Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 182 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
Ceci, gbbxox, Blaznbeauty, Police12, ahebidafu
30712 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30712 Members
76 Forums
19382 Topics
186933 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Topic Options
#235517 - 07/01/13 07:19 PM "Time travel" question
Parvati Offline

Loc: Bangalore, India
Hi! I just got out an old iPod Touch that hasn't been used or plugged in for about a year. When it was charged, I turned it on and saw that it thinks the date is 1970 for some reason laugh Of course I want to change it back, but I wonder whether doing so might harm the virtual tribes and families on my iPod? They have all been paused the whole time, but I don't know the mecanics of the game so I still worry that something might happen... I don't want to accidentally "time travel" shocked
Advance thank you to anyone who can offer advice! smile

#235518 - 07/01/13 08:00 PM Re: "Time travel" question [Re: Parvati]
Xay Administrator Offline
Customer Support Director

Loc: Colorado, US
As you suspect, proper functioning of the game's internal timers is disrupted by changes in the device's system clock. In addition to being caused by adjusting the clock on your computer or mobile device, this can happen inadvertently, as well, such as when traveling across time zones or when Daylight Savings Time adjustments are made.

The best way to prevent these types of problems is to make sure that you completely close the game prior to travel or DST adjustments (keep the game paused), and leave it closed for the number of hours involved in the time adjustment. In your situation, you should keep the game paused, completely close it, then change the time back to what it is now.

NOTE: Depending on what the time was when the game was last played (if the time was still set at 1970 the last time the game was actively played) the tribe/families may die off. The only way around that is to make sure the time is never changed forward.

Refer to the following for assistance with making sure that the game is completely closed:

- For iOS devices, follow the instructions in this Apple knowledge base article: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5137

Our real-time games rely on the accuracy of the computer's system clock to operate properly. Unpredictable results can occur if adjustments are made to the clock, especially moving the clock backwards in time. Different games will respond differently under those circumstances, ranging from minor statistics anomalies to killing whatever is living in the game.

NOTE: For mobile games, especially those that offer In-App Purchases, we don't recommend deleting the game. Doing so will not only delete the app and all game progress, it will delete any In-App Purchases that might have made. Some of those are recoverable, but not always.
LDW Help Center
Submit a Support Request

#235519 - 07/01/13 08:04 PM Re: "Time travel" question [Re: Xay]
Parvati Offline

Loc: Bangalore, India
Okay, thanks. So can I understand from what you say that if the time was not 1970 when the game was last played, and I keep all games paused until after I change the time, there probably won't be an issue?
(I'm pretty sure the time was correct until the device was left to sit for a long time with no battery power, and that was when it got "confused".)

#235520 - 07/01/13 08:31 PM Re: "Time travel" question [Re: Parvati]
Xay Administrator Offline
Customer Support Director

Loc: Colorado, US
That should be correct, yes. The game can be picky, so you may want to try to backup the device before you change the time, just in case. Good luck!
LDW Help Center
Submit a Support Request

Moderator:  MissKathy 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter