What you have to do is:

Click to reveal..
Gather all the herbs first, then boil the fresh water, add the herbs, then drag individual villagers first to the pot, then to the food source. I would only do this when the rock is heated (in the fire), and you can see a mushroom. Or, just keep heating rocks. Either way works. You will need: Mushroom, cooked fruit, fish,berries, and 2 bowls of food from storage. When the herbs are added, drag a villager to the pot. They shoud refuse because "an unfinished stew is cooking". Just drag the kid to the pot, and don't worry that his subject line doesn't say anything. Then drag your villager to their chosen food source, and their subject line should read, "adding to the stew", with the exception on the fruit, which will look normal. If this is all done right, when a villager eats it, it should say "somthingsmells YUMMY!" All the other villagers will have the same status, and they will all run by the fire.