Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 233 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Questions about the music
by lorsieab2
04/18/24 06:09 PM
News about updates for our older games on iOS
by Keegan
04/08/24 03:47 PM
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
gbbxox, Blaznbeauty, Police12, ahebidafu, SwedishKaito
30711 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30711 Members
76 Forums
19382 Topics
186933 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#8257 - 04/20/05 02:21 PM Vanishing Villagers
Arthur Administrator Offline
Lead Designer

Loc: San Francisco
As we turn our attention to the most pressing of the bugs, we are now concerned with disappearing villagers.

There seem to be two ways this is happening: The first is when villagers are taking away dead bodies. Any additional observations regarding this are very welcome--please do include the device you are using and what exactly was happening.

The other way it seems to happen is when certain villagers are dropped on the large rock, or the boulder blocking the cave.

If anyone has experienced this, please check in here with what device you are using as well as any additional details regarding the disappearance!

Thanks!

#8258 - 04/20/05 03:00 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey, I just lost one. Villager A died, the first one to die, and one of my other villagers (Villager B) was going to take him to the burial area. Villager C happened to get sick, and I dragged yet another villager (Villager D) on to the sick one. Villager D healed Villager C, then I was dragging her back down to harvest crops, and she disappeared when I dropped her. She no longer shows in the details screen, and my population is one shorter - as if she never existed. I have a Zire 71.

#8259 - 04/20/05 03:05 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
LadyCFII Administrator Offline
Unicorn

Loc: Colorado
Thank you for the information. How many villagers do you have right now?

#8260 - 04/20/05 04:01 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have 12 left at the moment.

#8261 - 04/20/05 08:58 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've got a Tungsten C. Received a fatal error (I didn't note what type of error) and when I return to the game, 7 or 8 villagers were gone, and two graves were missing. There were 10 dead bodies. The village had the same physical progress, but tech points were different than they were before, too.

#8262 - 04/20/05 09:06 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Unicorn

That will happen if you've been running your game for very long prior to a crash. The game is saved only when you exit to the launcher or another app, so when you launch Village Sim again after a crash, you will revert to your previous save game (and things are usually drastically different as a result). It's more important to report the exact kind of crash you had - since that's the real bug, and Arthur can only fix it if he knows what kind of crash you had.

#8263 - 04/20/05 09:40 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sony Clie PEG-TJ37

My villagers vanish too. I've only noticed it after they bury the dead. Also, the game has started to run slowly & not respond to my stylus...

#8264 - 04/20/05 09:43 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
treefern Offline
Guru

Loc: Adelaide, Australia
The slowness of the game may be to do with the amount of villagers. I have only noticed slugishness with the screen refreshing after I have over 50 villagers.

Are you up to this sort of number yet? (sorry don't know which anonymous you are still!!)

#8265 - 04/20/05 09:47 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have 65 vill, GC, 11/12 puzzles, now game is slow technically & otherwise!

#8266 - 04/20/05 09:58 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
JustAGirl Offline
Master

Loc: New York
I posted this on another thread but just for housekeeping/ease of tracking..

I have a Tungsten T5 - the game is being run of the internal memory card.

My first villagers died. I dragged a villager over to the "sacred area for the dead" which prompted her to go to the remains and bury them. I kept her highlighted so I could watch but did not move or touch her during this process. She went, got the bodies, brought them back to the burial area, and two headstones popped up. Then I continued watching and she decided to do an "honor the dead" action. She began walking toward the field of flowers and right when she got to the edge of the field she disappeared. My population count did NOT go down, but she was no longer seen in the detail screen.

As an addition to the story, some more villagers just died and I had a villager that wasn't too talented yet go bury them - he buried and went to the field, gathered flowers and put them near the headstones, no disappearing for him!

---

This is a side note to the disappearing villagers - but I've had a few weird "camera" glitches. I'll poke a villager to get them highlighted, move them to an area like the water to fish or cactus to practice medicine - and instead of staying with the villager the "camera" starts panning back to where I picked them up and it says I have them "held" still. I can move back and re-select them with no problem.

Just an oddity to add to the possible "glitches" - though it doesn't seem to make any kind of bad things happen to my game or make people disappear or whatever.

