I had a grand thought for a story but till i got time to sit down and write this is all i came up with. Awe well.

The Diary of Syriana

The day before the full moon.

Today I turned 14. Although it was not as happy a birthday as I had hoped for. Mom and Dad say that the volcano on this island is going to erupt soon. Many villagers are really scared because we know no other place to call home. It has been smoking for a couple days now. I got a green dress that my mother made and a pearl necklace that my mother also made from pearls that my dad found while fishing. I really like them. My dad is a very skilled builder and farmer, and my mom is an apothecary. I have a little brother too named Simon. I also got this little journal to practice my writing in. Mom says it’s good to write things down so we may learn from our past and never forget it. I got to play with some friends today too for a little while. We played ring around the rosie and skipped rocks across the pond.

The day after the full moon.

I was not able to write for a couple days because in the middle of the night on my birthday the volcano erupted. It was very scary. People were screaming. I awoke to the sound of a very loud noise and mom and dad came running in to get me and Simon. Our small hut was near the water and a lot of villagers had small boats ready in case the volcano erupted. We grabbed some small things we had packed and ran to our boat. Mom and dad began to paddle really fast. A lot of people did not make it to their boats as the volcano came very suddenly. Mom said that Lady Eowen, our goddess, had spared us that night and blessed us for being faithful followers. We did not have much food and it won’t last long. The sun gets really hot during the day and it’s really cold at night. Hopefully we spot land soon. We lost sight of all the other boats in the first night. Simon is 6 and was normally very talkative but he hasn’t spoken since the night the volcano erupted.

5 days after the full moon.

The food is almost gone now. We pray to the goddess every night for some sign of land. I have not been feeling well the past couple days. Mom says it is probably heat sickness. Mom and dad paddle as much as they can during the day but we can not much more than drift during the night. Hopefully we find something soon. Simon and I play little games sometimes and I let him draw pictures in the back of my journal. We try to get him to talk but he still just shakes his head. He has nightmares at night too.

8 days after the full moon.

We finally spotted land today. Dad says it’s only about a day off. Finally Eowen has come through for us. Our food would have run out in a couple more days and we were only eating small meals already. Dad has lost a lot of weight. We will be on land soon. Simon finally started talking today. Mom said Eowen must have come to him the night before and gave him back his speech.

10 days after the full moon.

Our boat was destroyed as we approached the shore. There were really sharp rocks surrounding the small island. We managed to swim the rest of the way. There is only a small inlet and the rest of the island as far as we can see is surrounded by thick jungle. We hope that Eowen will bless us with safety here. Dad constructed a small bamboo hut with only one room for us to stay in. I help mom collect berries during the day while dad tries to catch fish and works on improving our hut. It has not rained since before my birthday and the land is dry, but at least we have berries and fish. Simon follows me and mom around and carries a little basket of berries. He likes to help us.

11 days after the full moon.

We finally got rain today; it was nice because mom, Simon and I danced in the rain. We have not seen any of our fellow villagers since the first night on the water. Mom says hopefully Eowen blessed their travels as well and they made it safely to land. Dad added a room onto our hut today and said that was mine and Simons room. I found a little garden today on the east side of our inlet near the jungle. Mom warned me not to venture in and said it was dangerous but told me if I water it every day flowers will grow. I saw a little monkey today too, he was eating some bananas. Me and Simon played with him a little bit when mom was gathering berries.

The night of no moon.

Dad managed to catch some crabs today for us to eat. They were really good. I have gotten my strength back too. My little monkey friend comes around in the afternoon and plays with me and Simon in my little garden. Dad found a small crate today floating just off shore and brought it back to our hut. It had some tools in it, probably from another villager’s boat that didn’t make it. The tools will help dad work around the island. We have seen things around the island that make us believe there was once villagers here too. The run down garden, a semi carved stone on the east side and we found a broken basket near the jungles edge. There is a cave on the north side of our inlet that is blocked by some large boulders as well. We wonder what happened to them. Mom says Eowen will protect us.

10 days before the full moon.

We have a surplus of food now in a storage hut that dad built. We have decided to carve the stone to honor our goddess Eowen. It will take a couple days. Mom also found some herbs around the island that we can use as medicine. There is a small lagoon to the north west of the berry patches. This is where we wash our clothes and bathe. It is really pretty. The water comes off a small waterfall into the little lagoon. The water is very refreshing and sparkling blue. This is what we use as drinking water also. Still no sign of other villagers. We hope maybe some landed on another part of the island. Dad may go exploring tomorrow. Eowen has been good to us.

7 days before the full moon.

Dad went exploring a couple days ago and to our surprise he came back with a friend of ours, Mr. Tuman. He was pretty sick and mom tended to him most of the day. He said no one else that was on his boat made it and his boat too was destroyed on the rocks of the island. Dad says he will make it ok, and can help us to start a new village. Mom found a plant near the lagoon that has very special fruit that makes us feel really good. It also helped Mr Tuman to get better sooner. Mr. Tuman was an alchemist in our old land. He will be of great help to us here. He said he once read a book at our village library about an island called the Island of pearls. He wonders if this is where we are. The book was very vague and was based on a travelers account who had landed on our island a long time ago. He spoke of a prophecy involving a golden child, and treasure. He said it is unknown what had happened to the other villagers on the island as the traveler had refused to talk about it but he is pretty sure this is the island he read about. I wonder if we are on the Island of Pearls.?

4 days before the full moon.

Dad and Mr. Tuman built another hut today so he could have a place of his own to live. We are doing pretty good in our new home. My garden has some pretty flowers in it now too. Me and Simon have been watering it with water from our lagoon every day. Mom gave me some great news today. She told me that Eowen has blessed us greatly in about 9 moon cycles they will have a baby. I am very excited. Mr. Tuman was able to combine some of our herbs and make them stronger as well. We also finished the statue honoring Eowen yesterday. It looks as though things are going pretty good for us now. It is sad what happened, and I miss my friends, but Eowen has been good to us and I thank her every night.

The day of the full moon.

It has now been one moon cycle since we left our old island and everything we knew. I have learned a lot since we landed here on this island and I take care of my brother Simon a lot while mom, dad and Mr. Tuman work. Mom says maybe one day my writings can go into our new library that we plan to build here. I wrote a little poem today. Here is how it goes.

On this island we now call our land
With a small white beach all covered in sand
A Lagoon up north with water crystal blue
A garden to the east that we have made a new.

A prophecy of a child covered all in gold
On this island of pearls where a story was told
A home weve made with Eowens blessing
A new life we build with each days passing.