Chapter 23
The Proposal

As the excitement of Noa's pregnancy hung over the tribe for the next few weeks, Ahi approached Piku one day. "Can I have a word?" he asked his elder.

"Sure Ahi. Let's go for a walk." Piku said and put an arm on the young man's shoulder. Piku knew why Ahi wanted to talk, he'd been expecting this but wanted to allow Ahi to speak his mind.

Once they were away from the camp Ahi stopped and looked at Piku, fear flashed across his face but Ahi shook his head, took a breath and squared his shoulders. "Sir" he started, "as you know, Aida just turned 18 and well..." he paused and looked at the ground. Piku waited patiently while Ahi composed himself. Ahi took another breath and said very quickly "I love her very much and I want your permission to ask her to marry me." Ahi exhaled and then smiled. He did it. He'd been dreading this moment and he made it through. But then he noticed Piku's stern look and his face fell, shoulder's slumped.

"Ahi, this is my daughter you're talking about. My oldest, my precious little girl. Why would I allow any man take her innocence from her. My girls and too good for that." Ahi felt like he was going to be sick. He started to stammer and then Piku reached out and put his hands on Ahi's shoulders and laughed. "I'm just kidding!" he said to Ahi. "I just couldn't resist seeing the look on your face. Mua and I would be honored to have you as a son. You and Aida will make a wonderful couple." And he pulled Ahi close to him and hugged him.

Two weeks later, the tribe celebrated another beautiful wedding. Aida and Ahi tried for many months to conceive. As Noa approached her delivery date, Aida was starting to become discouraged.

"Don't worry Aida" Mua said to her daughter one day. "Your father and I were married for some years before you came along. It sometimes just takes time."

"I know Mom, it's just tough. It seems like Noa and Obi just think about getting pregnant and suddenly they are. Ahi and I want children so badly, I'm just worried that maybe we can't.

"It will happen, patience Aida." Mua said hugging her daughter. "There's a reason you're not pregnant yet. We may not know what that reason is yet, but there's a reason. Just have faith." Aida nodded, holding back tears.

A few weeks later, Noa gave birth to their 5th child, a cute little boy who looked like Ahi had when he was born. Obi was full of pride as their family continued to grow. He had always wanted a large family.

When the time came, two years later, Azizi was named. Obi had again provided the name and Noa promptly asked where the name had come from. Obi smiled and shrugged, "It's sounded right, and it started with an 'A'. All our boys' names start with an 'A'. I just made it up." Noa laughed hard. After four children with important meaningful names, her dear husband just made a name up. But she loved the name anyway.

"You know that wish you had for a big family Obi?" Noa asked, blushing a little. Obi nodded. "Well, it seems that it's going to keep growing!"