Originally Posted By: Rockmower
I happen to be a Christian and an ordained minister. I know at least one member who is a Messianic Jew, and another who is an Orthodox Jew. I know a couple of members who are of the Muslim faith and am pretty sure that one other is likely Hindu.

I feel LDW has done an admirable job of keeping religion OUT of the games. I have no more problem reconstructing the statue and ruins in VV1 than I do reading articles related to the Moi on Easter Island or of Stonehenge. The same goes for the puzzles and challenges in the other games.

You can add Atheist/Buddhist to that list. I do not believe in a God, but I do believe that there should be some sort of code that I should try to live up to. I choose the basic tenants of Buddhism, although I wouldn't presume to tell you which code you should follow. I could have just as easily chosen The Bushido, or The Five Rings, or Plato's Republic.

Atheists tend to be as offended as any religious group with the insertion of religion where it shouldn't really belong, such as the opening of the sessions of Congress (USA), or secular games like this series. I don't like taking part in public prayers, for example, any more than I would like being referred to a shaman for my toothache. If I felt as though this game was trying to force me into a religion, even a made-up one, I wouldn't play it.

I have never had any problem with either statue, rain dancing, any temple or similar structure, the Golden Child, or the ghost story in VV3. I don't consider it a religion per se, more of a culture or a fantasy, no different than Neil Gaiman's novels. I've barely scratched the surface in VV4, but I'd be shocked if I was offended by any pagan overtones.

My thought is that if you do not enjoy a game, do not play it. Any reason will do, be it boring game play, graphics, overall experience, lack of challenge, or any other reason that you could come up with. If you do enjoy the game, play it. It should be that simple.