Kelila, awesome idea! I loved those toys when they were still being made! You could do any number of things with the landscapes. There could be little interactive parts, like a crate that breaks open and then seals again for part of the gong. A hidden hole under flap of paper or thin plastic over the lagoon for another piece. And the thorns could be plastic bits that lift off. The ruins could be similar to the lagoon and the thorns. And the pieces of the gong could click together and hang in the gong encasement in the top half.

And instead of making the whole area one big playset, make it in areas that are sold separately and lock together. You could even make it so the once you have all of them, the south and west sides hook together into one big one, and keep adding to that with each installment of the game.

And you should be able to but more villagers to add into the village as it grows, something like Funkiroller's suggestion (perfect idea to have expansion packs!), but make them like the original Polly Pockets, all one piece.

I've got more ideas, and I'm off and running, so if you need even more suggestions, just ask!

I think I'll work on that idea myself and perhaps make a few diagrams.... ;\)