Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 192 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Questions about the music
by lorsieab2
04/18/24 06:09 PM
News about updates for our older games on iOS
by Keegan
04/08/24 03:47 PM
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
Blaznbeauty, Police12, ahebidafu, SwedishKaito, ewicos
30710 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30710 Members
76 Forums
19381 Topics
186931 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#242042 - 03/29/18 01:54 PM Re: Whats the latest VV4 version? [Re: Xay]
Mbee Offline
Consigliere

Loc: Zuid-Holland
Originally Posted By: Xay
The most recent change, Mbee, was in 2014 to make the games compatible with Windows 10, like I mentioned in your support.

There should be a "Read Me" file that is in the bank of files (after you run setup) that Arthur writes to share what happened in that version, if he decided to share that information. smile

Yes I am aware of that offcourse Xay, so obviously ... in order to get to that information I have to reinstall the new version over my old one again, wich causes my current game to disappear again?

I was not aware of the fact that the changes made to the different versions in a game were obviously kept secret (?) at LDW. This is just handy info for customers being able to decide whether they want those changes in their game or not. Also this is what I'm used to at other game-developers and just a normal procedure as far as I'm concerned smile

#242043 - 03/29/18 06:21 PM Re: Whats the latest VV4 version? [Re: Mbee]
Xay Administrator Offline
Customer Support Director

Loc: Colorado, US
My apologies, Mbee, I chose my words poorly. I've corrected my post above.

I don't have current access to that ReadMe file, since I have a different type of computer, but I'll see what I can find for you. smile
LDW Help Center
Submit a Support Request

#242045 - 03/30/18 03:15 PM Re: Whats the latest VV4 version? [Re: Xay]
Mbee Offline
Consigliere

Originally Posted By: Xay
My apologies, Mbee, I chose my words poorly. I've corrected my post above.

I don't have current access to that ReadMe file, since I have a different type of computer, but I'll see what I can find for you. smile

I am still very curious Xay!
The only thing I can find is that there were made 'changes' to make the game playable on windows (8!) Right now I am playing the first version of the game (1.00.01, LDW) on Windows 10 on widescreen.

Why isn't there a solution to play the latest version on widescreen? It looks a lot better to me, as stated in my report to you. I really would like to know (a trick maybe?) how to play the newest version on widescreen, so without the black partions on the left and the right of the screen. Also because I think the villagers look much to tall in the new versions of the VV games.

Anyway, don't want to be a whiner about this subject, but once I can solve this issue in this VV game I can solve it on the other VV games as well.

#242069 - 04/10/18 07:00 PM Re: Whats the latest VV4 version? [Re: Mbee]
Xay Administrator Offline
Customer Support Director

Loc: Colorado, US
Thanks for your patience, Mbee!

I've checked on that ReadMe file, and it doesn't contain any helpful information, however, I might have a better solution for you. It's possible that you might be able to adjust the graphic adapter's settings to resolve the "letterbox" (black bars on either side of the screen) effect.

Please understand first and foremost that these are very general instructions - I can't give you anything specific, because every computer setup is different.

You can try the Windows display settings first, by rIght-clicking on the desktop, clicking on Display Settings, then clicking on Advanced display settings to see what settings are available for your computer. If you don’t find helpful settings there, you should determine what management control software came with the computer’s graphics card or (perhaps) the display itself, if you're using an external monitor and see if it supports a stretch to fit option for 4:3 apps.

If you aren't comfortable checking these options, perhaps there is a friend or family member who could assist you with it.

I hope this helps.

#242070 - 04/11/18 11:16 AM Re: Whats the latest VV4 version? [Re: Xay]
Mbee Offline
Consigliere

Thank you for your answer Xay,

So you are saying to adjust the settings on my PC-screen everytime I want to play a VV game, and adjust it back to normal again once I stop playing? The resolution on my screen is 1920x1080 which is the recommended resolution.

Also in my graphic software (GeForce GTX 760 (192-bit)Nvidia) is not an option to set the screen for a game to 4:3. Normally those options should be made possible in the game itself, as far as I know .. The problem is that I can't find those options in none of the VV games.

Like I mentioned before: The first versions of all VV games are displayed perfectly on my screen, no 'letterbox', real fullscreen. So I would like to have those settings in the NEW versions as wel, but I can't find those settings in the files of the games.

So I am forced to play the oldest versions of the VV games just because those settings can't be adjusted like they should. That is why I would like to know what else had been modified in the updates of the games, in other words, what am I missing playing the oldest versions.

Hope you know what I mean smile

#242071 - 04/11/18 09:01 PM Re: Whats the latest VV4 version? [Re: Mbee]
LadyCFII Administrator Offline
Unicorn

Loc: Colorado
Hello, Mbee,

I can help explain the differences between our older game versions and the 2014 versions. We updated all of our Windows and Mac games in 2014, since many of them would no longer run on newer computers, due to changing hardware and software technologies. The updated versions ran on newer operating systems and hardware technologies. We made no changes to the actual game play in any of our games, so from a player's perspective, it makes no difference which version you run. We encourage players to run whichever version works best on their computer. That's why we continue to make the older versions available.

Also, Heather isn't suggesting that you should change your display resolution in order to run our games. The issue here can't be resolved by adjusting display resolution, since the underlying cause of the letter boxing (black bars on the sides) is a difference in aspect ratio between your display and the game. Some graphics cards feature a mode where they will automatically stretch an app with a 4:3 aspect ratio to fill a wide screen display. It looks like the 2014 version of the game is not working in that regard on your computer. Since the older version works the way you want it to, you can continue running that version. You're not missing anything by doing that.

Finally, our games are what the games industry calls "casual games" that differ from the expensive full-featured games that are typically referred to as core games. You typically won't find multiple resolution/aspect ratio support in casual games, since they are intended to be sold at a much lower cost and consume far fewer computer resources than core games.

#242072 - 04/11/18 10:15 PM Re: Whats the latest VV4 version? [Re: LadyCFII]
Mbee Offline
Consigliere

Thank you so much Barbara, for clearing this up for me.

I was not aware of the fact that my PC, with GeForce GTX 760 graphics card was not able to display a simple screen in the right aspect ratio. Or maybe I'm not looking at the specs the right way ... On my former PC and laptops I never had this problem though.

Since there are no changes in the actual gameplay I'll keep playing my older versions of the games!

Thank you both, for your support and replaay! smile

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MissKathy, Rockmower 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter