Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 165 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Questions about the music
by lorsieab2
04/18/24 06:09 PM
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
gbbxox, Blaznbeauty, Police12, ahebidafu, SwedishKaito
30711 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30711 Members
76 Forums
19382 Topics
186933 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#71403 - 05/02/07 01:37 AM Tribe Selector Application
Borg Offline
Brilliant Programmer

Loc: Maryland, USA
I have written a small program that allows a person to select which tribe he or she would like VV2 to automatically start when the game begins.

I wrote this program to help these nice people ... here is an excerpt:

Originally Posted By: tibicar
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can it be sorted on VV3 that when you turn the game on it starts at the main menu.
As soon as we turn on the game we are confronted with pop ups asking us to make decisions for a village that belongs to a different member of the family!!!!!!
If I was the only person playing I wouldn't mind but as a family this has caused rows and tears!!!!! \:\(
"Why are my villagers all sick?" was my daughters question the other day after I made a choice that got all her people bitten. If she had made the choice then it would have been OK but as I did it I am in trouble.

As this application is brand new and only three kind souls have tested it so far, I ask if you find any problems or have any suggestions, that you please leave a reply in this thread and I will do my best to correct them.

Unfortunately, since box.net (where the program is being hosted) will change the link every time I upload a new version, to get the latest version of the program, look for a reply in this thread from me with the latest link. If you click a link and box.net says the link is dead, keep looking further on in this thread for the latest link.

Lastly, a few miscellaneous things \:\)
1. this program is user-written, not LDW-written. (Please don't blame them if it doesn't work, they had nothing to do with it.)
2. use this program at your own risk. although I have had 3 people test it thoroughly and it worked flawlessly, this program did not exist until the day before yesterday. \:\) there still may be a few bugs to be worked out. so, although i don't expect anyone to have any problems, use it at your own risk.
3. I am completely clueless about the Mac. This is a windows program. It was tested on "Virtual Windows" and didn't work. It works on Windows XP and Windows Vista. It likely will work on Windows 98 as well, but has not been tested there. (if anyone tries it and it works let me know!)
4. The version of the program that LDW.com, BigFishGames.com, and likely most other vendors sell is the version that this program is compatible with - the save game folder is in My Documents > LDW > Virtual Villagers - The Lost Children. If you try the program and it does not work and you find your save game folder is not in that location, do not despair. Tell me where your save game folder is, and I will update the program just for you. (One thing you can do is use the windows search for files and folders, it is an option on your green start button in the lower left corner of windows xp, and tell it to find all files named *.ldw .. this will find all VV1 and VV2 save files.)

Feedback would be appreciated, good or bad, so if you find something that doesn't work or have a suggestion for an improvement, please leave a reply in this thread!

-Borg \:\)

#71404 - 05/02/07 01:49 AM Re: Tribe Selector Application [Re: Borg]
Wonka2 Offline
Expert

Loc: Waltham, Mass. USA
HIRE HIM!
\:\)

#71405 - 05/02/07 01:52 AM Re: Tribe Selector Application [Re: Borg]
Jazzo Offline
Master Magician

Loc: jazzothegreat.com
Being a Mac user, I cannot try this program, but I am greatful that you took the time and effort to make this program and I'm sure others are also. Thanx Borg

#71440 - 05/02/07 01:56 PM Re: Tribe Selector Application [Re: Borg]
bajantara Offline
Senior Uber-Member

Loc: Barbados
Originally Posted By: Borg
Unfortunately, since box.net (where the program is being hosted) will change the link every time I upload a new version, to get the latest version of the program, look for a reply in this thread from me with the latest link. If you click a link and box.net says the link is dead, keep looking further on in this thread for the latest link.

Wouldn't LDW host it for you in the mods section?

#71449 - 05/02/07 03:13 PM Re: Tribe Selector Application [Re: bajantara]
LadyCFII Administrator Offline
Unicorn

Loc: Colorado
Yes, we are going to host it, but this thread is a temporary one that allows Borg some flexibility while people are initially using it and providing feedback. Once he's satisfied, the Tribe Selector will take up residence in the Guides Section. \:\)

#71453 - 05/02/07 04:14 PM Re: Tribe Selector Application [Re: LadyCFII]
bajantara Offline
Senior Uber-Member

Loc: Barbados
A propos of nothing at all, I always thought Borg was female \:D

#71460 - 05/02/07 04:41 PM Re: Tribe Selector Application [Re: bajantara]
arnie Offline
Master of Meditation

Loc: London, UK
I thought the Borg was a collective. ;\)

#71466 - 05/02/07 04:55 PM Re: Tribe Selector Application [Re: bajantara]
LadyCFII Administrator Offline
Unicorn

Loc: Colorado
Hmmmm...I do tend to think of Borg as guys, although Seven-of-Nine wasn't. Hugh was, though, (and he's my favorite Borg from the series). Apologies for my assumptions, however, since I typically tend to use 'he' unless I am certain otherwise. Borg....help! \:D

Oh, I should add that I do really like the Tribe Selector, even though I'm the only one who ever uses my computers. It comes in very handy! \:\)

#71469 - 05/02/07 05:12 PM Re: Tribe Selector Application [Re: LadyCFII]
QuickStorm Offline
Legend

Loc: America's Birthplace
Waiting for Borg's response ................

#71476 - 05/02/07 05:37 PM Re: Tribe Selector Application [Re: QuickStorm]
Kasey323.ink Offline
Plant Tycoon Millionaire

It won't work on my Windows XP. I get an error message about something called Iframe works. Or at least Iframe. But that's all right - No one else uses this computer except me, and I don't mind witch tribe it opens in.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  MissKathy, Rockmower 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter