy stops her and says "I want to be left alone at this research table, okay?"

"Uh, okay", she says and turns to follow Obi back to the ocean, "uh, what's your name?"

"Biggles" he calls over his shoulder and runs to the table. "Strange" thought Noa, "I never noticed him before". As she continues to walk to the ocean Piku comes running up to her at full speed.

"Noa, Noa! Some kid just stole some of our research!"

"Our what?"

"Our research! Our research!"

"And you want me to do what exactly?" Noa said, rather annoyed.

Piku's shoulders dropped, he was breathing hard from running. "Never mind" he mumbled, then turned and walked away.

Feeling a bit guilty, Noa shook her head and said to herself "Well, serves him right for bugging me". She went back to the ocean.

Noa and Obi fished for hours that day. Not once did she see him say anything, but she found it enduring. Once dusk started to sink in, Bibi called them over to the fire. She had cooked up some of the fish they had caught and said it was getting to dark to continue for the day. As they ate together, Bibi said that she and Obi would sleep by the fire until the hut was finished. The existing hut was just too small for all of them and it wasn't fair for them to intrude. Noa quite thought it would be nice to have Obi's muscled body keeping her warm but she decided it was best not voice this. Instead, she crammed into the hut with the other children and fell asleep with a smile on her face.

Aww, thanks guys! I'm glad you like it so far.

Well, here's the next chapter for you.

Chapter Two
The Birthday

When she awoke the next morning the sun was bright. Everyone seemed to still be asleep so she got up quietly. As she approached the door of the hut a wonderful smell filled her senses. She opened the door just enough to slip out and bring in minimal light to wake the others. She immediately noticed Bibi crouched at the lagoon, washing her face. Only then did she realize that she had no change of clothes, no makeup, and no hairbrush. She must look awful. She searched quickly for Obi, thinking she could sneak over to the lagoon unnoticed by him and clean up but her heart sank when she noticed him standing over the fire with crab on a stick and smiling at her. Too late. He nodded towards her sister and Noa seemed to understand what he was trying to say. She walked over to the lagoon and was not surprised when Bibi greeted her without looking up. It seemed like nothing could startle Bibi.

"Good morning Noa", said Bibi, "how did you sleep?"

"Uh, fine I guess, you?"

"Just fine, Noa" A grin flashed across her face as she looked up to see Noa looking at Obi. "He wanted to cook up the crab he caught yesterday for Mua's birthday breakfast. As soon as he gets it on the fire, he's going to wake the boys then take them for a walk in the woods while us girls bathe and clean up, you know, give us a little privacy. I thought we'd eat after and celebrate before I teach Mua how to research. Then I should get back to the hut while you and Obi find more food today."

"But I thought you said Mua was too young to work" Noa said, still trying to figure out how Bibi knew it was Mua's birthday. Bibi sensed this.

"It's her birthday, Noa, she told me yesterday. She turns 14 today so she's old enough to work now. And we really should start researching new ways to build, new technology, and new means of finding food if we're going to survive. Since we really need a new hut and still need much more food, Mua's perfect for the job. And she quite a bright young girl."

"Sure, I guess", said Noa, not really liking Bibi complimenting someone else.

"And so are you", said Bibi, picking up on Noa's resentment "look how quickly you learned to fish yesterday and you've become so good at it. You should be proud." Noa smiled a little. "Why don't you go wake the others." And Bibi turned back to the lagoon.

Noa felt better after a bath and sat down with the others for Mua's birthday breakfast. The crab was sweet and delicious and melted on the tongue. Everyone enjoyed it and sang to Mua. When they complimented Obi on his excellent cooking, he just smiled his sincere smile and nodded, never saying a word, but making his thanks clear. After breakfast, Bibi took Mua to the research table to start training and Noa followed Obi to the ocean. She still didn't like the idea of working but had to admit that fishing was quite fun. And she liked being able to do the chore with Obi, it kept him by her all day. The little ones spent the day finding mushrooms to add to the food bin and suddenly, Coen found a seashell. He rushed it over to Mua at the research table and she decided that they should keep in and show it off. It was a beautiful shell. She told Coen to tell the children to look for more. She would keep the first kind of each shell and use the rest for research. It didn't take long for the children to realize that there were also stones to collect, and bugs, and butterflies. In between retrievals, the children would play and laugh and chase each other.

Over the next few days, Mua talked to Noa a lot during meals and breaks and baths and Noa realized they had a lot in common. Mua had no idea what a computer was, or who Noa's favorite music groups were and thought that Noa was making these things up to make her laugh. Noa, realizing that Mua must have been born on this island, used this to her advantage and quickly became known as a story teller. She spoke a lot about her world during meals and the children loved it. Bibi would laugh and Obi would watch her with interest as she spoke. Noa liked this new role and was finding a great friend in Mua.

As she worked, Noa would stop and watch the children in between trips to the ocean and smile. She still wasn't sure that she wasn't dreaming, still not sure how she wound up here and why the children knew her, but she was actually enjoying herself. While she sorted out the mystery in her own mind, she was forming a family and friends that seemed to truly love her and accept her.

You Guys are so great!

Chapter 3, here we come!

Chapter Three
Coen's Discovery

A year passed and every day seemed the same and different in their own ways. The same chores needed to be done each day but yet, each day seemed an adventure. The hut was half way finished, Mua was getting closer to research advancements and Noa was completely relaxed in her role as provider and seemed to grow closer to Obi each day, although he still has not spoken a word. Noa wondered if he was even capable of speech. But she feared that he viewed her as a friend or a sister when she thought more of him. He wasn't much older than her, she told herself, only 5 years. But at 16, she figured she still had time. They were both adept at fishing now and as long as she could continue to share this one thing with Obi, she was happy. But she still couldn't bring herself to talk to Mua about Obi. At home, she always spoke with her girlfriends about boys. Mua had become closer to her than any of her friends at home had ever been, yet she couldn't speak of Obi to her. And Noa couldn't figure out why.

While she was heading back into the ocean one day she heard Coen call out from the near by coconut trees. She rushed over to him and found he had discovered a gigantic coconut. It was too heavy for her to lift alone so she called out for Obi who was near to help. Together they carried it back to the camp. Bibi tried to open it but the outer shell was simply too tough. Mua sorted through the tools they had gathered but couldn't find a single tool to open it. Perplexed and excited, the group looked at each other for a solution.

"We could try to soften it in the water" said Bibi, perking up.

"Or, we could throw it off the diving rock!" said Noa. They both looked at Obi as if to ask him what he thought they should do. He looked at each girl and smiled. Looking at Noa, he nodded towards the diving rock. She smiled back, "okay, let's do it then!" Together they picked up the coconut and worked together to get the large mass to the top of the diving rock. They stood together and with all their might, threw the coconut off the top.

Bibi ran to the coconut and shrieked in excitement as Noa and Obi scrambled down the rock to meet her. "It worked, it worked!" she cried out, "It cracked a little and I think I can wedge a stone in here!" She grabbed a nearby narrow stone and managed to crack the coconut in half. Noa screamed and jumped up and down. "I can't believe we did it!!" She turned to Obi who smiled at her and suddenly reached out and gave her a hug.

Completely shocked, Noa didn't know what to make of this. She looked in Obi's twinkling eyes and returned his smile. She was completely unaware of Bibi grinning beside her or the others running up to see what happened. Was Obi trying to tell her something? Or was he just simply saying "good job". She backed away and turned to others. "How about a party tonight?" she said, elated. And that night, they all celebrated, dancing, singing, laughing and enjoying the sweetest coconut they had ever tasted and drinking the smooth milk. Mua was seen constantly grabbing bits of coconut skin and shell and stowing them in the research hut, but she always returned quickly to continue with the party. They stayed up late, enjoying each other, enjoying their new family.

To comment on this story, click here.

Edited by LadyCFII (08/01/08 08:19 PM)