#8267 - 04/20/05 10:04 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
treefern Offline
Guru

Rebecca, your side note is another one of these harmless oddities that we cannot recreate on demand.

Savi

#8268 - 04/20/05 10:11 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
JustAGirl Offline
Master

Quote:

Rebecca, your side note is another one of these harmless oddities that we cannot recreate on demand.

Savi

Ah - okay Just wondered if it was me or one of the "weirds" floating around! Like I said, it hasn't effected anything so I don't care - but from my other "testing" type things I do I'm used to mentioning EVERYTHING...hehe...I pick too many details sometimes I guess!

#8269 - 04/20/05 10:16 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
treefern Offline
Guru

Report away Rebecca. We could all be pleasantly surprised and find things that are harmlessly reported....are fixed in an upcoming release

Savi

Edited by treefern (04/20/05 10:17 PM)

#8270 - 04/20/05 10:29 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Unicorn

Thanks for the detail, Rebecca! That last bug you described is a known bug, which is also associated with dead/buried villagers. It's another one of the bugs that will probably go away once Arthur and team solve the underlying bug.

#8271 - 04/21/05 06:05 AM Re: Vanishing Villagers
JustAGirl Offline
Master

Sounds good!! I expected things to be less than perfect on this initial release so if all that's going on is a villager disappearing and a stupid crash here or there because my music card is funky (posted about that somewhere else...) then no problem!! I still love this game. In fact my little people are running around the island now! I love watchin' them

#8272 - 04/21/05 10:27 AM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have had vanishing villagers - I put one in the cave and they disappeared but I couldnt repeat it. I couldnt work out the cave thing, every time I put someone in it the screen telling me what the cave is flashes up. Will it ever stop ie once every villager has seen the cave?

I have also had sluggish screen problems, my population is 65 so the previous answer may be relevant here.

Could someone let me know whether I should start again because I have level 3 of everything but no builders left and I would rather start again to get the 12th puzzle solved (I have solved all the others).

Great game

Leila Ferguson
leilaferguson@yahoo.co.uk
Zire 71 and Tungsten C

#8273 - 04/21/05 10:30 AM Re: Vanishing Villagers
TheVillageIdiot Offline
Sage

Loc: Island of Isola
Quote:

Could someone let me know whether I should start again because I have level 3 of everything but no builders left and I would rather start again to get the 12th puzzle solved (I have solved all the others).

Great game

Leila Ferguson

I was like you and decided it would be more fun to start over rather then wait for that event to occur, and who was to say it would occur again? I already had it happened once. I'm now on day two of my new game, and trying a little different strategy.

#8274 - 04/21/05 11:25 AM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have had this happen with two villagers during times when I was not watching to see specifically what happened. No one had died during the time period of the second disappearance. I am using a Treo 600.

#8275 - 04/21/05 03:40 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Anonymous
Unregistered

You could "prevent" from loosing your game if you have a SD card or can copy a file from your Palm user directory on the PC..... Just copy VillageSavegame.pdb to a safe location every now and then so you can restore your game from that point if something fails on the game...

#8276 - 04/21/05 05:06 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have had two more villagers vanish. They were both men who were 'going indoors'.

Leila Ferguson
Zire 71 and Tungsten C

#8277 - 04/21/05 06:32 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Leila Offline
Trainee

Loc: Reading, UK
Also the game keeps crashing again. Do I have to download the fix before each new game? I had started a new game.

Leila

Zire 71 and Tungsten C

#8278 - 04/21/05 06:56 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Unicorn

Did you completely uninstall your old version of the game (and the savegame) before you installed the fix?

#8279 - 04/21/05 07:58 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Lead Designer

No you only need to install the fixed version once.

#8280 - 04/22/05 08:25 AM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Dnac Offline

where do we get the fixed version from??

#8281 - 04/22/05 09:54 AM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Unicorn

You can find it here:
www.ldwsoftware.com/VillageSimFixed.zip
It's a stability fix for people who are having crashes. There are plans to release a Village Sim update.

