It is definitely a bit more difficult to earn money in VF2 vs VF1, but not impossible. I made sure to choose someone with a starting salary of 15 because by the time they reach level 8, they will be earning 690. I also chose a partner that works in the area so they could share resources.

By the time my first generation passed away I had over 50k and when the second generation ended, I had over 100k. Right now I am maintaining it at 70k-80k due to increased costs of career upgrades and renovations. Don't bother with furniture unless it is on sale and you need it for the first 2 generations. After my second generation I bought sale items that weren't a necessity because I had the money.

Another reason why it is slower to earn money is VF2 is the lower interest rate. In VF1 you get 10% interest from the bank whereas in VF2 you get 1% unless you pay $0.99 for a 2% increase.

Essentially, you need to be very frugal in the beginning and make sure they are constantly working and picking up collectables.