Chapter 25
The New Arrivals

Noa and Mua were relaxing on the beach, admiring the ocean and laughing over each others ever growing bellies when Noa saw something floating just offshore.

"What is that?" she asked Mua. Mua looked out and saw what Noa was looking at.

"I'm not sure" she said "It kind of looks like a barrel or something." The two looked at each other and turned quickly.

"Obi!" Noa yelled and Mua hollered "Piku!" The two men rushed over and after being shown the ocean promptly swam out to pull the barrel to shore. Coen, overhearing the commotion, rushed over with a spear to pry the barrel open with. As the men popped the top of the barrel off, Noa screamed at the top of her lungs. Wedged inside the barrel were two very small, very scared, and very hungry looking children, a boy and a girl. Obi reached in to pull them out the boy bit Obi's hand. He pulled back and looked at them, far from angry at the attack but very concerned. "I won't hurt you, I'm here to help." Obi said. His deep smooth voice seemed to calm the children and they allowed him to help them out of the barrel.

Mua knelt down carefully and turning to the boy, who appeared slightly older asked, "Do you have a name?"

"Weeko" he said in a scared voice, barely audible. "Nada" his said again, indicating the little girl.

"Is she your sister?" Mua urged. Weeko shook his head, no. "Where did you come from?" He shook his head again. Nada was crying silently, tears streaming down her face. She looked utterly terrified and both appeared starved and ill.

Noa stepped forward and took the little girls hand. "I'm going to make you feel better Nada, come with me now." And she turned towards her hut, where most of her medical supplies were stored. Obi reached out and picked Weeko up and followed Noa. After fixing the minor wounds the children had and giving them some herbs to help them feel better she turned to Obi and started to treat the bite on his hand.

"They'll have to stay, Obi. They're all alone and so small. We need to make them a part of our tribe." Obi nodded.

After a few days, Weeko and Nada were obviously doing better. The younger children took them in and played with them, and with Noa's constant care and medicines, they were showing much more strength and energy. The older tribe members gathered that night by the fire, after the children had gone to bed to discuss the children's fate.

"They need a parental figure" said Coen. "They can't grow up here without a parent." Jem agreed.

"But who?" asked Piku. "We all have pretty full families as it is. Are huts are already crowded." Mua put her hand on Piku's.

"I guess Obi and I could take one of them." Said Noa.

"We'll take the other" said Coen firmly. Jem looked at him in amazement. Coen always fainted at the slightest indication of children. And now he was offering to take another in. Everyone started talking at once, suddenly all wanting to help. Only Obi and Bibi remained silent.

Obi stood up and firmly stated, "No!". Everyone stopped and looked at him. "Bibi should take them. She has no children of her own, this is her chance." They all looked at Bibi.

"Obi" she said, "I'm so old now, I don't know how much more time I have!" It wouldn't be fair to them!"

"Yes it would!" said Mua, "You practically raised all of us, you could do this. Obi's right, you should take them."

"But what if I'm not here to see them to adulthood?"

"Then we'll all step in and take over. But if and until that time comes, the children will be yours." Said Obi with a definite air of finality.