Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 163 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Questions about the music
by lorsieab2
04/18/24 06:09 PM
News about updates for our older games on iOS
by Keegan
04/08/24 03:47 PM
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
Blaznbeauty, Police12, ahebidafu, SwedishKaito, ewicos
30710 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30710 Members
76 Forums
19381 Topics
186931 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#233796 - 05/04/13 06:59 AM Genetics
GirlOnFire26 Offline

I've started noticing that the genetics seem to be random in VF2. I tested it out and each family that I created, their children would be totally different. I know that in VF and all the VV games the kids would look like whatever head was in between the parent's heads on the head chart.

I actually really like that it's random. I've had 2 dark haired people at the top of the chart have a very blond child that was at the bottom. I've had two blond parents have a red haired child and a dark haired child. Pretty much any combination you can think of, lol. But I am really liking the randomness of it all. I get the opportunity to be really surprised and play with the characters I might not otherwise choose on my own.

Anybody else noticed this as well?

I've started noticing that the genetics seem to be random in VF2. I tested it out and each family that I created, their children would be totally different. I know that in VF and all the VV games the kids would look like whatever head was in between the parent's heads on the head chart.

I actually really like that it's random. I've had 2 dark haired people at the top of the chart have a very blond child that was at the bottom. I've had two blond parents have a red haired child and a dark haired child. Pretty much any combination you can think of, lol. But I am really liking the randomness of it all. I get the opportunity to be really surprised and play with the characters I might not otherwise choose on my own.

Anybody else noticed this as well?

This is my family tree so far. From the first generation Caleb and Orchid are my adopted children. From my second generation Sienna and Jack are adopted. The rest are all biological children. Lol!

Attachments
VF2 family tree.jpg

#233804 - 05/04/13 08:23 PM Re: Genetics [Re: GirlOnFire26]
Corylea Offline
Expert

Loc: Boston area, USA
Several people have mentioned this, although most of the people who've mentioned it have a different attitude from yours; a lot of us would like a family tree to look like an actual family, with some resemblance among the generations. Glad you're happy, though. wink

#233810 - 05/05/13 12:29 AM Re: Genetics [Re: Corylea]
ajuma Offline
Master

Loc: South Korea
I've noticed it too and I'm not sure how I feel about it. On one hand, it's interesting to see what kid you get, but as Corylea said, it's kind of nice to have the family look like a family!

#233813 - 05/05/13 01:54 AM Re: Genetics [Re: ajuma]
GirlOnFire26 Offline

Maybe a button in the settings where you can choose to enable or disable genetics would be a great option (not sure how possible that would be though, lol). That way if you wanted the babies to match the mom and dad you would have the option. Or, like me, if you prefer it to really be a surprise you could turn it off and have a family that looks nothing like each other. Lol!

I personally don't want my children to become 'genetically correct' unless I at least have the option to make them random. Either way though the game is a blast and the people are so cute in VF2. smile

#233826 - 05/05/13 08:10 PM Re: Genetics [Re: GirlOnFire26]
Princess_Atta Offline
Expert

I really like so many of your names. Are those random names or names you are picking on your own? Because, if they are randomly generated, you are hitting the jackpot!!

I especially love little Finley in your 2nd generation there smile

And I currently have the multicolored hair like your Orchid. She was a 2nd generation child that I chose to take the house in my 3rd gen. Her name is Betty which is maybe the most normal name I've had generated so far lol.

Edited by Princess_Atta (05/05/13 08:12 PM)

#233827 - 05/05/13 10:18 PM Re: Genetics [Re: Princess_Atta]
GirlOnFire26 Offline

Originally Posted By: Princess_Atta
I really like so many of your names. Are those random names or names you are picking on your own? Because, if they are randomly generated, you are hitting the jackpot!!

And I currently have the multicolored hair like your Orchid. She was a 2nd generation child that I chose to take the house in my 3rd gen. Her name is Betty which is maybe the most normal name I've had generated so far lol.

Thank you! The names are not from the game. I have a long list of names I like that I choose from when a new baby is born. I don't have a theme or system. Lol, I just pick a random name from the list.

I find it difficult to remember a lot of the names from the game so I end up getting my little people confused. And plus, I really love names. I've kept name lists since I was kid. This game gives me the perfect opportunity to use them. :P

#233862 - 05/07/13 11:38 PM Re: Genetics [Re: GirlOnFire26]
Princess_Atta Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: GirlOnFire26

Thank you! The names are not from the game. I have a long list of names I like that I choose from when a new baby is born. I don't have a theme or system. Lol, I just pick a random name from the list.

I find it difficult to remember a lot of the names from the game so I end up getting my little people confused. And plus, I really love names. I've kept name lists since I was kid. This game gives me the perfect opportunity to use them. :P

That's a good idea. Being a nerd, I've often just used names of favorite characters in books/movies/television shows (usually based on if there's any resemblance), but that's gotten to be a little boring lately so I might try your trick.

And I'm a name lists person too! I've also kept lists since I was a kid and I honestly check babynames on the web quite frequently just to see what's trending and so on.

#233864 - 05/08/13 12:26 AM Re: Genetics [Re: Princess_Atta]
GirlOnFire26 Offline

Originally Posted By: GirlOnFire26

That's a good idea. Being a nerd, I've often just used names of favorite characters in books/movies/television shows (usually based on if there's any resemblance), but that's gotten to be a little boring lately so I might try your trick.

And I'm a name lists person too! I've also kept lists since I was a kid and I honestly check babynames on the web quite frequently just to see what's trending and so on.

Oh yes, I am constantly looking for new names. My lists consist of 100 girl names and 100 boy names. They range from very traditional to very trendy, and everything in between. Lol! If you ever need suggestions I'd gladly post my lists. smile

#233901 - 05/09/13 07:52 AM Re: Genetics [Re: GirlOnFire26]
evka8d Offline

I think that the genetics works a little bit different in VF2 however I like the fact that both of my families look like real families (except for few exceptions :D). I like the fact that I don't get the same looking kids again and again. I used to get kids that looked exactly like either their parents or siblings all the time and it was so boring. I have few examples when a kid looked like their parent or grandparent so far but none of the siblings looked alike except for twins and triplets of course laugh

Family N1
Family N2

None of the kids were adopted except for the last girl in gen 3 family 1 and second boy in gen 1 family 2. Family 2 picture is a little bit out of date I have started a new generation and they have 3 kids so far 2 girls and one boy but again they all look very similar smile

#233911 - 05/09/13 05:15 PM Re: Genetics [Re: evka8d]
GirlOnFire26 Offline

Originally Posted By: evka8d
I think that the genetics works a little bit different in VF2 however I like the fact that both of my families look like real families (except for few exceptions :D). I like the fact that I don't get the same looking kids again and again. I used to get kids that looked exactly like either their parents or siblings all the time and it was so boring. I have few examples when a kid looked like their parent or grandparent so far but none of the siblings looked alike except for twins and triplets of course laugh

Family N1
Family N2

None of the kids were adopted except for the last girl in gen 3 family 1 and second boy in gen 1 family 2. Family 2 picture is a little bit out of date I have started a new generation and they have 3 kids so far 2 girls and one boy but again they all look very similar smile

Lol, I totally agree. This picture shows my 3rd and 4th generations. All the kids are biological in generations 3 and 4. I love the range of differences between them all.

And I must say, you are lucky in the multiples department. I have yet to have multiples. I was quite lucky in VF1 because I would have them frequently. I am hoping the next generation will produce some twins or triplets.

Attachments
Generation 4.jpg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Smileys
Arthur on Twitter