I checked off most of the boxes listed except local driving. Since moving from a tiny town 10 yrs ago to a somewhat larger city most of our needs can be found within a 10 mile radius. It even boasts a one screen movie theater with a two dollar afternoon matinee!
As executive director (haha) of a very large family, many money saving protocols were devised and implemented by me throughout the years.These were rigorously and rigidly adhered to. Personal monetary requests were usually answered by a brusque "No, we can't afford it!". Now this cold and brutal external armor was erected to hide a miserable and sorrowful interior as once again I had to deny and dim a childs' small and hopeful wish. This was back in the 1980's. By 1987 I had to leave my kids to essentially raise and monitor themselves so I could join my husband in the workforce. This lasted for 17 years well after that aweful recession. But the memories still linger and they are harsh.
And here we are again in the midsts of another and far crueller national crisis. Some personal observations:
On the up side gas prices are at record lows.
More people are selling excess luxury possessions at a fraction of their cost in their yard sales, on-line and in newspapers.
There are many more fresh produce stands in vacant shop parking lots and their prices are very reasonable.
Most of todays' fashionable outfits are so gruesome (and short) I wouldn't dress my dog in them much less pay their exorbitant prices to partially drape my body.
Families are rediscovering and reforging closer bonds while gathered around the manditory at home evening meal.
Survival is a matter of perspective and positive thinking and yes, some self denial and self sacrifice. If today you must give up or put off a wanted but not needed acquisition that doesn't mean forever. The job you lost to corporate downsizing just means exploring other options outside your mental box. Any job trumps no job even if it's delivering pizzas.
In summation to my impulsive essay I simply want to say that what goes around, comes around. Night always follows day. Rain always follows drought. Todays recession is tomorrows golden opportunity.
The end.