I'm having the same issues with my BF game - they've already comped me a game and can only offer the standard procedure for freezing. I've updated everything I can possibly update, and there is no game forum whatsoever to get tech help or share tips. I don't care about the lousy $7 for the game, I want to PLAY it! The walkthrus and cheats I can find pertain to the app version, so are only so much help.
I finished collection #2 first, and noticed a box grew, but nothing else happened. Later, I hit the collect button again with the same effect. The collect button remains 'lit' but no actual reward other than boxes stacking up. I don't think I got a pop increase, either. I've fixed all damaged bldgs, built the new residence, dam, aqueduct and school, completed both collections and finished the first daily reward thing a few days ago (that grew boxes and froze, too, then fixed itself). My max population is 36. That seems low.
What was the reward for 20 crates supposed to be? And is there another set of collectibles after the first 2 complete?
Grrrr! I am so frustrated and exhausted from searching the net for answers!