Edited by ladycfii (04/22/05 09:58 AM)

#8282 - 04/22/05 10:30 AM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Anonymous
Unregistered

sml here,
tungsten c

i am not having any particular problem with vanishing villagers, yet (i have 'swept' a couple of them off the screen and into nowheresville with my stylus

should i install the fix, anyway, in case?

thanks,

s.

#8283 - 04/22/05 10:32 AM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have been playing Village Sim since the day I got it--about 9 days now. Last night, for the first time, I had some missing villagers, as I have seen mentioned in the forums. At the time, I had 65 villagers, all research done, lots of full-time doctors. One of my oldsters had died; no problem--she was 82. Then another one died who was 79--and 5 more villagers, all under 60 died at the same time. (I keep an eye on the old ones; they've been around longer and I become quite fond of them.) No message about a plague or anything. Then when I was helping them make some babies--I had just put a man on a woman---poof! she vanished right before my eyes! Another one vanished at the same time but I didn't see who (I think it may have been another villager "Going Indoors"), and suddenly I was down 8 villagers, with 2 graves missing. I've never had a problem with any going missing before now. I generally have the max allowable number of villagers, so they're pretty easy to keep track of. Oh, I also had 33000+ food at the time, so I know they didn't starve. And I've had Spirituality 2 since before my first villagers died, so my number of deaths and graves always matched before.

I tried to post this is a support email, but I kept getting an "Inavalid email address" message whenever I hit the "Send" button.

#8284 - 04/22/05 10:49 AM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Forgot to mention my Palm type--it's a Palm Tungsten E.

#8285 - 04/22/05 10:52 AM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Unicorn

The special fix release will not help with disappearing villagers. It's only a stability fix for people who were crashing when they tried to start a new game.

#8286 - 04/22/05 10:57 AM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Unicorn

Thanks very much for the details! The vanishing villager bug seems to be somehow related to deaths/burials. It would be very interesting to know if anyone has ever had a villager disappear in this way during the early part of the game, before any villagers die.

#8287 - 04/22/05 11:01 AM Re: Vanishing Villagers
treefern Offline
Guru

I have had disappearances during a healing, but not sure how far into the game that was.....I must keep track of my villagers better

#8288 - 04/22/05 03:18 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Burnsie Offline

I just bought the game yestarday and things seem to be going well. I just had a villager die and now I am scared to even try to bury her remains. Any ideas on when a fix will be out?

#8289 - 04/22/05 03:21 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
tigger4will Offline
Master

Loc: Texas
Honestly, I've played twice now and I only had someone dissapear once during the game. I wouldn't worry too much. Currently, there is a fix for "crashing" when starting a new game, but they are still working on an update for VS to fix the bugs!

#8290 - 04/22/05 03:42 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
TheVillageIdiot Offline
Sage

Burnsie, don't worry about burying the remains. If you have the right level of spiritualty just drag a villager around to find the grave yard, they will do the rest. I belive that there have not been any problems so long as you exit the game after the have buried the dead and then restart the program.

#8291 - 04/22/05 04:07 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Unicorn

It seems that the best way to avoid disappearing villagers at this point is to refrain from dragging any villagers while (or immediately after?) corpses are being buried. Leaving the game and launching it again would probably add another measure of safety. If anyone can verify or disprove this theory, please post it here!

#8292 - 04/22/05 06:32 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
JustAGirl Offline
Master

I had another villager disappear today.

I came back to my game to find more villagers had died (poor old people!). Some of my villagers were sick so I found my best healer. She was in the middle of a "bury the dead" action. I scooped her up from burying and moved her to heal. She healed a villager and when she was done *poof!* she disappeared.

Bummer.

#8293 - 04/22/05 06:37 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Unicorn

Doctors seem to be fond of disappearing. I think that's because they are always being dragged to another villager, which seems to be the way vanishing is caused (but only in the aftermath of burials).

#8294 - 04/22/05 06:44 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
JustAGirl Offline
Master

My poor doctors!! I guess I'll have to be more careful about when I have them heal. But my poor sick villagers are just BEGGING for the doctor!! Oh well...I'm just happy to still have my old game that I somehow deleted

#8295 - 04/22/05 07:28 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Anonymous
Unregistered

If the vanishing villagers are a doctor problem, here's something weird I've noticed about the doctors--this is after you have a lot of villagers. When you first start the game, you'll usually find everyone off doing their own thing--except for some of the doctors. A few always seem to be frozen in place. If I move them a little, they come back to life, but otherwise they just seem to stay there, doing nothing and not moving at all.

