Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 164 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Questions about the music
by lorsieab2
04/18/24 06:09 PM
News about updates for our older games on iOS
by Keegan
04/08/24 03:47 PM
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
Blaznbeauty, Police12, ahebidafu, SwedishKaito, ewicos
30710 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30710 Members
76 Forums
19381 Topics
186931 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Page 9 of 16 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
#63606 - 03/07/07 10:00 PM Re: Leaderboards are up! [Re: LadyCFII]
blue_koka Offline
Consigliere

I think that the leaderboard should only have the leaders that play the game how it was entended. No warping and nothing other than what is possible for a normal game played.
Why in the world play a game that you only cheat at.
Thier not cheating anyone else other than themselves. And there isn't anyone that thinks its cool especially when they find out that it's all been one big lie.
The creators of the game know what is possible and what isn't possible.
I also think that if you were one of the testers you shouldn't be allowed to be on the boards because it was too much of an advantage.
They had a pretty big head start.
I don't play to get on the boards. I'm happy just playing to play.
I'm not trying to beat anyone.

#63824 - 03/08/07 04:46 AM Re: Leaderboards are up! [Re: blue_koka]
eyeshigh Offline
Senior Uber-Member

Loc: Houston, TX
that is what most of us think too

unfortunately, it is hard to keep the cheaters off the board

#64000 - 03/08/07 09:31 PM Re: Leaderboards are up! [Re: blue_koka]
irishmaura Offline
Consigliere

Loc: Ireland
Originally Posted By: blue_koka
I also think that if you were one of the testers you shouldn't be allowed to be on the boards because it was too much of an advantage.
They had a pretty big head start.
I don't play to get on the boards. I'm happy just playing to play.
I'm not trying to beat anyone.

How very sad and mean spirited to want to disallow the testers. I'm certain that they are not way ahead of anyone, and probably just the opposite in many cases. The testing has been going on for quite some time and will continue just to make the game better for you and other players. A little appreciation would be nice, don't you think? And I think that unlike the time travellers and hexers, the testers will on the whole, play fairly. It is after all, just a game. But it would be nice if everyone playing would not just enjoy it for themselves, but for helping others along the way as well as being pleased for the players who have "fairly" made it onto the board.

I for one, would like to see seperate boards to focus on different things, with an overall leaderboard taken from that. I think it would be more interesting to see the different elements players can concentrate on. It would also mean more people would see their villages on "some" board, rather then the general (which is riddled with cheaters, unfortunately) leaderboard.

Best of Irish,
Maura

#64005 - 03/08/07 09:51 PM Re: Leaderboards are up! [Re: irishmaura]
Lythanda Offline
Adviser

Originally Posted By: irishmaura

How very sad and mean spirited to want to disallow the testers. I'm certain that they are not way ahead of anyone, and probably just the opposite in many cases. The testing has been going on for quite some time and will continue just to make the game better for you and other players. A little appreciation would be nice, don't you think? And I think that unlike the time travelers and hexers, the testers will on the whole, play fairly. It is after all, just a game. But it would be nice if everyone playing would not just enjoy it for themselves, but for helping others along the way as well as being pleased for the players who have "fairly" made it onto the board.

I for one, would like to see separate boards to focus on different things, with an overall leaderboard taken from that. I think it would be more interesting to see the different elements players can concentrate on. It would also mean more people would see their villages on "some" board, rather then the general (which is riddled with cheaters, unfortunately) leaderboard.

I don't wholly agree with either person. The testers DO have an advantage. They already know the puzzles and what to do to solve them. The rest of the people have to stumble around and figure it out, that's time the testers don't have to spend when the game is released.

While I appreciate the hard work the programmers and testers do before the game release, I don't think it's wholly fair for them to be on the leaderboards with those of us that had to start out blind.

I do agree about the cheaters though, they should be knocked off the board totally. I know there has to be a way to filter the results to do that.

Those that cheat only cheat themselves, they aren't fooling any of the rest of us.
Windows XP Home SP2
DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS 512.0 MB
Realtek AC97 Audio

#64024 - 03/08/07 11:05 PM Re: Leaderboards are up! [Re: Lythanda]
eyeshigh Offline
Senior Uber-Member

Loc: Houston, TX
how many people do you think played the game the whole way through without asking advice in the forums, without looking up puzzle solutions in guides?

the vast majority of people who made it to the leaderboard, with or without cheating, got help on some part of the game

when testers start, there is no guide, no help for how to solve puzzles

keeping testers permanently off the boards would be awful, but the first week, its not a big deal, in my opinion

if there were a way to keep the darn cheaters (time warping and hex editing) off the leader boards, it would be done

i am sure they will look for a way to improve the board, but it does take time

#64616 - 03/10/07 09:54 PM Re: Leaderboards are up! [Re: eyeshigh]
GeorgiaPeach Offline

Woohoo, I made the VV2 leaderboard (26). I have my 15 minutes of fame. ;\)

I only show 50 elders though and my stats on the board say 51. I read back on this thread somewhere that an island event can create 51, but I haven't had an event since last night when I hit the 50th elder (although I have had 5 more villagers eligible for Elder status). Did I miss something that should have been obvious?

#65030 - 03/12/07 08:56 PM Re: Leaderboards are up! [Re: GeorgiaPeach]
Gatsbi Offline
Expert

Does anyone know the latest way the leaders are calculated?

I know the first sort is by elders, but then what? (what makes one player with 51 elders higher than another with 51 elders?)

#65052 - 03/12/07 10:04 PM Re: Leaderboards are up! [Re: Gatsbi]
Trunks Offline
Expert

Loc: East Coast
I think it goes by the first one to get there.

#65145 - 03/13/07 01:00 AM Re: Leaderboards are up! [Re: Trunks]
Eileen Offline

I finally made the leaderboard! Right now I'm at #51 (DeeDee) \:\)

#65244 - 03/13/07 07:15 AM Re: Leaderboards are up! [Re: Carla]
poottersmama Offline
Expert

Loc: San Diego, CA USA
How can the leaders of VV2 have such numbers? How unfair is that?

Page 9 of 16 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 15 16 >

Moderator:  MissKathy, Rockmower 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter