Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 169 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
Ceci, gbbxox, Blaznbeauty, Police12, ahebidafu
30712 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30712 Members
76 Forums
19382 Topics
186933 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Topic Options
#235455 - 06/29/13 04:31 AM Save Game on Android
lanlynk Offline

First of all, this is my first post here, but I've enjoyed so many of the mods members have made for the first Virtual Families--and the fun posts and screenshots. Thank you!

I recently found VF2 at Big Fish and bought it immediately. I'm struggling with the mouse issue, but find if I move my mouse slowly, I can compensate. But the other thing I did was download the game for my 8" Android tablet. The game is actually running great on it so far. But I have a concern and a question about saves on my Android.

I've always backed up my VF saves on my PC; copied them over to another drive. But I can't find any saves on the Android. I'm worried that something might happen and I'd lose my peeps. How does the game save on the Android? Since I can play offline, I'm assuming there's a file somewhere on my tablet.

Also, on the PC, I see the game autosaving, but when does the game on Android save? On exit only?

I hope you understand why I'm asking these questions. I'm a little worried to get too far into my Android game without some kind of backup. I've read where some people have lost their games on mobile devices.

#235460 - 06/29/13 01:46 PM Re: Save Game on Android [Re: lanlynk]
LadyCFII Administrator Offline
Unicorn

Loc: Colorado
Hi, lanlynk, and welcome to the forums! It's great to see that you're enjoying VF2!

I completely understand why you are asking questions about the safety of your game progress on your tablet. Data can be lost on any electronic device when "bad things" happen (or even good things, like getting a new tablet), and it's important to be aware of how (and where) your data is stored, as well as how to get it back when needed.

The Android version of the game saves your progress with the same frequency that the Windows version does, but it doesn't display those reassuring messages that the game has been saved. The save files are stored on your tablet, but on Android devices, as with other mobile operating systems, they are stored in an area that is not accessible to users. Unfortunately, due to the built-in security protections in mobile device operating systems, the backup methods available for unaltered Android devices do not include app data. There are ways to back up app data, and you can do an Internet search for Android backup to learn more about this issue and what is possible.

We are exploring ways for the game to back up your game progress in more user-friendly ways, but it's too early to say exactly how and when we might implement that enhanced backup.

#235461 - 06/29/13 08:28 PM Re: Save Game on Android [Re: LadyCFII]
lanlynk Offline

Thank you so much for explaining all this to me. I was afraid the files were hidden somewhere in the system. It is good to know the game is being saved while I'm playing though. I look forward to the possibility of installing, or at least saving, to an external SD. I'll also search for backup methods, but if they involve rooting or hacking, I don't think I want to go that route.

I know many Android games run the same way as VF, and I risk losing data with updates and such with them too, but the VF peeps seem so real. Losing them would be a virtual "disaster." LOL

#235473 - 06/29/13 11:27 PM Re: Save Game on Android [Re: lanlynk]
LadyCFII Administrator Offline
Unicorn

Loc: Colorado
Nobody likes to lose their little families, and that's why we're looking at enhancing the way we back up the game files. laugh

And, yes, an Android device must be rooted to gain access to app data. shocked

#237509 - 11/16/14 07:39 PM Re: Save Game on Android [Re: LadyCFII]
VF_Life Offline
Consigliere

Loc: Tyler, TX
One time I was playing VV5 New Believers and when I switched between files my data was deleted on file 1. And I lost my data (PS: I Never backed up)

#237511 - 11/16/14 08:03 PM Re: Save Game on Android [Re: VF_Life]
MissKathy Administrator Offline
Lead Tester

Loc: California (USA)
Hi Christopher. VV5 is not currently available on Android.

#237512 - 11/16/14 10:26 PM Re: Save Game on Android [Re: MissKathy]
VF_Life Offline
Consigliere

Loc: Tyler, TX
I meant on my PC

Smileys
Arthur on Twitter