Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 154 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Questions about the music
by lorsieab2
04/18/24 06:09 PM
News about updates for our older games on iOS
by Keegan
04/08/24 03:47 PM
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
gbbxox, Blaznbeauty, Police12, ahebidafu, SwedishKaito
30711 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30711 Members
76 Forums
19382 Topics
186933 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#6480 - 04/13/05 04:45 PM Re: Village Sim is crashing my Zodiac! Please help!
Arthur Administrator Offline
Lead Designer

Loc: San Francisco
Can anyone tell me, also, when it locks up on starting a new game....does it lock up at the yes/no dialog? Or does it get as far as showing the first intro story screen?

#6481 - 04/13/05 04:49 PM Re: Village Sim is crashing my Zodiac! Please help!
TheVillageIdiot Offline
Sage

Loc: Island of Isola
I actually get into game time. I'm guessing, but I think it is when it tries to save the new game it causes a re-boot. Then when after the re-boot, I run the program again, and there was my old game. And the old game was further along then when I tried starting a new game. Then I would try starting a new game, and again after the message, had a little play time (less then 10 mins), boom it would re-boot.

#6482 - 04/13/05 04:54 PM Re: Village Sim is crashing my Zodiac! Please help!
Lead Designer

If anyone is crashing reliably, that is you can make it crash any time you want, or it always crashes when you try to do something or when you play, I would love to try some special builds on your device.

You could really help us improve stability for yourself as well as for others. PM me here and we'll set up some kind of instant messenging and try some builds.

#6483 - 04/13/05 05:01 PM Re: Village Sim is crashing my Zodiac! Please help!
TheVillageIdiot Offline
Sage

Loc: Island of Isola
I would not mind helping. Is there a way to backup the current game, so just incase it does actually successfully start a new game, I don’t lose where I’m at? If so, I would help you out.

P.M. if there is.

p.s. That would be a good feature, the ability to save two are three files.

#6484 - 04/13/05 06:49 PM Re: Village Sim is crashing my Zodiac! Please help!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Can anyone tell me, also, when it locks up on starting a new game....does it lock up at the yes/no dialog? Or does it get as far as showing the first intro story screen?

Arthur,

Here is how I reproduce the problem every time:

1. Removed old version of Village Sim
2. Performed soft reset.
3. Installed the 3 files (Village Sim, Music1, Music2 and Music 3).
4. Started VS and selected preferences.
5. Set "Difficulty" to low
6. Clicked "OK".
7. Click "New Game" from main menu.
8. Game appears to start (asked to turn on tutorial - this has no effect on the problem).
9. Clicked "Menu" in lower right corner.
10. Clicked "New Game"
11. Clicked "Yes" when it asks "Are you sure?"
12. I get this error message: "Fatal Exception. You need to restart the handheld by performing a soft reset. Please press the RESET button".
13. I clicked the "RESET" button. PDA restarts.
14. Started the game again.
15. Click on preferences.
16. Preferences are back to the default settings. I lost my change for the difficulty.

I hope this helps resolve the problem. In order for me to start a new game, I have to uninstall and reinstall the game.

Thanks
-S

#6485 - 04/13/05 06:55 PM Re: Village Sim is crashing my Zodiac! Please help!
Lead Designer

Ok I have another tester with a Clie who had this exactly problem.

Since you can reproduce this, are you interested in helping me test some special builds? I can usually solve this kind of reproducable error in less than 10 tries, and I think I know exactly where to look.

Send me a private message here.

#6486 - 04/13/05 06:59 PM Re: Village Sim is crashing my Zodiac! Please help!
StringFellow Offline

Just sent you a PM. Also, I am now registered.

Thanks,
-S

#6487 - 04/14/05 06:25 AM Re: Village Sim is crashing my Zodiac! Please help!
Buny251 Offline

I am playing on my Palm Tungsten E. I have had a crash with every game I have played except for the first time. There has not been a pattern to these crashes. Hope you find the cause as it is such a brilliant game. When I go back into the game after a crash all the people are dead. It is very sad. Thanks......Buny

#6488 - 04/14/05 10:01 AM Re: Village Sim is crashing my Zodiac! Please help!
LadyCFII Administrator Offline
Unicorn

Loc: Colorado
I'll post this again here, since people who are experiencing crashes are likely to see it:

Since there are many, many different kinds of crashes, it would be very helpful to Arthur if you would take a moment to write down any information that you get when the device crashes. (For example, Fatal Alert: Window68K.c, Line:86, No shadow window found (Reset), or some other code or symptom), as well as what you were actually doing when the device crashed.

Even if there is no pattern, this information (along with any other details you can provide) will help tremendously. Arthur needs more than "my game crashed" to help track down the bugs, but he will work with you to help resolve them. He has spent an entire day (or more) working with me to resolve some tricky bugs, so I know he wants to get these fixed. He just needs your help.

#6489 - 04/14/05 02:11 PM Re: Village Sim is crashing my Zodiac! Please help!
Lead Designer

That crash that Buny has is fixed and there is a fixed version available temporarily here: www.ldwsoftware.com/VillageSimFixed.zip

The crash has be recognized as follows: after install game runs fine, but any subsequent attempts to start a 'new game' result in a crash.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MissKathy, Rockmower 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter