Chapter 30
Love and Sadness

"Noa! Noa! Come here, we need you. Now!" Noa stirred in bed as Obi nudged her. She opened her eyes and realized someone was pounding on the door.

"I'm coming, I'm coming!" she grumbled as she started to get up.

"Bring Obi!" called Piku and they heard him run from the hut. The two shot out of bed and followed. Noa's heart sank as she realized that Piku was running to Bibi's hut. She ran faster and didn't notice Obi stop as comprehension dawned on his face. She entered the hut and saw Bibi looking pale and weak. Mua was washing her forehead with a cold cloth.

"Help her Noa." Mua said simply, not looking up. Concern for their friend, their mother, was all over her face. Noa examined Bibi but after checking for every disease known to the tribe, checking for broken bones, anything that could be ailing her, she found nothing. Bibi opened her eyes and looked at the two. Piku retreated outside to wait with Obi.

"Stop Noa. There's nothing you can do for me." She said in a tiny voice. Noa started to cry and Mua followed.

"I know, I know I can't!" sobbed Noa. "I can't help you this time." A tear started down Bibi's cheek but she managed a smile. Mua looked at the cloth in her hand then threw it across the bed at Noa.

"Stop it Noa! Stop it!" she yelled, anger in her voice. "Stop sitting there and help her! Fix her! You're our healer!" Noa got up and walked around the bed and held Mua. Mua fought her, started to hit her. "You have to help her! You just have to!" she cried. But Noa ignored her words and grabbed her hands. With the strength of the men in the tribe she overpowered Mua and held her tight. Mua sobbed uncontrollably and Noa cried with her reaching out a hand to take Bibi's. "Why can't you help her?" stuttered Mua through sobs.

"I'm old, honey!" whispered Bibi. "It's my time, I'm dying." She did not sound frightened, she did not sound sad. She spoke with wisdom and a hint of excitement. Mua started to calm down and Noa lessened her grip.

"There's no cure for old age." Said Noa simply and she looked at Bibi. "All we can do is make her comfortable."

"I want to see my brother." Said Bibi. Noa nodded and pulled Mua up. Noa reached out and kissed Bibi on the forhead. "I love you." She said then turned to the door. When Noa emerged, her eyes immediately found Obi's. He looked utterly distraught and Noa went to meet him while Mua rushed into Piku's arms, still crying. Obi stepped forward then pushed passed Noa and marched into the hut, leaving Noa alone outside. The others had started to come forward, word passing around that Bibi was sick. Piku left Mua for minute and walked to Noa. He pulled her close and kissed her cheek. "You know where to find me if you need me." He said and then turning back to Mua he added, "Sis." Noa's children all surrounded her and hugged her. The older children understood how much Bibi meant to their mother, to the whole tribe. Little Azizi and Solo did not seem to understand what was happening. Tiki hugged Noa again and pulled two aside to try to explain the situation. The family waited for a long time while Obi remained in the hut with his sister. The tribe had gone back to their duties, Piku laid Mua down in their hut to rest. Jem and Coen gathered Weeko and Nada and tried to distract the two but they knew something was wrong with their new mother. Noa and her children waited, not moving, not speaking, simply watching the hut for any sign of movement.

A long time later, or maybe no time at all, no one could know for sure, Obi emerged from the hut. He was walking tall, the look on his face unreadable. Except to Noa, who watched his eyes. After a couple steps, Obi fell to his knees and broke down into large, convulsive sobs. Noa rushed forward and held him tight, the children following. The eight of them huddled on the ground, crying together. Slowly, the tribe members rejoined them, and circled around them. No one spoke a word, no one needed to. They all saw it on Obi's tear stained face.

Bibi had left them forever.