Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Questions about the music
by lorsieab2
04/18/24 06:09 PM
News about updates for our older games on iOS
by Keegan
04/08/24 03:47 PM
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
Blaznbeauty, Police12, ahebidafu, SwedishKaito, ewicos
30710 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30710 Members
76 Forums
19381 Topics
186931 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#6587 - 04/14/05 06:24 AM Re: Crashes - Volunteers Needed
JustAGirl Offline
Master

Loc: New York
Oh dear!

Even without a "pattern" you should try to watch it a few times and write down when it's crashing. If it's truly random like, no Event just occurred or it crashes after you up a tech level or something, try and see if it's only after a certain amount of time playing. Also, let Arthur know your Palm specs - like how much RAM you have open, the build of your OS, etc...it seems like they're really willing to work and fix these bugs but they don't have every Palm available to test on - so let them know so they can figure it out!!

#6588 - 04/14/05 06:33 AM Re: Crashes - Volunteers Needed
Buny251 Offline

There is no pattern and I have a tungsten E, and I have 8 left on my ram. Thanks....Buny

#6589 - 04/14/05 07:53 AM Re: Crashes - Volunteers Needed
melomak Offline

Hi. I've also experienced several crashes with software today. I have a Zire 71. I would be playing and then I'd power off. When I power on again later, a number of flashing messages on the screen would show up and wouldn't stop. I noticed that I have my Power to "off in 30 seconds" and the game did not like that. I've now set it to "off in 3 minutes" Also, since my people were dying, I had decided to start a new game. When my Zire powered off in the middle of my second game with 6 people, it somehow relapsed, by doing a soft reset, twice. When I open the game again, it opens into my old game where I had only 1 person left. So then I had to click on new game and start again. I'm now more careful to go to the main menu of the game and then exit out of the game before i power off. This seems to help.
Also, in regards to the first game with only 1 person left, a 19-yr old boy, i think there was something wrong. There was no food left, but his health did not get worse and he was only 5 when I had no food source available any longer. He was invincible. It was a nice glitch, but unfortunately, i did not have any other people to live on the island to work, etc. Also, I've had experience where the screen will freeze up during the game, and luckily my zire will power off and when i power on again, it works.

Edited by melomak (04/14/05 08:02 AM)

#6590 - 04/14/05 09:48 AM Re: Crashes - Volunteers Needed
LadyCFII Administrator Offline
Unicorn

Loc: Colorado
Since there are many, many different kinds of crashes, it would be very helpful to Arthur if you would take a moment to write down any information that you get when the device crashes. (For example, Fatal Alert: Window68K.c, Line:86, No shadow window found (Reset), or some other code or symptom), as well as what you were actually doing when the device crashed.

Even if there is no pattern, this information (along with any other details you can provide) will help tremendously. Arthur needs more than "my game crashed" to help track down the bugs, but he will work with you to help resolve them. He has spent an entire day (or more) working with me to resolve some tricky bugs, so I know he wants to get these fixed. He just needs your help.

#6591 - 04/14/05 09:54 AM Re: Crashes - Volunteers Needed
Unicorn

If you turn off your device (or it auto shuts off) with the game running and a villager selected, it will display many messages about that villager when you turn the device back on. That doesn't usually cause a problem. Several of us have had the game 'freeze' during play (as you described). Turning the Palm off and back on always resolves it (it's still a bug, but at least there's a way around it).

#6592 - 04/14/05 10:11 AM Re: Crashes - Volunteers Needed
Gatewood Offline

My Zodiac 2 crashed repeatedly at first, always when I'd try to start a new game and access the menu. I uninstalled and reinstalled, and have had no crashes since. However, it's the first game since reinstalling, and all my women are elderly with no pregnancies yet, and I can see the end of the world coming! Perhaps the crashes will start again when I try to start over. I'd be happy to test for you.

#6593 - 04/14/05 10:19 AM Re: Crashes - Volunteers Needed
Moppett Offline

I'm playing on a Tungsten T2 with over 9mb free memory. After the first crash (after starting a new game), the program reverted to the previous game (with dead villagers scattered all over the place). After that I found that if I'd pause the game periodically it would at least continue the current game when it crashed again. The biggest problem is that when I reboot and resume the game, I lose babies but GAIN lots of tech points. It may be my imagination, but I believe it's been crashing less with the tutorial turned on. The most consistent crash is when I try to open any other program. Hope this is fixed soon.

#6594 - 04/14/05 10:56 AM Re: Crashes - Volunteers Needed
Unicorn

What kind of crash are you having? A Fatal Exception? Something else? Can you provide any specifics?

The reason that your game 'reverted' to a previous state is that it is only saved when you exit the game (or switch apps). Say, for example, that you had been playing the game for awhile, took 3 female researchers and turned them into moms, and played for another hour or so when the game crashed and required a soft reset. When you launch the game again, it will load your last saved game state - before you made the babies (since you had been running the game all day). Instead of having 3 babies, the game will 'think' that your researchers had been researching all day (since the baby-making activity hadn't been saved). The same goes for any puzzles you might solve, etc. That stuff is only saved when you exit the game. It's not the pause that saves the game - the game is saved when you change apps or go back to the launcher.

#6595 - 04/14/05 11:30 AM Re: Crashes - Volunteers Needed
Crumpet Offline

I had a crash yesterday on my Palm Zire 72 - it was when I accidentally selected "Beam" from the main menu (I think). There was a fatal exception, and the Palm had to reset.

When it loaded back up again, 2 of my children had different names, the vilagers re found the lagoon, and I was back to Level 1 science, but had the points to buy Level 2 again. My food level also dropped drastically.

Today, while it hasn't crashed, I have had some weird pixellating with some of the characters. They will moved in blocks and leave a blurred trail.

#6596 - 04/14/05 11:30 AM Re: Crashes - Volunteers Needed
Dnac Offline

I started a new game and it crashed, and reverted back to the game I had previously been playing, so i tried a few more time and the same thing happened. I did a hotsync and it seems to have sorted the problem, well it hasn't crashed yet. I am using a Tungsten T

Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  MissKathy, Rockmower 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter