Chapter Eleven
The Gift

Weeks passed and everything had returned to normal. Noa and Obi worked during the day and retired to their hut at night. One day, Obi walked up to Noa and Mua at the research table, a sad look on his face.

"What's the matter Obi?" asked Noa. He nodded towards the coconut trees and Noa followed him. She gasped as they drew near. The coconuts were almost gone! "Okay" she said turning to Obi, "Don't panic, just let me think a minute." She turned and ran back to Mua, telling her what she saw. Mua smiled. "What are you smiling for?" Noa hissed, "We're almost out of food and we still haven't figured out how to clean up the ocean!"

"Come with me, I want to show you something." Mua said calmly and Noa followed her towards the lagoon.

"You see this dirt here?" Mua said, "I think we could plant vegetables here. We just need to get more water onto it. More than we can carry. But, look at this." She moved towards the narrow part of the lagoon. "I was thinking, if we could get Piku and Bibi to block this off with something, the water will flow to the dirt patch instead. What do you think?" Noa stared at her.

"Mua, you're a genius! I think it might work! When did you figure this out?"

"A few days ago, but I was trying to sort out a few more things before I told you."

"Brilliant Mua, absolutely brilliant" Noa said with pride. "Quick, you go talk to Piku and get them working. I'll go tell Obi. He'll need to start figuring out how to plant crops" She hugged her friend and ran back to Obi.

"Mua figured it out, it's all going to be fine! Piku and Bibi are going to... are going to..." but she couldn't finish. A strange feeling fell over her. She was going to be sick! She ran to the nearby bushes, not wanting Obi to see her and heaved. Obi followed and put a hand on her back. He looked at her with concern.

"Obi" she said after she minute, regaining her composure. "I think... I think I might be pregnant!" A slow smile formed on Obi's face. He jumped up and hugged her, hugged her so hard he lifted her off the ground. He set her down and kissed her. "I take it you're happy then! It's a good gift to give you!" Noa laughed. Obi picked her up and carried her to Mua and Bibi to check her out. After the two women checked her over in the hut, it was confirmed. Noa was pregnant!