Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 171 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Questions about the music
by lorsieab2
04/18/24 06:09 PM
News about updates for our older games on iOS
by Keegan
04/08/24 03:47 PM
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
Blaznbeauty, Police12, ahebidafu, SwedishKaito, ewicos
30710 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30710 Members
76 Forums
19381 Topics
186931 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Topic Options
#237225 - 05/30/14 02:57 PM Mods
Cassandra3840 Offline

I'm not sure if I can post about Mods here. It's in the Forum. Does anyone know if you can create Mods for Big Fish game? If so, How? By the way this is for Virtual Families 2, Thanks smile .

Edited by Cassandra3840 (05/30/14 02:59 PM)

#237228 - 05/30/14 06:29 PM Re: Mods [Re: Cassandra3840]
MissKathy Administrator Offline
Lead Tester

Loc: California (USA)
Hello Cassandra3840! smile Yes, you can create mods for games but, as arnie mentioned in this thread, the ability to use mods requires that you have access to the Virtual Families 2 Images folder. Only then will you be able to swap out the game's original images with modified images (mods) that you or others have created. Have you determined whether or not you can access that folder?

If your playing the desktop paid version (not the Free to Play version) and your game is installed in C:\Program Files, you should see a Virtual Families 2 folder. Open that folder and, if you have access to the image files, you should see a folder labeled "Images." Open the images folder and look around. The game maps will be in that folder and the furniture is in a subfolder called "Furniture." LOL! If your game in not installed in C:\Program Files, you'll need to search your computer to find out where it is installed.

If you choose to make modifications of images in the "Furniture" folder, your little family will use the new items as if they were the original item, as you can only modify the images, not the underlying programming of the game. For example, if you changed the tv image so that it now looks like a bbq, when you drop a little person on it, they will initiate the "Watching tv" behavior and not the "Barbecuing" behavior. Also, if you look in the "Appliances" section of the store, you will see that the image for the tv has been replaced with your new bbq image, but the text is still referring to the original tv.

You mentioned, in this thread, wanting to move the bathroom. Let's say you altered the necessary maps to change the current office location to a master bathroom with a fancy shower and sauna. Although you have changed the map, your little people will still "think" the room is the office and will continue to use the computer where it was originally located, etc, even if the computer is no longer seen on the map. Also, there will be no running water for the new shower, etc, nor will your little people be performing "bathroom" related behaviors in there.

There is a wealth of information on the forums on creating and installing mods. Be sure to read LadyCFII's Installation Instructions for Graphic Mods before installing any mod. There's also a special forum dedicated to discussing VF2 mods, Virtual Families 2 Mod Comments and Discussion, if you're interested.

I hope you find this information helpful. Good luck! smile

#237230 - 05/30/14 09:49 PM Re: Mods [Re: MissKathy]
Cassandra3840 Offline

Thanks, MissKathy smile . By the way I like what you did in some of the mods smile . I just have a question. Why didn't they just add more stuff in game, then having us try to use the mods? Since, they add special items every couple hours for one location. They could have like put color furniture on another title. Holiday, stuff on another title. Along with paint, on another title. Would like to even change there hair, like a salon. I gave some ideas on another site on this forum, for Virtual Families 3, from both 1 & kindle game combined. I also notice, when I play my game have the same play set for outdoor & toys. Which don't make sense! Thanks, for the help smile

#237231 - 05/30/14 10:17 PM Re: Mods [Re: Cassandra3840]
Cassandra3840 Offline

MissKathy, I did what you told me. However there the same Images, I have in game. Am, I suppose to see new or different stuff?

#237232 - 05/31/14 12:27 AM Re: Mods [Re: Cassandra3840]
Lead Tester

Hi Cassandra3840. It sounds like you've found the image folder for your game. smile That is the place you can put any VF2 mods that you want to use. Do you have a mod that you or someone else created that you'd like to use in your game?

#237233 - 05/31/14 04:29 AM Re: Mods [Re: MissKathy]
Cassandra3840 Offline

I only got to Images MissKathy & not further, cause it looked like same stuff, I have now. Unless, it changes on me, when finishing the rest of the copy? How do, I add mods of my own or others? I'm still learning & getting there smile . Thanks smile

#237234 - 06/02/14 06:00 PM Re: Mods [Re: Cassandra3840]
Lead Tester

Hi Cassandra3840. Precisely. It is "the same stuff." laugh Those are the images that your game is using. The game only "looks" for images to display in it's "images" folder. If you want to see something different in your game then you need to put something different in the folder. smile There are instructions on how to install mods here. After you've made a full copy of your game's original image folder and stored it in a safe place on your computer, follow the instructions starting with: "Download the mod that you want to install and save it to a location of your choosing using one of the following methods."

Installing mods is really easy, once you get the hang of it. It's simply a matter of replacing 1 image with another (which is why you should always have a backup copy of the original images). For example, if you'd like to use Princess_Atta's Mint green Laundry room recolor:
  • Quit VF2
  • Download the zip file
  • Open it
  • Copy MapX0Y3.jpg, MapX1Y3.jpg, MapX0Y2.jpg, and MapX1Y2.jpg to the game's "images" folder (the file names must match the original ones exactly).
  • Relaunch the game
You should now have a mint green West Auxiliary Room (If you've already renovated the West Auxiliary Room that is. smile Otherwise you won't see it until you purchase the West Auxiliary Room renovation). Because different parts of the room are on different Map images, all 4 Map images are needed for a complete modded room.

Princess_Atta also has a Laundry Room Recolor README.rtf file in the folder you downloaded that gives instructions on how to install the mod.

To use a furniture/decor mod, follow the same procedure but place the mod in the Furniture subfolder. smile

For example, if you'd like to use jenmeep's modded items for the laundry room (you can use them in any room):
  • Quit VF2
  • Download the zip file
  • Open it
  • Copy TableRectangularWhiteStd.png and LaundryDryingRackStd.png to the game's "images/Furniture" folder
  • Relaunch the game
If you'd previously purchased those items, you should now see the new images in your game. They can also be seen in the Store. If you don't yet own the items, the modded ones will show in your game after they are purchased.

I hope this additional information is helpful to you. Remember to check out the links in both arnie's and my previous responses to you. Good luck! smile

Moderator:  MissKathy, Rockmower 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter