This story is just a little one that I wrote about a trial version of VV1... In the trial, I could only complete the first three puzzles, so it probably won't be a spoiler for most players. \:\)

Enjoy!
P.S I would like to make note that Teata is pronounced "Tee-ah-tah"

The Island Tribe of Marsola

Journal Entry 1
I am Sanje. I live in the island tribe of Marsola. I hope to be leader one day.
I toss and turn in the night when I think of what happened. Our island home was destroyed, along with many of our fellow villagers.
My mother put me and my sister, Teata, on our boat and pushed us into the water. "Maate!" (mother) I yelled. I couldn't understand why she and my father weren't coming. I used the large oar in the boat to steer as best as I could. It was bigger than I! I watched in horror as a boat containing a small child and a man, apparently her eldest brother, smashed against a rock. They floated on pieces from the boat, and I steered in their direction. Even though it added water to the floor of the boat, Teata and I helped them in. Happily I turned the oar over to the stronger Giza. Teata and I helped Ashby (the little girl) dry off. We were sitting in the boat, Ashby in the middle, when a piece of rope landed on my lap. A nearby canoe had tossed it.
The canoe contained my best friend, Kissa, and schoolmates Pawin and Paco. We tied our boats together with the rope, and floated along. After the sun sank under the west horizon, a storm picked up. We were rocked and tossed all night. In the morning we were thrown onto a beach. We walked over the crest and found a lovely scene. There were some small huts and a table. Remembering the storm has made me tired, so I will retire.

Journal Entry 2
Today Giza uncovered the well, and we now have fresh water to drink.
Kissa and I have begun researching our island, and Giza and Pawin are clearing the beach of the bits of boat. Teäta and Paco are foraging for food.
A crate has been found with a baby in it!

Journal Entry 3
They have cleared the beach!! We can swim again, but I'm not sure I will be able the persuade Ashby. She is still very afraid of the water. We are celebrating. Now our builders are building a hut. Wait, they have finished it! Now that we have more shelter, we have decided to have marriages so that we can grow the population, if you know what I mean.

Journal Entry 5
Kissa and Giza are to be married, and so are Paco and I! The ceremonies are this evening, and I am very excited.

Journal Entry 6
I have been gone too long from writing. I left this journal behind while Paco and I were on our honeymoon. To our greatest joy, Kissa and I are with child! I am due to have my child soon, so I must prepare. I must lay aside this journal until the child is born.

Journal Entry 7
I rejoice that I have given birth to my first child. OH! While having a child of my own to care for is the greatest joy I have experienced, the birth was not a fun thing. We rigged a rope to the ceiling of the hut in which I gave birth, in a loop. I pulled on it to ease my pain. I tried to stifle my yells so as not to frighten little Ashby. Teata had taken her to the water for swimming lessons.
It being yet an infant, I must spend all my time with my child. I am not sure of what I will name my baby. My dear husband, Paco was walking in the jungle and observed monkeys eating mushrooms. He found one, and tasted it. Soon he was ill. He made it back to the village, but is overcome with nausea and stomach cramps. I am sorry that I cannot find a way to heal him, but I can't leave my child. We have strictly warned Ashby not to eat anything found in the forest.

Journal Entry 8
Kissa has a beautiful baby boy named Brock, and my child is also a boy, named Ha-wii. My dear sister, Teata has founded a school for the children to go to! Now she and Pawin are to be married! She yearns to become a mother.

Journal Entry 9
My sister is so happy. She is now with child. Her face is radiant. I am able to help her, now that I have given birth myself. I fear for the coming weeks. I have this feeling that something terrible is going to happen. I feel that we have been taken care of up till now, yet the one caring for us may be leaving us.

Journal Entry 10
All of the women of our tribe, including me, now have small children. This shall help us survive. I will now lay aside this journal for future generations to read and add to. My sister had a baby boy as well, she named him Naoko. Ashby has grown into a lovely young woman, and has a child as well. What rejoicing fills the village! I must go tend to my child, and so, this journal will be stored away to be found by generations to come.

===================================================
Here is a little more of the story~~

Journal Entry 17
It seems that this journal has been found to be a surprise to more than one person. I am Kai, and I am the third generation of female leaders in this, the island tribe of Moresinda. I am a farmer as well as the leader. According to the journal, my grandparents came from another island. Marsola.

Journal Entry 18
I am so happy! I am with child for the first time. I secretly hope to have a girl...

Journal Entry 19
Aponi found a bottle of dark liquid. She opened it, and the smell was so familiar that she felt that she just had to drink it. She gulped it down and remembered the porridge that she used to eat. The recipe was lost, but now she remembers it!

Journal Entry 20
Kari has turned the hut near the research table into a school. The rest of us had to learn from our parents or from experience. What a privilege the children (including mine) will have!

Journal Entry 21
Now Kari and Maiya have children. We sit in the center of the village with our babies and talk. Although Aponi is not old enough to have a child, she sits with us and holds the babies sometimes, to give us mothers a break.

Journal Entry 22
Even though Aponi is only 15, she has been researching like you wouldn't believe! She moves with so much energy, she would remind one of an exuberant rubber ball! Kari found a crate that had washed up, and it was full of coconuts! We shall surely feast now!

Journal Entry 23
Kiro found a crate, and in it was a little girl! Only a baby, but there were also a great many diapers! We named the baby girl Nakai. I am greatly honored to have my name within that... I have had my child. A little girl I named Sanje in honor of the woman that started this journal in the first place. I cannot help but wonder if the baby from the crate was set afloat from one of the other tribes. Perhaps the one that was left, or some from another island that survived that earliest storm.
Maiya has had a daughter, whom we call Mara. And Kari's son we have named Kupi. Aponi has turned 16.

Journal Entry 24
Kari found another crate, and since we've been having such success, we opened it. This time, many great rats jumped out, biting and causing sickness. I know it seems soon, but we are expecting three more children!!! Maybe this time I will have a boy child. Another crate full of coconuts was found! The food bin is overflowing! We will not want for quite a while!

Journal Entry 26
I have had a baby boy! I have named him Tommi. Maiya's son we have called Tau. And finally, Kari has also had a son named Akan . We are rejoicing. Happily, Aponi has turned 18, and is of the greatest help. One day she hopes to be a mother. Sanje found a bottle of dark liquid. She foolishly drank it. Thankfully, she suffered no ill effects. She came running back to the village and requested a bowl of sweet porridge. I asked her why this sudden craving. She replied, "Why mother, I found a little bottle of dark liquid and I drank it. It tasted just like our porridge, and I wanted more." I warned her against ever doing that again; she should have come to me and asked me first. Then I checked to make sure she was alright, and hugged her so fiercely that she said "Mother, not so tight!"

Journal Entry 27
It seems that this tribe has become awfully foolish about what they ingest. Now Kiro has gone and eaten a strange mushroom. He is very sick.
Aponi and I are to have children! I am tiring of having children, although I am only 26 years old. I think I shall take a vow of purity after this.

Journal Entry 28
Apparently Mara overheard my conversation with Sanje about the liquid she drank, but missed the part about not doing that… She found a bottle and drank it. She is sick.
I declare, there are so many children running around that when I see another adult, they look like a giant!

Journal Entry 29
Kiro found a bottle as well. Thankfully, he came to us. I checked it, and found that it was the same stuff that had led to the remembering of the recipe for sweet porridge, so I parceled it out amongst the children to have a taste.

Journal Entry 30
Alright, I know I'm stupid. I drank a vial too. I don't seem to be having any luck at keeping others from it. "If you can’t beat 'em, join 'em." I guess. I'm feeling a little funny. Maybe I'd better lie down...

Journal Entry 31
I have had my child! A beautiful girl named Chapa. She looks more like Aponi than me! Aponi's child is a baby boy named Tofu. I now promise that this is my last child. After all, I am 40 years old!

Journal Entry 32
Another crate washed up! There were TWO babies this time! We have named the two boys Amaci and Mikio. The most terrible thing happened. Tofu tasted a bottle. He came back, and apologized for disobeying. Then a mere hour later, he began running about the village. He ran into the forest, and we haven't seen him since. Aponi is beside herself with grief.

Journal Entry 33
I feel that it is getting too crowded. As the Leader, I have decided to follow the example of our ancestors. Some of the children are going to canoe for a new land, and unfortunately I shall not be joining them. However, I will entrust this journal and a new one to the eldest in the canoe. I have copied all of the previous pages, and then I can send the real journal with the group that is leaving. Hopefully it will not be in the dark for as long as last time.
===================================================
And here is the last of it~~

Journal Entry 11
How surprised I was to find this journal in the school hut. I was doing some research for my final test, and found a strange package, wrapped in brown paper and tied with a strand taken from a rope, behind all the other books. I opened it to find this journal, a record of our tribe's history. I cannot help but think of how long ago the previous entries were written. I have read them carefully, as I will be the leader one day. Or so I'm told.
I asked my mother, Ashby, about the woman that began this journal. She says the Sanje was a great leader, and that she was cared for by her. I now realize that I have not recorded my name. I am Hokua, and I am sixteen years old. Tears came to my eyes as I read of the disaster. Oh, I have just heard that a crate was found! Since I have learned of the baby found in the crate, I wanted the crate opened. I told the others this. Many others did also, so it was opened. There was no baby this time, only tools.

Journal Entry 12
I should have listened to the writings about the mushrooms! Ooooooooh, I am sick. I can't write right now. Ahhh!

Journal Entry 13
Now that I have recovered, I have started researching, like my mother has done. I am 17. I must go...

Journal Entry 14
I have a new baby sister! Her name is Kay. Dada had a boy, Vanui, and Unagi had a boy also, named Olu. Vava had a little girl named Aponi. There is one last addition. Another boy, named Lanu!
Another crate washed up on the beach! This one was full of coconuts, which are very good to eat.

Journal Entry 15
We are running low on food. If we run out, we do not know what will be done.

Journal Entry 16
Many moons have passed since I last wrote. The children have grown quite a lot. We have run out of food. It has been decided that I shall get aboard a canoe and take the youngest ones with me. We will try to find a place to start a new tribe where there is lots of food. I have copied down all of the entries in this journal for the rest of the tribe that will stay behind. I am taking this journal with me of course. Goodbye for now, dear journal.

To comment on this story, click here.

Edited by LadyCFII (09/03/08 02:11 AM)