Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 220 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Questions about the music
by lorsieab2
04/18/24 06:09 PM
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
Ceci, gbbxox, Blaznbeauty, Police12, ahebidafu
30712 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30712 Members
76 Forums
19382 Topics
186933 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#236897 - 02/21/14 04:31 AM Android Fish Tycoon
Simsane Offline
Master

Loc: Washington State
I have a Nook HD, 8G with a 32G MicroSD (SanDisk) card that has Android 4.2.1.

I have Fish Tycoon that I bought either at Google Play or Amazon Apps (will have to check) and it plays great for the most part. I have bought all 3 upgrades of Food, Environment and Advertising.

I did not have any crashing issues until after I completed the 3rd level of Advertising. But, the 3rd level of Advertising is the last one I bought. In other words, if I had completed the 3rd level of Advertising before completing the 3rd level of Food or Environment, then perhaps it would have started after completing those instead.

I have ran into the problem that others were posting about where it closes when Selling. Although, I can actually get into the Sell screen and even sell all my fish, but as soon as I try to get back to tanks 1 or 2, then it closes.

I decided to see if Clear Data would work, so I went into my Setting, Apps, Fish Tycoon. Clear Data is grayed out, but clear cache was not. It stated 24kb of cache. I hit clear cache and it went to 12kb.

I went back into my game and everything that I had done before I sold fish was undone. I had to choose which fish to sell, which fish to get pregnant, etc. Then I sold and this time it let me go back to either/both fish tank 1 and 2.

I went out of the game and back in again and moved a few from one tank to the next. Found 3 more I wanted to sell and moved them into the Sell tank. Went in and sold and it crashed again.

I cleared the cache (again, it stated 24kb and cleared to 12kb) then went back into my game. This time most were sold and some were pregnant and there were still 3 I wanted to sell. I moved those 3 to the Sale tank and sold them, then hit Menu and exited. Went and cleared cached from 24kb back to 12kb, went back in and had just what I wanted.

So, maybe what I reported will not help at all, maybe it will. I think the problem with the crashing is linked to the way/amount of cache.

Edited by Simsane (02/21/14 04:35 AM)

#236898 - 02/21/14 04:47 AM Re: Android Fish Tycoon [Re: Simsane]
Xay Administrator Offline
Customer Support Director

Loc: Colorado, US
Unfortunately, we have not been able to reproduce this on our test devices, and the issue may be caused by a low memory condition. Some customers have reported overcoming this problem by reducing the number of fish in their selling tank to less than 15. Also, many customers have been able to resolve this problem by freeing up memory on their device.

I did see that you cleared your cache, but have you freed up the memory on your device? (I'm enclosing some information below on this)

You can prevent many crashes by making sure that you close any apps that you aren't actually using before playing the game. With multi-tasking operating systems like Android OS, tapping the home function does not completely close an app and free the memory that it was using. Tapping Home places the app in the background, where it can still consume system resources. Whenever you want to make sure that sufficient memory is available for running apps, you should use the application management function in your device's Settings panel to close any apps you don't need running. This will make more memory available to run the game. If you're not sure how to close running apps, let me know.
LDW Help Center
Submit a Support Request

#236900 - 02/21/14 08:19 AM Re: Android Fish Tycoon [Re: Xay]
Simsane Offline
Master

These are the apps that are running:

Settings - 1 process and 0 services 47MB
Facebook - 1 process and 1 service 21MB
Maps - 1 process and 1 service 5.9MB
Maps - 1 process and 1 service 5.5MB
Lookout - 1 process and 3 services 19MB
Xfinity TV Go - 1 process and 1 service 5.9MB
CM Updater - 1 process and 1 service 2.4MB
DSP Manager - 1 process and 1 service 2.3MB
Google Services - 1 process and 2 services 12MB
Google Services - 2 processes and 5 services 16MB
Android Keyboard (AOSP) - 1 process and 1 service 22MB

RAM - 404MB Used 380 MB free

I don't know which ones can be turned off without causing problems, do you? Also, do you know how much "free" RAM is required? It says I have 380MB free.

When I click on Storage, I first notice that Fish Tycoon (and Virtual Family) are both in Internal Storage instead of my SD Card. When I click on Apps within Internal Storage, I see 1.4GB used, 632MB free. But that's storage space, not RAM, right? You are talking about freeing up RAM, aren't you? Or did you mean freeing up both?

Edited by Simsane (02/21/14 08:30 AM)

#236901 - 02/21/14 11:21 PM Re: Android Fish Tycoon [Re: Simsane]
Simsane Offline
Master

I uninstalled Xfinity TV Go as I never use it anyway, but the others listed above don't have the option to uninstall. They do have a Force Stop, but I'm afraid to do that. I did move every book to the cloud and uninstalled every single app I could uninstall except for four. I kept Fish Tycoon, Virtual Families, a color bubbles app that wasn't running in the background and my clock/weather widget.

