I have been very conservative in converting the heathens because I was afraid there wouldn't be enough. One way to get or increase devotion skill.
Click to reveal..
If your peep has any devotion skill you can increase it by dropping him/her into the lake, provided the lake has not been revived. Dropping your person into the lake causes them to decide to do something: walk along the stream, eat, study , build, OR HONOR. When the caption says honoring, they will go to the statute. If they need to go again, just drop the peep back into the lake until they decide to honor. After they have been in the lake a couple of times they are usually trainees and will continue to gain devotion skills. It's how I have gotten most of my masters.

If they don't have any devotion skill and dropping them in the lake doesn't work, then I will have them talk to a heathen.

I haven't revived the lake yet, I'm just using the hand of bloom to keep the garden going. I just realized you can probably just drop them in place and you wouldn't need to use the lake. I'm off to see if that works.

The other way is to set both parents skills to devotion before they embrace. Hope this helps.