And the story continues...

Chapter Twelve
The Baby

Eight months later, Noa and Mua, now 18, were working at the research table training Coen, now 14, Bibi and Piku on science and research. The dam was finished and the crops were thriving. With Noa about to give birth and take leave to nurse the baby, Bibi and Piku thought it would be best to help with research for a while, until they figured out what their next construction project would be.

Obi was busy working the crops when suddenly, Noa was bent over in pain.

"Ooh!" she cried, "Ooh, it hurts!"

"What's wrong?" asked Piku, concerned. Mua and Bibi looked at each other and shouted together, "She's in labor!" Obi heard the girls cry out and ran over to Noa. He picked her up and carried her to the hut. Mua and Bibi followed. After shooing Obi out of the hut, ensuring they would take good care of Noa, he joined Piku outside the hut and paced. Every scream, every shout, Obi went to rush into the hut but Piku stopped him, "She's fine, really. The girls will take care of her, just let them work!"

Hours later, Noa's cries of pain suddenly stopped. Obi froze and looked at the hut, terrified. Piku put his arm over his friends' shoulder and together, they waited and listened. And then they heard it. A cry. But not Noa's cries. A tiny, small, strangled cry. Bibi ran out of the hut and hugged her brother, tears streaming down her face.

"It's a boy! And he's perfect! I'm an aunt! You're a father!" And she hugged Obi again. "Go and see your son" she said pulling away.

In the hut, Obi went over to Noa, who was holding their son. He was a beautiful boy, with a shock of dark red hair. "He looks just like you." Bibi said to Obi. "Well, you before your hair turned silver that is!" she added laughing. Obi picked up his son and stared at him. He was sleeping, and gorgeous, and perfect all at the same time. He look down at Noa and kissed her. When he lifted his head, a big tear was falling down his cheek. Noa smiled and nodded.

Over the next few weeks, Noa nursed their little boy. She wanted so badly to name him, to give him his personality, but was constantly reminded by Bibi that she needed to wait. While sitting by the lagoon one day, bathing her baby, Mua approached her.

"Can I ask you something?" she asked Noa.

"Sure, what is it?" Noa replied.

"Well, I was wondering if you would be my witness?"

"Witness for what?" Noa said distractedly. But then it dawned on her. "No, really? But Piku's not 18 yet, not for a few more months!"

"I know, we're going to wait for the ceremony until he turns 18, but he couldn't wait to ask me!" Mua said, smiling. "And Piku is going to ask Obi to give me away for me". Noa set the baby down carefully and turned to hug her friend.

"Of course I will! How could I possibly say no!"