#236904 - 02/22/14 09:00 AM Re: Android Fish Tycoon [Re: Simsane]
Simsane Offline
Master

I removed everything I could, stopped everything I could, even shut my tablet down...still happening. Now, even clearing the cache doesn't help. I ended up uninstalling it. I'll be another one of the people on Amazon apps and Google Play store warning people not to buy it.

Edited by Simsane (02/22/14 02:07 PM)

#236909 - 02/23/14 12:04 AM Re: Android Fish Tycoon [Re: Simsane]
LadyCFII Administrator Offline
Unicorn

Loc: Colorado
We are very sorry that you've had this much trouble with Fish Tycoon on your Nook tablet. As Heather mentioned earlier, we have never been able to reproduce, locate or fix this issue, which seems to affect only a small percentage of players. We are going to attempt to reproduce this again, using your description of how you encountered the bug. Maybe we will have some success this time.

We will be happy to refund your purchase price for the game. Please submit a Support Request on our help desk, and Heather or Jeni will take care of you.

Again, I'm sorry that your experience with Fish Tycoon was such a bad one.

#236912 - 02/23/14 04:57 AM Re: Android Fish Tycoon [Re: LadyCFII]
Simsane Offline
Master

Thank you, Barbara, for listening to me. I bought it from Google Play Store and left a bad review there. I will remove or modify my review since you've had the decency to respond to me with something other than a pat answer.

Actually, I don't want a refund. I really love the game, but I want to be able to play it. I had actually gotten the first four magical fish and was quite a ways into the game. I will keep it on the cloud and, hopefully, you guys will get it fixed. I'll watch for an 'update' then try again.

I didn't really give you much info though, are you sure it was enough to try to duplicate the problem?

P.S. You stated that only a small percentage of people have reported having this problem -- have you read the reviews at Google Play? Seems like a lot to me.

Edited by Simsane (02/23/14 04:59 AM)

#236913 - 02/23/14 05:26 AM Re: Android Fish Tycoon [Re: Simsane]
Xay Administrator Offline
Customer Support Director

Loc: Colorado, US
I'm very sorry that you felt that my reply was a pat answer, Simsane. I certainly didn't mean it that way. We have read the reviews on Google Play, but the percentages of complaints both in our supports and in the Google Play store are very small when compared to the overall downloads of the game.

We know that it's possible that many people don't complain to us or on the store, or simply delete the game when they encounter this problem, which is why, as Barbara said, we are still working to replicate the problem.

Again, I'd like to apologize if my original answer was not helpful to you.
LDW Help Center
Submit a Support Request

#236914 - 02/23/14 05:51 AM Re: Android Fish Tycoon [Re: Xay]
Simsane Offline
Master

Xay, I don't have anything against you personally, but I had read that same answer to another thread where someone else reported the same problem. So, it sounded like one of those answers where you're told, "If they complain about this, then tell them this, blah, blah, blah."

According to many of the reviews (I did go back and give it 3 stars instead of only 1 but left my report of the crashing when selling) this problem has been going on for quite a long time and yes, there are people that it works for, but there are many that are having the same problem as I am.

I have bought every single one of your PC games and have bought one of the Virtual Villagers games that work on Android and also Virtual Family for Android besides Fish Tycoon. I love your games (although, to be honest, I really don't like Virtual Families 2, but that's just me -- there isn't any problems with it) and have raved to everyone about them.

What I don't understand is why you guys would just let it go like that, knowing there are so many people having the same problems.

Is this company closing/dying... so you just don't really care? It kind of seems that way. No new PC games since VF2 and not really trying to fix the Android problems. I guess if I was the owner of a company that I was getting burned out on and thinking about shutting down, then I wouldn't care if people liked my games or not. But if this company still wants to be strong and sell games, then you would think they would care enough to try to fix problems, is all I'm saying.

#236915 - 02/24/14 06:52 PM Re: Android Fish Tycoon [Re: Simsane]
Arthur Administrator Offline
Lead Designer

Loc: San Francisco
Hi Simsane,

I'm Arthur the founder here at LDW. I just wanted to let you know that we do hear your complaints and we do care about the player experience. I love Fish Tycoon, too, even though it is one of our older titles.

The challenge is always balancing supporting the older games, against working on (and supporting) the newer games. Fish Tycoon was actually first launched in 2006, but what has really made it hard to get perfectly straight for everyone is that now we all like to play on our tablets and phones. That means that we have literally 100's of devices, each with their own quirks and problems, to keep straight. We are happy to field support requests and solves everyone's problems as fast as we can, of course!

Look, we will try to find the problem, but we don't own every single device and the Nook is one that we do not have (we are a tiny company!!). We will, nevertheless, continue trying to reproduce and fix it. Since it has frustrated you and we want all of our fans to be as happy as possible, can I offer you another free game, or some free currency in one of our "free-to-play" games, just as a gesture of appreciation?

Arthur

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MissKathy 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter