Comments board will be up as soon as I get the chance. This is my first fan-fic posted on the forums, hope you like!

P.S. Might add pictures, if I get the time.

P.S.S. If you think you see some spelling errors where Kitty is talking in this first chapter, those aren't errors. She's three and I was trying to portray the way a three-year-old talks. My sisters all thought that I didn't actually know how to spell "fixed" when they read this. XD

Chapter One: The Origin of the Tribe

Kitty was just three years old, and stared with wide eyes at the vast ocean. She heard feet press softy into the sand behind her and turned to see her mother walking to her. She smiled and sat down next to Kitty, and for a minute or two they happily sat and listened to the light waves lick the sand. Her mother sighed and lay down on he back, “Kitty, do you know the story of this tribe?”

Kitty thought for a second and shook her head, “I didn’t know we had a stowy. The only stowies Unity tells is about the day they fixted the twee.”

Her mother laughed, “Unity likes that story best, as she was there. She tells it well, too.” She stopped laughing and turned her head to Kitty’s small body sitting in the sand. “Anyway, this story I’m about to tell you is a very important one, since you will be in charge some day.”

Kitty gasped and smiled, “You mean I get to be a leadew someday? Just like Great-Granny?”

“Yes,” Her mother said with another soft laugh, “when your great-grandma Sonnet dies, Granny Wren will become leader, and when she dies, I will. Then after me, you. And then someday, your first-born will become leader.”

“That’s a long time to wait!” Kitty said, not fully understanding this concept. It wasn’t quite sunken in that the passing of leadership in the tribe could only be marked by a death.

Her mother smiled, “It sounds that way, but before you know it, you’re grown up with kids of your own. Feels like just yesterday I was you.”

Kitty still didn’t really understand, but listened anyway. She liked her mother’s voice, it was as calm and soothing as the ocean. She lay back like her mother and stared up at the clouds as her mother began to tell the story.

“Almost two hundred years ago, there was a tribe. In that tribe there was a mighty chief, and he noticed that all of Isola’s wonders were slowly diminishing. He decided to select a band of villagers to find out why, and fix the problem. Those villagers were our ancestors, Acacia, Blithe, Celeste, Deja, and Earth. They’re the first ones buried in the Mausoleum, if you’ve ever looked.

“Anyway, these villagers traveled for many days and nights, before coming upon our village, where we live now. It wasn’t like it was now. It was dirty, and broken, and abandoned, and our beautiful banyan tree was near death. They knew that they had found the island’s source of problems and decided to stay long enough to heal it. They also decided that they would need a leader for this large project, and decided upon the chief’s daughter, Celeste. When Celeste died, the tribe panicked. They never thought they’d be gone long enough for the original five to die out. They appointed her first born son, Hawthorne, to be the new Leader.”

Kitty slipped halfway into sleep for the next part of the story. Her belly was full of warm fish stew, and the soothing ocean and warm sand was like a perfect lullaby. Her mother went on,

“Eventually, after many generations, the tree was fully restored. Unfortunately, the knowledge of the way back to the original tribe was lost forever, so we stayed. Maybe someday we will find a way back, but there’s no rush. It’s nice here, and this is where we’ve all grown up.”

Kitty drowsily nodded. Her mother looked over at her and smiled. She stood and brushed the sand from her dress. “Come on, honey. Let’s go back to the hut and get some sleep.” She scooped up Kitty in her arms and walked back to the hut as the sunset painted the sky behind them. Kitty faintly mumbled some unintelligible thanks, and fell into deep sleep.

The COMMENTS thread is located here.

Edited by Rockmower (08/03/10 12:41 AM)
Edit Reason: insert cross link