I have a Palm Tungsten E.

#8296 - 04/22/05 07:52 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Schatzie Offline

Loc: California
Quote:

I have been playing Village Sim since the day I got it--about 9 days now. Last night, for the first time, I had some missing villagers, as I have seen mentioned in the forums. At the time, I had 65 villagers, all research done, lots of full-time doctors. One of my oldsters had died; no problem--she was 82. Then another one died who was 79--and 5 more villagers, all under 60 died at the same time. (I keep an eye on the old ones; they've been around longer and I become quite fond of them.) No message about a plague or anything. Then when I was helping them make some babies--I had just put a man on a woman---poof! she vanished right before my eyes! Another one vanished at the same time but I didn't see who (I think it may have been another villager "Going Indoors"), and suddenly I was down 8 villagers, with 2 graves missing. I've never had a problem with any going missing before now. I generally have the max allowable number of villagers, so they're pretty easy to keep track of. Oh, I also had 33000+ food at the time, so I know they didn't starve. And I've had Spirituality 2 since before my first villagers died, so my number of deaths and graves always matched before.

I had a very similar thing happen. I had 64 villagers, as one of the old ones died, and there were a bunch of villagers participating in burying the dead. At the same time I was breeding two villagers who were NOT participating in the burial. The "going indoors" message was on the screen when they both vanished.

I checked the numbers of villagers, and it then showed 62 (down 2). I'm not sure if the number of graves and number of dead villagers is correct or not. I'd previously had 16, but I'm not sure if I missed a couple or if this vanishing act impacted the number of dead and graves. The number of graves on the screen DOES agree with the number of dead in the stats.

Other info:

All of my villagers are in excellent health with the green bars all the way across except for one elderly woman (67 years old) who still has green but there's a little space there. There's tons of food, lots of doctors, researchers, farmers, and 3 adept parents (women).

When this happened, I'd solved the first 9 puzzles, and I had Level 3 for all Village Tech except Medicine, which was still Level 2.

The stats right after this happened:

Realtime hours: 193
Villagers born: 85
Villagers buried: 20
Oldest villager: 71
Max village population: 65
Food harvested: 132,003
Crabs caught: 714
Total tech points earned: 536,546
Tech levels completed: 11
Island events encountered: 10
Puzzles solved: 9 of 12

I'm using a Tungsten E, and I've installed the game on the expansion card.

Speed when this happened: Fast

-----------------------

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

#8297 - 04/22/05 09:04 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Unicorn

Thanks for the information, Schatzie! Nice detail!

#8298 - 04/22/05 09:05 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Unicorn

Both doctors and builders have had this problem. It's on the known bug list. Thanks for the report!

#8299 - 04/23/05 08:56 AM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Leila Offline
Trainee

Loc: Reading, UK
The breeders are another lot who disappear as mentioned earlier by myself and someone else anonymous. It appears to be the placing of one person onto another that causes the disappearance.

I had real trouble getting this game going, I crashed about 5 times, deleted and redownloaded and crashed again but now seem fine so have no idea what that was all about.

Hope you sort out the disappearing people but great game anyway.

Leila
Zire 71 and Tungsten C

#8300 - 04/23/05 09:54 AM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Unicorn

I should have been more clear - I was replying to the person that said doctors were just standing around. We had that bug in testing (only with builders) - we called them 'zombies'!

#8301 - 04/23/05 10:48 AM Re: Vanishing Villagers
saphy Offline

Help!

When I went to bed last night I had 8 villagers, everything was great, they were breeding, farming, everyone had great health. When I woke up this morning and checked (yes it is addicting) I had one two year old. There was no explanation as to what had happened. Very frustrating since I don't know what went wrong.

Melissa
Tungston E

Edited by saphy (04/23/05 10:50 AM)

#8302 - 04/23/05 11:09 AM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Unicorn

Hi, Melissa. Could you tell me a little more about what your game was doing overnight? Did you leave the game running and the device on, or did you have it powered off overnight. Do you remember how many hours you had been playing, and what speed the game was set to? Were your villagers dead (and, perhaps, buried), or were they gone? This information will be very helpful to detemine a little more accurately what might have happened.

#8303 - 04/23/05 11:13 AM Re: Vanishing Villagers
saphy Offline

The device was turned off. I had played a little over 36 hours. The game was set to normal speed. I looked all over the island for something different, but I didn't see anything. No little skeletons, no graves, nothing.

Thanks
Melissa

Edited by saphy (04/23/05 11:14 AM)

#8304 - 04/23/05 11:18 AM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Unicorn

That's very odd. A few more questions: 1) when you turned your Palm off, was the game still running, or did you leave the game first? 2) how recently had you exited the game (which saves it)? 3) had your Palm been reset during this game (either by an error or by poking the little hole)?

#8305 - 04/23/05 12:48 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
saphy Offline

The game was still running when I turned it off. In the future, should I go to my Home Screen on the Palm? I had turned it on briefly to check my little people's progress and went to bed (I said it was addictive!). No, the Palm hadn't been reset during this game.

Thanks!

Melissa

#8306 - 04/23/05 01:06 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Unicorn

Village Sim, like Plant Tycoon and Fish Tycoon, is only saved when you exit (either to another app or the launcher), so I usually exit once in awhile just to make sure I don't lose the progress that my villagers have made.

Your villagers shouldn't have just disappeared overnight, though, and on normal speed the skeletons shouldn't have had time to decompose (if they had died). I'm afraid I can't explain what happened to your villagers, unless they just starved or died from sickness. The villagers are not as productive when the game is off, so that's possible.

#8307 - 04/23/05 01:21 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
saphy Offline

Thanks for your help. I'll exit to the home page in the future, but another thing I noticed is that there were berries on the bush, so I'm not sure they starved. I'll just start over!

#8308 - 04/23/05 01:24 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Unicorn

Depending on how many villagers you have, the berries are not sufficient to feed everyone. They need to have a food source that's more plentiful and reliable than the berry bush.

Please let us know if that ever happens again (I hope not)! That's not a good thing to wake up to.

#8309 - 04/23/05 04:24 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
DogLover Offline

Loc: Vermont, USA
Hello,
In case you are still in need of vanishing villager scenarios, I just had one . I had an adept researcher find the graveyard, then go and bury the only dead body there was. When he was done, and leaving the graveyard, I switched his preferred skill to "healing". I knew I would need another good healer since the best one I had was getting old. I then dragged him to the cactus where he promptly disappeared. My village population went down by one. Then when I checked my stats it said that 2 villagers had been buried. Sure enough, when I went back to the graveyard, there were two headstones.
I'm still early in the game, with only 93 hours played. My max # of villagrs is 12. I'm playing on a Tungsten E.

#8310 - 04/23/05 04:33 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Unicorn

Thank you.

#8311 - 04/24/05 01:02 AM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Keith_Hearn Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
I had a vanishing corpse this afternoon. Someone died of old age, and one of my villagers, a woman named Aba, picked up the corpse and was headed to bury it. I then went and looked at my stats and when I came back she was "waiting for someone". That someone turned out to be the fellow I had set for breeding, and the two of them proceeded to head indoors (I don't think a baby was produced). The corpse, meanwhile, was nowhere to be seen, and there was no new headstone in the cemetary (there were two before this happened, and still two afterwards).

This is on a Treo 650, and I was runnng at fast speed at the time.

Keith

#8312 - 04/24/05 01:05 AM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Unicorn

Thanks, Keith!

#8313 - 04/24/05 01:35 AM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,
I had a vanishing villager pretty early in the game. I was dragging her about to see what I could find. I was dragging her around the big rock, and she suddenly disappeared! My numbers went down by one (and I had less than 20 villagers at the time). It was like she never existed. I thought maybe she was just living behind the rock now

#8314 - 04/24/05 01:36 AM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry - in regards to my vanishing villager (behind/around the big rock) I forgot to add that I have a Zire 72

#8315 - 04/24/05 09:17 AM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Unicorn

You say it was pretty early in the game. Had any of your villagers died at any time before your villager vanished?

#8316 - 04/24/05 12:50 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think 1 had (of old age). I remember only just discovering what dying was, and I was pretty pissed off that I'd suddenly lost a young vibrant villager!
But as to whether a grave stone appeared or not I can't say. I seem to recall not, but can't be sure. However if it ever happens again I'll make sure and gather more info!
RP

#8317 - 04/24/05 01:26 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
YorkieMom Offline
Adviser

Loc: Missouri
I just had a villager to vanish too. When I went to bed last night, I had 10 villagers. I left the game running in high speed (that was STUPID!). When I got up this morning, it said I only had 6 villagers left. I found out 3 had died and were buried, but there is no sign of the missing 4th villager. So is it possible for the villagers to die & completely decompose, before they get buried?? Usually all I see is a pile of bones.

#8318 - 04/24/05 02:24 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Unicorn

It is possible that your missing villager decomposed, instead of being buried. On fast speed your village will require more frequent attention.

We haven't seen any reports of any villagers vanishing apart from being dragged to another villager or certain places on the map (with the possible exception of a certain special child).

#8319 - 04/24/05 05:30 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
YorkieMom Offline
Adviser

I bet I don't go to bed & leave the game on high speed anymore.

#8320 - 04/24/05 05:31 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Unicorn

I don't!

#8321 - 04/24/05 05:33 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
YorkieMom Offline
Adviser

ESPECIALLY, after I've been out drinking all night!

#8322 - 04/25/05 10:01 AM Re: Vanishing Villagers
TheVillageIdiot Offline
Sage

I had a villager “disappear” yesterday. It was a 15-year-old male. I paused the game before heading off to church at 8:45. After church while having lunch I turned it back to fast speed. The villager in question was between the crops and research table. I clicked on him and was dragging him to the beach to start clearing the debris. While doing so the program went to the menu screen. I don’t know if this was due to the bug or if while dragging I hit the menu button, but when I went back to the game, I tried to find him to complete the drag to the beach, but he was gone. He was nowhere to be found.

I using a Treo 600. I’m running from the internal memory. It shows I have 8.3M of 21M free. I’m also using the updated program.

#8323 - 04/25/05 10:03 AM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Unicorn

Thanks, Warren. This is the highest priority bug for Walt and Arthur right now.

#8324 - 04/27/05 11:55 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
ally Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario, Canada
This is exactly what just happened to me. Some of my villagers were burying the dead, but I was using one villager to heal another, and after the sick one was healed, the doctor vanished!!! And then, one of the males who were burying also vanished!!!

Glad to know I'm not the only one!

-Ally
using a Zire 71

#8325 - 04/28/05 01:01 AM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Lori Offline

Quote:

Some of my villagers were burying the dead, but I was using one villager to heal another, and after the sick one was healed, the doctor vanished!!!

The same thing just happened to me.

#8326 - 04/28/05 09:13 AM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Anonymous
Unregistered

Arthur is working hard to fix all of the little bugs in Village Sim. I think most of us have had a villager go "poof"!!

#8327 - 04/29/05 11:25 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Scarlet834 Offline

I am using a Sony Clie TH55. While the Clie was turned off (but the game not paused) my oldest villager died at apparently the age of 79 (per the stats; he was the oldest I ever had). No new headstone, no remains, no more listing in villager details for the character "Bem", and the screen says I have 43 villagers but I only have details for 42 (I counted). Bem was just gone.

#8328 - 04/29/05 11:36 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Unicorn

Poor Bem. At least he lived a fairly long life!

Depending on the speed of your game, it's possible to have a villager die and decompose while the device is off. If that happened, there wouldn't be a headstone (although you would think that he would have been buried by the other villagers). Strange.

Do you have any babies in your village? Babies are counted on the map screen, but don't have details screens yet.

#8329 - 05/01/05 01:47 AM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've got a slightly different situation, I've got a "partially "lost villager! I've had 20 births, and the stranger in the woods joined, so I've had a total of 27 villagers. Because of the timing of the deaths, the max I've ever had at once is 21, which is my current number. The last of my original 6 villagers, Thabo, died at the age of 72, and was being buried. The next oldest villager is 47. In the meantime, I had another couple breeding, which resulted in a birth (no respect for the dead!)

Now, my stats are like this:
Villagers born 20
Villagers buried 5
Oldest villager 72
Max population 21

Current population shows 21, with 5 headstones. Under details, I have 19 villagers (and 2 babies). Thabo does not have a headstone, nor is he in details, but it's *his* age still showing as the oldest villager! He has disappeared, as many others seem to have reported, but he left a little trace, in his age!

I'm using a Zire 71, running from expansion card, 5M free ram.

Valerie

#8330 - 05/01/05 04:04 AM Re: Vanishing Villagers
treefern Offline
Guru

I don't think this is a different problem to the vanishing villagers. My understanding is that the statistics on the oldest villager purely gives the largest age any of your villagers have reached. They may have died many years previously. Your Thabo, may have disappeared while being buried (I have lost a few corpses myself), explaining why there is no headstone, but as he was the eldest so far, hence, his age is still recorded in the stats

#8331 - 05/01/05 12:01 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Moppett Offline

I had a couple of villagers go "indoors" and only one (female) came out. I checked my stats and found that I'd lost a villager. What do you suppose he's doing in there?

#8332 - 05/05/05 06:38 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
melomak Offline

Me too. I finally noticed that I lost a villager, my only other "Adept Builder" when I was dragging her around the "breeding hut" to see if she would Fix the Hut, and she disappeared off screen. When I clicked through the "Details" I discovered that she was no longer there.
I tried to exit and re-enter the game, but no luck. She's gone.

#8333 - 05/10/05 03:53 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have had this problem. I have a Tungsten T5. I happened when I dropped a villager onto the big boulder blocking the cave entrance. He vanished and was no longer even listed in my list of villagers and their skills.

#8334 - 05/13/05 07:37 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Lead Designer

If anyone is experiencing the VANISHING VILLAGERS bug, please send me a PM if you would like to test a new experimental version of Village Sim. We have a new build that will hopefully correct this bug.

#8335 - 05/14/05 04:48 AM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Elefantina Offline

Loc: Switzerland
Hi Arthur,
I had a few disappearing villagers while takin away dead bodies and I had a problem with the golden child, I got the message that he's born but I could never see him ...

Miriam
------------------------------------
I'm using a Tungsten T3, running from expansion card.

#8336 - 05/25/05 02:04 AM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Gemelle Offline
Consigliere

I also just experience a vanishing villager. It was my Master Doctor. She was burying the first dead body and suddenly she vanished.

#8337 - 05/25/05 09:06 AM Re: Vanishing Villagers
tigger4will Offline
Master

Loc: Texas
They are fixing this problem right now.... They will get you a new version as soon as it's ready!

#8338 - 05/25/05 09:09 AM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Unicorn

That's unfortunate. Until the Village Sim update is released, the best way to prevent vanishing villagers is to avoid touching or dragging villagers during burials and to exit and restart the game once the burials have been completed. That's especially important advice for villagers that are vital members of your little tribe!

#8339 - 05/25/05 07:36 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Gemelle Offline
Consigliere

Ok crosses fingers for the Village Sim update!

#8340 - 05/25/05 07:37 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Gemelle Offline
Consigliere

Quote:

They are fixing this problem right now.... They will get you a new version as soon as it's ready!

Will the update bring back the vanished people? Or will it simply prevent more from vanishing??

#8341 - 05/25/05 07:49 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Unicorn

The update will be a new version of the game. The way villagers are handled in memory has been rewritten so that when you're playing the new version you won't have problems with vanishing villagers.

There isn't anything that can bring back your vanished villagers short of loading a saved game from before they vanished.

#8342 - 05/27/05 05:26 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have had villagers disappear as well and I also noticed that on a new game that I started, there were 2 remains and somehow, one disappeared and the other was buried.

#8343 - 06/22/05 10:15 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am sad! I hadn't read about the burial bug yet when I dragged my one and only Master Builder onto a sick villager to heal him. She finished the job, and boom!! Kiki had done a dissapearing act! I think I could cry. Code:

#8344 - 07/05/05 02:30 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Debbi Offline

Loc: Georgia
I had an elderly villager disappear. His health was failing and I expected him to die soon. I had turned off the unit and came back after 15minutes and couldn't find him. I checked the graveyard, not there. I checked the grounds near the fountain, no bones. I checked the detail screen not there, I checked the stat screen, no record of his death.
I am playing on a Tungsten C, 27 villagers at the time, 241 hours played.
I don't think I have to go back and restore game.

-dlf716

#8345 - 07/05/05 02:52 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Unicorn

That might be something different than the vanishing villager bug. Was this the first death in your village?

#8346 - 07/05/05 11:32 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Debbi Offline

Loc: Georgia
No he would have been the 6th death

-dlf716

#8347 - 07/05/05 11:42 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Unicorn

Then I suppose it's possible that you had a case of a vanishing villager. It's usually seen when touching or moving a villager during or shortly after burials. I agree with you that it's probably not worth restoring a saved game in an attempt to "undo" the vanishing event.

#8348 - 07/09/05 03:10 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Jess Offline

it happens to me alot when i drop one onto another in a remote part of the village to breed... i'm running a zire 72

#8349 - 08/05/05 03:35 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
lelisa13p Offline

Loc: GA , USA
Last evening I took a 14 year old female villager to the cactus so that she could learn Healing. To begin, she was standing on the right side of the cactus & moved around to the left side, where (while trying to learn) she DISAPPEARED before my eyes! I immediately went to the Roster & all trace of her was gone. It's as if she never existed; this was her first attempt at learning anything, if that matters. Thank goodness it hasn't happened to anyone who has any established (important) skills!

(Playing on a Tungsten E.)

#8350 - 08/05/05 03:43 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Unicorn

Unfortunately, there's going to be a risk of that until the v1.1 update is released. The best way to minimize the risk is to exit the game fairly regularly so that it's saved often, which also "tidies up" the villagers in memory so that there's not as much risk of vanishings.

#8351 - 08/05/05 05:43 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Gail Offline
Trainee

I was just finishing up the game when I dragged a middle-aged woman into the ocean to learn how to fish. She disappeared! Another fisherman went into the water and the message read that somone was being buried. Sure enough, she was missing from my "Details" list. I know that she was not sick...just clueless about fishing...perhaps clueless about swimming too? She really stood out with her yellow hair and bright red bow.

#8352 - 08/05/05 05:51 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Unicorn

Why isn't it ever the ugly, lazy villagers that vanish!?!

#8353 - 08/05/05 06:51 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Gail Offline
Trainee

You're so right! The Special Ed. villagers seem to be the survivors. Perhaps ignorance is bliss.

#8354 - 08/10/05 11:46 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
jollyreaper Offline

Here's a "cheat" that will probably work. As Ladycfii suggests, exit and reload fairly regularly. Now if something bad happens when you're in the game, hit the soft reset button on the back of your handheld. This will cause you to lose everything that's happened since your last save but also loses the lost villagers. I admit to using this when the random events are particularly bad. It's taken me three tries to get a village that didn't fail and I'm not going to allow some stupid random event to totally ruin it! Gah!

#8355 - 08/16/05 10:48 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Gail Offline
Trainee

I believe that I already reported that I dragged one of the "Village People" to the water to teach her how to fish;she was perfectly healthy and about 30 years old. I plopped her into the water...she never reappeared and another villager went into the water, got the body out and took her to be buried. She was off my list also.

I've been working on Fish Tycoon, then decided to start Village Sim again. I took my best builder (thank you very much) and was dragging her over the research table. It appeared as though she had gone underneath the table....nope and gone from my Details List, too.

At the very beginning, my Palm rebooted and I lost 2 days of work. Barbara told me to exit the game so it goes into save mode. I do that now after anything happens that is important.

I have a Treo 600. Do also please let us know as soon as the upgrade is available. You all are truly adept!!
Gail

#8356 - 08/16/05 10:57 PM Re: Vanishing Villagers
Unicorn

Vanishing villagers and other nasties will be a thing of the past when the update is released. Arthur will make an announcement when it's available.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  MissKathy, Rockmower 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter