Chapter 29
The Gong of Wonder

"You do the honors." Coen said to Ahi. "This is your discovery, this is what you've been working on. You finish it." And he stood and backed away. Ahi picked up the metal piece and carried it over to the stone figure. As soon as he attached it to the other pieces, the four parts fused together, leaving no trace of a seam. The finished piece glowed briefly and words appeared upon it. Ahi stepped forward and read.

"You have restored the Gong Of Wonder.
While its power and purpose remain unclear to all who came before you,
It shall stand magnificently in your village
And remain a source of great pride to everyone."

"Ring it!" cried Aida from the front of the crowd.

"Yeah, ring it daddy! Cried little Nunai, looking at her father in excitement. Ahi smiled at his daughter and picked up a large stick. He put a hand out to Nunai, "Only if you help me." She ran over to him and Ahi lifted her up. Together, they hit the gong as hard as they could. It gave a loud, low, glorious sound. Everyone paused to see what would happen. After a moment, Noa spoke up. "Maybe nothing happens after all."

"No, look!" gasped Jem, pointing at the food bin. It was utterly overflowing with food. Three times more food then there had been that morning.

"It's unbelieveable!" cried Piku. Ahi, hit it again!" Ahi turned back to the gong and again hit the gong. This time no sound ensued. He stood there, a blank look on his face. He set Nunai down and moved her behind him. He reared back and with every ounce of strength, hit the gong one more time. Again, no sound came out.

"This can't be right" said Akio. "It grants one magical gift and that's it? Nothing more, ever again? After all the work you put into it!" He sounded angry. Hurt in his voice for his older brother.

"Patience Aiko." Spoke Obi. "I have a feeling that it will ring again, it just needs time. We didn't build this tribe, our beautiful home in one day. I think the Gong is refusing to grant all of our wishes in one day as well. Perhaps we shall try again tomorrow."

Slowly the tribe broke apart but Ahi remained, fixated on the gong. Finally, Aida approached him and put her arm around him. He moved to pull her close but continued to look at the gong. "Honey, let's go. Nunai wants you to tuck her in."

"I failed Aida. Right after my father and brother and friends honor me with an amazing gift. They called me a 'Master' and then I fail on this gong."

"Don't say that Ahi!" said Aida firmly. "You didn't fail. Did you not listen to your father? Did you not hear a word he said? Did you not see what happened to our food?" she paused to turn to Ahi. "The gong worked Ahi. It performed a miraculous feat! I believe that Obi is right, it needs time until it performs another act. Go. Go be with your daughter. You know she's daddy's little girl, she loves when you tuck her in. We'll come back to the Gong tomorrow." Ahi nodded and turned to walk with his wife back to the hut. Deep down, he knew she was right.