Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 259 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Questions about the music
by lorsieab2
04/18/24 06:09 PM
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
Ceci, gbbxox, Blaznbeauty, Police12, ahebidafu
30712 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30712 Members
76 Forums
19382 Topics
186933 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#236921 - 02/25/14 04:23 AM Re: Android Fish Tycoon [Re: Arthur]
Simsane Offline
Master

Loc: Washington State
Just the fact that you will try to figure out the problem is enough. As I said, I've already bought all the PC games you offer, and on my Nook, I have Virtual Family. I bought one of the Virtual Villagers games offered for Android and tried it out on my Nook. It played, but the players were really tiny and odd looking, so I didn't like playing it. I loved Fish Tycoon until I couldn't play it anymore.

I have never heard of your "free-to-play" games, unless you mean one of the "trial" versions of Fish Tycoon, Virtual Family, etc.

But really, I don't care about the $1.99 I spent and I'm not asking for anything to replace Fish Tycoon. I just want it fixed, is all.

I do understand you don't have a Nook, but from the reviews I've read, the problem doesn't just affect Nook players. A few others mentioned their devices and they were not all Nooks. Out of curiousity, which Android device do you guys play it on? I have been thinking about buying a new Android (IOS devices are just too expensive for me) and would love to be able to buy one where all your games actually work.

#236923 - 02/25/14 09:47 PM Re: Android Fish Tycoon [Re: Simsane]
LadyCFII Administrator Offline
Unicorn

Loc: Colorado
We will see whether our renewed testing will help us to determine what causes the crash. You said that the crashes started happening after you researched the last level of advertising, and that you had researched all the other areas before that. We'll see where that leads us. smile

I would like to say though, that we didn't just let it go. It might help at this point if I explain a bit about the process of bug-fixing. The most successful method of fixing bugs is based on reproducing them in our software development environment using debugging tools, where we can force the bug to happen and locate exactly what part of the code is causing the problem. In that situation, there's pretty much a 100% chance of fixing a bug. The difficulty with fixing a bug that fails only rarely or under a specific set of circumstances is that we can't use that method, since we can't reproduce the bug and force it to occur. The only thing left to do then is to use our eyes and brains to review pertinent parts of the code to see what we can find. It's not nearly as successful, especially for these elusive bugs. Video games have a lot of complex programming. eek

I am not convinced that these issues are related to the particular brand or model of Android device, but I suppose it's a possibility. The devices that Fish Tycoon was tested on (back in 2010 when the game being prepared for Android) were Android phones running Android 1.6 and 2.2. Today we use a combination of Android phones and tablets. We have a mix of Samsung, Google Nexus and Amazon devices, since those represent the primary app stores where we offer our games.

Like you, we have to use our resources wisely, and those are the devices we settled on after checking out what the majority of our customers are using to run our games.

#236930 - 02/26/14 07:09 PM Re: Android Fish Tycoon [Re: LadyCFII]
Simsane Offline
Master

Thanks for letting me know which devices you guys are using. I have been thinking about checking into Google Nexus. Originally, I asked for a Kindle, not a Nook, but my husband said he couldn't find one at the local stores so he bought the Nook instead. It's not a "bad" tablet but I would now like a bigger screen.

I don't play games on my phone, the screen is too small and I have old eyes, lol! Besides, I'm using my son's old I-phone 3 and since it's so old, I'm not sure any games would even play on it anymore. wink

#236934 - 02/27/14 09:24 PM Re: Android Fish Tycoon [Re: Simsane]
Simsane Offline
Master

Just an FYI...I reinstalled the game and started over. I'm going to see what happens if I never buy the third level of advertising. I intend to buy all three levels of food and environment along with the second level of advertising though.

It'll take some time before I will know if that makes any difference, of course, especially since the 'pairs' of fish I got from the first two batches of inexpensive eggs are not high value pairs.

I think I will play for quite some time after completing the third level of food and environment before I purchase the second level of advertising. I have no problem waiting a while for them to sell.

#236935 - 02/28/14 05:34 PM Re: Android Fish Tycoon [Re: Simsane]
Unicorn

Thanks, Simsane! Please let us know how it goes for you. We are going through our own testing, as well. smile

#236937 - 03/03/14 05:52 PM Re: Android Fish Tycoon [Re: LadyCFII]
Simsane Offline
Master

Update:

Well, I managed to get two greenfin spotanus and started building up money. I have both food and environment at level two now and have paid for level three in food. I'm still at level one in advertising, but am not having any problems selling.

I have also bought the second tank, the aerator and the temperature regulator. I can't remember if/which plants and decorations right now, so will edit this post after checking.

I have played mostly either in half speed or two-times speed. Haven't had any die (actually, I've never had any die - even playing on my PC), but have had a few sick ones that I had to cure.

Just before starting this post I moved all adults into the sales tank, moved all babies into tank two and bought three batches of the pink (least expensive) eggs and got them going in tank one. Will be back to report on plants/decorations.

Edit: I only have the plant of nutrition. No other plants or decorations yet.

#236938 - 03/03/14 05:57 PM Re: Android Fish Tycoon [Re: Simsane]
Unicorn

This is very helpful to us. We are testing various scenarios, as well, and your feedback could provide just the clues that we need. smile

#236940 - 03/05/14 08:19 PM Re: Android Fish Tycoon [Re: LadyCFII]
Simsane Offline
Master

I now have all four plants and the snail. In the selling tank, I also have the shell, the diver and the coral. I have all three levels of research in both food and environment, but still only have the first level in advertising.

I have sold anywhere from as little as four fish to as many as 21 fish without any problems so far. Oh, and I don't know if it matters but I now have (and have sold) the first three magic fish.

I had the first four magic fish when I started having problems last time, so I think I will wait on buying the second level of advertising until after I have (and have sold) the fourth magic fish.

#236941 - 03/06/14 12:27 AM Re: Android Fish Tycoon [Re: Simsane]
Unicorn

Thanks again for the detailed report!

I have completed one run through of the entire game, including all three levels of advertising, without encountering the crash. Like you, I've sold as few as 1 and as many as 21 fish. I have all the magic fish and have bred many of the exotic species, all without incident (I'm a very speedy player of Fish Tycoon, having tested it a zillion times since the original back in the early 2000s.) laugh

I've got another device coming this week, and I'll be running another test on it. I hope we find the bug.

#236942 - 03/06/14 12:33 AM Re: Android Fish Tycoon [Re: LadyCFII]
Simsane Offline
Master

I'd say you're fast, lol! Even with the list of what will make which magic fish and how to make the various fish and fins found in the Guide section, I can't make them that fast, lol!

Well, as I said, everything is still working fine so far. I will go see if the fish I need to combine to make the fourth magic fish are adults yet. Once I have at least three of them and can sell one, then I'll go ahead and buy the second level of advertising.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MissKathy 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter