I hope you don't think this chapter is too long. I'm sorry I took so long to post another chapter. I blame School and the torture they call "homework". I'll try to post more frequently!

Napa's Symphony

"There! Finished!" exclaimed Alohi, walking away from the nets. The storm had damaged the nets only a little, but enough to make us worry about them. Something was tugging at my hand. I looked down and saw Napa gazing up
at me. " Follow me, Persephone!" She grabbed my hand and ran to a small area, when everyone had gone to start working. " Look! My frogs don't have water so they're not happy and won't sing for me! Please, pretty please, help me!" She cried. I looked back. I needed to met with Rasche to build our hut pretty soon. I crouched down to her size and said " Look, I need to go soon, but While I'm gone, Why don't you think about a temporary home for the frogs,
okay?" Napa shook her head up and down as an answer and ran off to a different direction. I ran to the hut, hoping not to be late.

I finished the curtains, the bed sheets and now I was just starting on the baby hammock. Rasche finished some shelves and was now making the bed. Making the mattress was about the hardest and and funnest part of making the bed. I just couldn't bring myself to pluck feathers from innocent birds, so I stuffed it with a collection of leftover cloth, leaves, and petals. We both had a few cuts, But they're the kind of cuts that are easily healed. Knotting the soft cloth in between the knots was surprisingly easily. Beginning the hammock was hard and sometimes the knots would fall apart. Finally, I was finished. I looked at my hands and saw that they were red and had a couple blisters. " Rasche, I finished with the hammock. Do you need any help with the bed?" I said as I walked over to where he was working.
" Actually, I just finished, too." He replied. " Well, then" I said, " I guess we've finished!". He looked around our hut and said " Yep, We have finally finished." He exclaimed. I gave him a hug and we both walked outside. The sun was setting, Making the sunlight dance on the waves. " Well, I think we both have things we need to do. I have dinner duty tonight. Wish me luck that I don't burn dinner to a crisp. I gotta run! Bye!" and Rasche ran off towards the lab. I decided to go check on Napa,

I sat down besides Napa and watched the frogs swim and jump in the bowl of
freshwater she had brought them. " Napa, did you figure out where you're going to put the frogs?" I asked. " Yes" She boasted " and I will tell everyone at dinner. Also, Watch this!" Napa picked up a flute and played a small tune. The frogs in the bowl croaked back the same small tune she had played. " Napa, Where did you.." I started, but Napa cut me off. " The frogs only play for me and" She said proudly ."Alohi taught me. He's really good at it, but he won't play anymore since....a close friend of his died." her proud look was replaced by a sad frown. I felt horrible for making her sad. " Napa, I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have asked. I could teach a couple of tunes my cousin taught me if you want." I apologized. Napa put a smile on her face and said " It's okay. You didn't know. I would love it if you would teach some flute songs!". I picked up the flute and started to teach her.

The fire was warm and bright, making it a perfect night to eat outside. Annaleigh had set up dinner over by the fire tonight, even though Alohi thought it was going to rain. We were all recounting the day's events and just having a good time.The strange thing was that Napa wasn't talking. At all. Annaleigh was telling us a joke when Napa stood up, clutching her small flute. She cleared her throat and said " I want to bring the frogs up to the stream by the Tree of Life, once it rains. Could we please do that?"She looked at us all nervously, as if we would n't let this happen. Annaleigh said " I don't see any harm in doing this, so let's do it after dinner." The conversation went on, but Alohi took no part in it.

Later, after dinner, Napa sat on the beach watching the waves roll in and out.
" You know how Alohi wouldn't talk after my announcement at dinner? Well, it was because I was holding the wind flute that his best friend had carved for him. His best friend died of the sickness." Napa said, with a sigh. I was confused. If one my friends had made a homemade gift and then died, I would treasure it forever." But Napa" I said, " Why won't he play the flute that his dead friend made for him before he died? That doesn't make sense to me." Napa looked at me and said " On the night that he died, Alohi tried to play a song for him. He was the one everyone believed that would survive. When Alohi was well into the song, His friend died. Alohi believed it was his fault and threw the flute into the tide pool. He said he would never play it again. I found the flute there and played it whenever I think Alohi isn't near enough to hear or see me play. " I thought for a minute and said " well, Still you should show him your little act with your frogs. It might help him think about playing the flute again."

We watched as Napa put the last frog in while rubbed our hands together to keep from getting cold in the rain. She turned to us and took out her flute. I didn't think she would try to play it now in the cold rain. But then again, I thought, Napa always is unpredictable. I look at Alohi's face and saw a mix of surprise, sadness, and anger.I quickly turned my attention back to Napa. Her face was white from the chilling rain. Or was it the emotion on Alohi's face? Or nervousness? I guess we'll find out soon enough. Rasche thought this was a another one of Napa's unpredictable ways. Shaking, Napa Put the flute to her mouth and began to play.Three measures later two frogs jumped out of the water and croaked back the same tune. Alohi's face showed his surprise. Napa played the flute a bit more and then frogs croaked back the same tune and hastily jumped back into the river, their new home. The rain was slowing down, But it hadn't stopped yet. Annaleigh said
" We should all get inside before my lips turn blue."

In the knitting hut, Rasche, Annaleigh, and I asked Napa questions about the flute and the frogs, Alohi remained quiet, deep in thought. Napa answered the questions, but she looked distracted, waiting for Alohi's reaction. Finally, Alohi cleared his throat and said " That was very interesting Napa. I didn't now that you taught yourself how to play the flute. I may not remember much, But may I try playing the flute again?" Napa's eyes were tearing up and a happy smile was stretched across her face. She handed the flute to her brother and Alohi put the flute to his mouth. He began to play one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard.

Pretty Long, right? Happy Holidays!

Avvi by AR