I've been playing VT for some months now. My stats are this:
Current population: 10
Cap. Project comp: 5 (all)
Town features: 46
Trees: 175
Plants: 685
Mayors: 18
Steps: 823,268

Minerals: there are 4 groups of minerals in the museum. Going left to right, I have all but the last one in the 3rd group. If anyone knows the name of this mineral, I'd appreciate if you would post it.

Plants: there are 6 groups in the museum counting upper left to lower right. This may be misleading since the plant names are in different colors. Group 1 is white ( these are the seeds you buy in the general store). Group 2 the names are in blue, groups 3 and 4 are pink and groups 5 and 6 are green. I have no idea what the significance of the name color is. I have all the plants.

Bugs: there are 3 groups of bugs going left to right in the museum. I have all but the last one in the 2nd group and the last one in the 3rd group. Again, I would appreciate if someone would post the names of each of these 2 bugs.

Comments on breeding.
There are 5 original plants in the general store. Taking these plants 2x2, they should produce 10 different hybrids. Assuming the name color is a code, there is no group of 10 plants that have the same name color. What this tells me is that at least one of the "white" plants (plant withe a white name) is not a purebred plant, but a hybrid. They may all be hybrids for that matter. This makes predicting what the offspring of two different plants nearly impossible because of the limitation to 700 plants. What is more revealing is to cross two plants if the same variety and see what they produce. My experience with the Daisy Lemonbush is that it produces only itself, leading me to believe that it may be a purebred. Still working this train of thought.

Comments appreciated.

The bugs etc are in different places for each player. I think it's the order you catch them, in subsets.
You're probably missing the banana slug or worm.
See the thread I started with complete lists, and you can tell by the process of elimination.