Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 164 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Questions about the music
by lorsieab2
04/18/24 06:09 PM
News about updates for our older games on iOS
by Keegan
04/08/24 03:47 PM
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
Blaznbeauty, Police12, ahebidafu, SwedishKaito, ewicos
30710 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30710 Members
76 Forums
19381 Topics
186931 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#233262 - 04/22/13 07:42 PM Comments & Observations
Simsane Offline
Master

Loc: Washington State
When I told my peep to Prepare a Meal and was watching, she went to the left side of the table, right near that stool on the corner and bent over. I always play with the Music all the way down so I can hear the sounds and it sounded like she opened a cupboard door then shut it again. Then she moved along the table and repeated that gesture along with the accompanying sounds. Weird since the island doesn't have built in cupboards, lol!

I love the money you get from doing the tutorial but wish there was an option to NOT do it. I see where I can click to replay it (wonder if you get the coins again? lol!) but no option to NOT play the tutorial. I have played VF original for many years and really don't want to play the tutorial, especially not every single time I start a new peep.

There was a weed in the lower west corner of my yard that I could barely see and could barely put my peep onto because the Menu bar was halfway hiding it. I think I have the correct screen resolution -- mine is 1280 x 1024 -- but am not sure. Should I change it? Will that make it so the Menu bar is smaller and not blocking so much of the screen?

Where do they sleep? I seem to always start with a ratty old couch and can see ONE peep sleeping on that but what if they marry before I can fix up a room and/or buy a bed? What if they have kids right away, where will the kid sleep? I already had one peep marry and when the tutorial said to first place the couch and then to have my peeps try for baby, it worked and they got a baby. Now I don't know where to have them all sleep. Do they just sleep on the floor?

I love the fact that they don't have to carry each weed to the recycle bin, that's a great improvement, although a bit unrealistic. Also, why did they put the garbage in the recycle bin instead of into the garbage can?

Well, I guess that's all for now. I just bought the game and haven't had much time to check it out yet. Will probably come back when I notice more stuff.

Great game and am glad it finally came to PC!

Edit:

Went back into my game. Now, first of all I need to state that I have two games going. In the first one, I only have a single female. She has not married yet. My second game has the married couple with a new baby which I'm worried about where they will all sleep (especially after the baby turns into a child).

I decided to Change Players and went back into my first game. Right after the game started, the Tutorial box popped open and said, now that they are married, put one peep on to another to Try For Baby (well, something to that effect anyway). This peep isn't married yet, so how could I?

I really think they need to look into fixing the tutorial and maybe while they are at it, they can add an option to NOT play it.

I do like this game though and am not at all upset or frustrated or whatever that there are some little "oddities" in it. wink I also have most of LDW's games and bought most right when they came out so I am aware already that often times there are glitches to begin with and version updates will come out with the "fixes" in time.

Edited by Simsane (04/22/13 07:55 PM)
Edit Reason: Want to add a bit more

#233263 - 04/22/13 07:51 PM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Simsane]
Princess_Atta Offline
Expert

The peeps will all sleep on the couch and if there is no room available, in my case, they might just conk out on the floor smile

#233265 - 04/22/13 07:58 PM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Princess_Atta]
Simsane Offline
Master

Originally Posted By: Princess_Atta
The peeps will all sleep on the couch and if there is no room available, in my case, they might just conk out on the floor smile

ha,ha,ha, that's funny! laugh So, I guess I don't need to worry about a bed for a while. Thanks for the quick response.

#233266 - 04/22/13 08:06 PM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Simsane]
spygirl2 Offline
Trainee

Loc: Florida
I also love the fact that they don't have to go to the garbage each time they pull a weed.
I love the change in weather - rain, snow, fog - but, the fog needs to be over the outside and not over the rooms! It is so hard to see anything with that fog. Snow is so great! Need to be able to gather it for a snowman!
I also worried about the beds, but when one of my peeps got very sick and needed vancomycin, I couldn't afford the dr. visit nor the medicine, so I had to sell everything! Even after selling, I still didn't have enough money left, so I sold the double bed! Guess what! The mom stayed asleep on the floor where the bed had been! So, I guess they will sleep anywhere!

#233268 - 04/22/13 08:21 PM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: spygirl2]
stonzee Offline
Consigliere

Loc: Texas
How do you get your game to run with the 1280 x 1024 resolution?
I'm just curious.

#233269 - 04/22/13 08:27 PM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: spygirl2]
Simsane Offline
Master

Since I just bought the game, I've only seen sunshine, rain and most recently, fog. Because I also play the VV games, I was quickly scanning for collectibles while it was foggy but didn't actually see any -- guess the fog doesn't increase the chance of finding a collectible in VF2 like it does in the VV games. Oh well. I like the fog too but agree with you, it shouldn't be seen inside the house as it does make it more difficult to see. I just can't really see how they could fix that other than to get rid of the fog completely but I'm NOT a computer programmer so maybe it's possible.

It's too bad that you had such a serious illness hit so early in the game. I haven't had any illnesses yet but as I said, I just started playing. I know that in the original game it's fairly rare to see illnesses which require the vancomycin but maybe it will be more common in this version. I hope not as the doctor bill and the vancomycin add up to a lot of money that isn't easy to get in the beginning.

#233271 - 04/22/13 08:30 PM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: stonzee]
Simsane Offline
Master

Originally Posted By: stonzee
How do you get your game to run with the 1280 x 1024 resolution?
I'm just curious.

ummm, I don't know, it just does. That's the resolution my screen is always set at and I just started out by downloading the Trial version and installing it. I went into the game to play mostly to make sure it did play, then back out again to this site to buy the game. Waited to get the code then went back in, put the code in and started playing.

I didn't actually DO anything to get it to play in that resolution though, it just did.

Edited to add:

Just double-checked to make sure I had typed in the correct numbers for the screen resolution. Yep, it says 1280 x 1024 then below that it says Landscape. I do have a rather old monitor though, maybe that's why?

Edited by Simsane (04/22/13 08:32 PM)

#233272 - 04/22/13 08:32 PM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Simsane]
stonzee Offline
Consigliere

Loc: Texas
Thanks for your response. I don't have that resolution option or I would try it. I have a wide large screen laptop.

#233273 - 04/22/13 08:35 PM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: stonzee]
Simsane Offline
Master

Originally Posted By: stonzee
Thanks for your response. I don't have that resolution option or I would try it. I have a wide large screen laptop.

Oh, that's probably why. I have an older desktop computer and monitor -- no widescreen here. wink My husband and kids upgraded my computer for my birthday in January but didn't get me a new monitor to go with it. I'm content with mine though so that's ok. smile

#233280 - 04/22/13 09:37 PM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Simsane]
Corylea Offline
Expert

Loc: Boston area, USA
It's a big couch; it turns out that you can fit several people on it!

#233286 - 04/22/13 10:18 PM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Corylea]
Simsane Offline
Master

Hi Corylea (simsane's waving at you) --

I laughed at your response and then read your signature and laughed again. smile I have 5 grandkids, so I don't know if that's middle-aged or, ahem, senior, lol!

Well, for anyone reading this (hopefully maybe one of the game developers) I have a suggestion that may improve the game.

Please, please put the coin collectibles back into this game. You see, it's actually a bit unfair right now. You can't really collect the bugs except for after a rain and even then rarely plus you can't collect the dinosaur bones until after you first buy something in the store and if it's not in the store or if you don't have the money then you are out of luck.

Therefore, the only collectible that's readily available are the Nuts, Leaves and Twigs or whatever they are called. I miss the coins. frown

#233291 - 04/22/13 10:34 PM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Simsane]
Xay Administrator Offline
Customer Support Director

Loc: Colorado, US
Suggestions are best placed in the Developer Feedback Forum section that's used by many of our fans to offer suggestions and comments related to our games. We use that as our primary reference for fan feedback, and we do read all of the comments that are posted there, although we cannot promise to use a specific recommendation. Here is a link to the most appropriate forum area for you to post your feedback.

http://www.ldwforums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=233078#Post233078 smile
LDW Help Center
Submit a Support Request

#233293 - 04/22/13 10:40 PM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Xay]
Simsane Offline
Master

Originally Posted By: Xay
Suggestions are best placed in the Developer Feedback Forum section that's used by many of our fans to offer suggestions and comments related to our games. We use that as our primary reference for fan feedback, and we do read all of the comments that are posted there, although we cannot promise to use a specific recommendation. Here is a link to the most appropriate forum area for you to post your feedback.

http://www.ldwforums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=233078#Post233078 smile

Just came back to this thread and laughed when I read your comment -- only cause I had just got done putting my suggestion into that very same thread you have directed me to. But thank you Xay, I welcome your comment/advice. Hopefully the developers will give my suggestion some consideration.

Edited by Simsane (04/22/13 11:13 PM)

#233296 - 04/22/13 11:02 PM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Simsane]
swedane Offline
Master

Loc: BC. CANADA
Changing the game to a smaller res doesn't make the menu bar smaller. I'm inclined to make it transparent, did the same in VF.

You're right, there should be a way to turn the tutorial off and on.

What to do when your family -in their mid forties- has earned more money than they can spend in their virtual life? There's nothing more I can buy or do for them, except wait for them to pass on. It's rather a shame that we players can't decide what to buy and when to buy it. It make the game very restrictive and takes away the fun in progressing to the next level.

#233298 - 04/22/13 11:11 PM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: swedane]
Simsane Offline
Master

Swedane, are you talking about the fact that some items cannot be purchased until you are in the second generation or third generation, etc? I was wondering if that was going to be a "good" thing or a "bad" thing. Sounds like maybe it's not going to be such a good idea afterall.

I know though that with the original Virtual Families, once I had bought all the upgraded rooms and had purchased all the items that are offered in the upper right hand corner of the store (in the VF 1 game) I usually ended up wiping out that family and starting over. I got bored of it otherwise and just getting the trophies wasn't really that big of a deal for me.

This version seems to have a lot more to it -- like buying different colors of beds, lots more stuff to buy for career upgrades, etc. So I was hoping that I wouldn't get bored of it as easily. I think that's part of the reason they have the "generational locks" on the items as well but yea, I have a feeling that I'm not going to like those locks once I finally have enough money to get what I want but can't because of the locks.

Oh, and thanks for responding about the resolution -- I had a feeling that changing it wouldn't make any difference. I don't know how to mod, so I can't make it transparent. I can hope someone else uploads a mod that's already done that though, hint, hint, lol!

#233326 - 04/23/13 05:11 PM Comments & Observations
Simsane Offline
Master

Wow, Swedane, thanks for making that! That was so nice of you! I do get what you're saying and, to be honest with you, I'm not positive I really like this game. I hate to admit that cause I was so excited about it but I'm just not sure. I played it off and on all day yesterday after I bought it and then after dinner last evening I was playing my old Virtual Families that I have set to reverse day and night and I liked them better.

Sad, cause I was so hoping to love this game. Right now though, I only have one family running and I just went in there for the first time today and the Dad was sick. I picked him up and dropped him down over and over and over again and it wouldn't say HOW he was sick at all. He would just groan and it just kept saying he was sick. So, I went to purchase the Doctor's Visit and was SHOCKED at the price! Fortunately they had all night to add up money but still.

Why did they have to make it so much harder to get money (less collectibles) and then make EVERYTHING (except the food) be SO much more expensive?!! I am seriously thinking of deleting that family and deleting the icon off my desk and chalking it up to a loss of $10 bucks. I don't know, I just really don't like the added difficulty. Games should be fun and easy, not difficult and boring.

Edited by Simsane (04/23/13 05:13 PM)

#233333 - 04/23/13 07:43 PM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Simsane]
arnie Offline
Master of Meditation

Loc: London, UK
Ignoring the fact that the bone collectibles can't be got at from the beginning of the game, I wonder if in fact there are less collectibles? There were no duplicates of the house picture in VF1 so they're out as a source of money. So both games have essentially three sources of duplicates. However, the nuts and leaves do appear a lot in my game. I've been lucky enough to get the certificate now so can start to collect the dinosaur bones as well. Of course, it was also in the very first flea market screen right when I started the game - I had no chance of buying it then, even if its price had been half the 1500 coins. The insects, of course, appear when it's raining, just as in VF1.

I don't have VF1 installed on this machine so I can't compare with that, but the salaries paid to the peeps in the Windows/Mac version are twice those paid to those in the iOS version. Also, interest is paid at 10% (which I think was the same in VF1), whereas it starts at 1 or 2% (I think) in the iOS version. You can increase the interest rate paid, but it requires an in-app purchase using real money.

#233353 - 04/23/13 11:08 PM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: arnie]
Simsane Offline
Master

Arnie, you are correct, the salaries are higher. I need to give this game more time. Maybe I just don't know "how" to play very well yet and will love it once I get it more figured out.

Edited by Simsane (04/23/13 11:36 PM)

#233358 - 04/23/13 11:39 PM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Simsane]
swedane Offline
Master

I was a wee bit confused as to where things went, until I learned MissKathy moved the files to their proper location here.

I'm therefore reposting my original answer to Simsane. Are you confused too? grin
==========
Originally Posted By: Simsane
Swedane, are you talking about the fact that some items cannot be purchased until you are in the second generation or third generation, etc? I was wondering if that was going to be a "good" thing or a "bad" thing. Sounds like maybe it's not going to be such a good idea afterall.

Yes, Simsane, that's exactly it. The peeps responsiveness & consistency, in VF2, way surpasses any previous games.
Granted it has more stuff, but you can't get at it. Having to sit around and wait for the old folks to die off, is not exactly a barrel of laughs. crazy they are now in their late fifties and I'm still waiting.
==========

Phew.... I think it's all taken care now!

#233361 - 04/23/13 11:58 PM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: arnie]
swedane Offline
Master

Darn certificate shows up at the very start of the game, when you least can afford it. cry Now that I have the money, the certificate eludes me... cry some more.

Talk about nuts, I could open an almond warehouse.... I must have collected them in the hundreds. Seams like 60% of the collectables are nuts!

#233365 - 04/24/13 12:30 AM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: swedane]
Simsane Offline
Master

Hi again, Swedane. smile I haven't gotten far enough with any family to hit the point where I can no longer buy the things I would like to buy yet, but I definitely thought that the "generational locks" were a bad idea when I first read about them. I also think that the collecting certificate should be something that is for sale ALL the time (remember the picture in VF 1? All you had to do was figure out how to open the shed, which cost you nothing and was available instantly.) and that it shouldn't cost more than 100 coins tops.

A question, has anyone started a brand new peep since installing the updated version? I deleted my two games after I installed the new version and started a new one. I cannot get her to water the flowers that are in the flower boxes just to the right of the hose/watering cans. She picks up a watering can and fills it with the hose then walks somewhere else in the yard to water flowers. I have tried it four times already and she goes somewhere different each time, but never to the flower boxes. Is there some special trick to it? I know that one of the two families that I deleted had already watered the correct flowers and that I had received the trophy for that but I cannot get my newest peep to do it. Weird, huh?

#233368 - 04/24/13 12:53 AM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Simsane]
Mayfly Offline
Adviser

Loc: Colorado
Hi Simsane,

I have not installed the update yet. But, for my first family, my peeps watered many places in the garden and I still received the Plant Tycoon" goal.

I too am still completing my first generation and have run out things I want to buy. Have not updated a career, or bought a maid etc. But I have played the lottery a couple of times with the extra cash (some good some bad results).

I also am wondering about the generational wait. I must admit it has slowed me down so that I actually get some real work done. In VF1 I felt bad when my peeps died, now I can't wait. I feel a little ghoulish! And everytime my adults in Family 1 complain about not have XYZ room, I keep thinking "Careful what you wish for!"

One of the new things that has tickled my is the need to empty the trash can everytime Mom changes the baby's diaper.
I wish my Tween age children had something better to play with than a stuffed toy. Maybe a Ball that could go out side with them? I wish there was a hot spot where my peep could make coffee! and maybe a little energy boost.

My peeps have made so many pine cone xmas wreaths and nut cakes we are set for xmas 2039!

Edited by Mayfly (04/24/13 12:59 AM)
Edit Reason: Forgot to mention:

#233371 - 04/24/13 01:08 AM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Mayfly]
Corylea Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: Mayfly
And everytime my adults in Family 1 complain about not have XYZ room, I keep thinking "Careful what you wish for!"

Hee, hee. Yes, exactly! "But I can't add that second bathroom until YOU are dead! You sure you want it that much?"

Originally Posted By: Mayfly

I wish my Tween age children had something better to play with than a stuffed toy. Maybe a Ball that could go out side with them?

They can spontaneously choose to play a board game, but it's autonomous; you can't buy them a board game and make them play it. And they only play it alone; it would be nice if the kids could play together, or even if the whole family could play.

There just doesn't seem to be that much to do in this game...

#233376 - 04/24/13 02:12 AM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Corylea]
Simsane Offline
Master

hmmm, well maybe I'll start another peep and see if I can get the trophy for watering the plants with that one. I am beginning to think I need to completely uninstall and then reinstall the game but I think that would involve getting LDW to do something and Plimus to do something and I don't want to cause even more trouble for them. So, I'll first try it with another family instead.

#233379 - 04/24/13 02:24 AM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Simsane]

Simsane, did you see the answer that MissKathy posted for you, here about the flowers?
LDW Help Center
Submit a Support Request

#233386 - 04/24/13 03:11 AM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Xay]
Simsane Offline
Master

Thank you again, Xay, I have now read that post and responded again. smile

#233393 - 04/24/13 05:50 AM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Simsane]
arnie Offline
Master of Meditation

To check I've just got one of my peeps to water the flowers in the updated game. I'd already got the trophy at the beginning, so didn't get it again.
Click to reveal..
The important thing is to drop the peep in the right place. Drop the peep right in the middle of the circle made by the coiled hose, not on the watering cans or nearby.

#233397 - 04/24/13 07:40 AM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Simsane]
Corylea Offline
Expert

I got my family a puppy, and when they sat down to have a meal, the puppy came into the kitchen, then got up on its hind legs and begged! It was so cute.

#233400 - 04/24/13 08:41 AM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Corylea]
Simsane Offline
Master

Oh, that really is cute! Sounds like the pets are far more entertaining in this game than in the original. I quit buying the pets in the original because they were pretty boring, lol!

#233401 - 04/24/13 08:42 AM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: arnie]
Simsane Offline
Master

Originally Posted By: arnie
To check I've just got one of my peeps to water the flowers in the updated game. I'd already got the trophy at the beginning, so didn't get it again.
Click to reveal..
The important thing is to drop the peep in the right place. Drop the peep right in the middle of the circle made by the coiled hose, not on the watering cans or nearby.

Thank you Arnie! That's probably what I'm doing wrong -- I didn't really pay attention the two times I did get that trophy before I updated to the newer version. I must not be dropping her in the correct spot. I'll check tomorrow as she's sleeping (hopefully anyway, lol!) right now.

#233403 - 04/24/13 08:48 AM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Simsane]
swedane Offline
Master

Don't jump off any cliffs, just yet! Give your family time to prove their worth. They really don't care if they sleep in a bed or on a couch, even the floor will do, if they have too.

My first family surprised the heck out of me! I'm on my 3rd day playing and so far they've accumulated a little over 25,757 coins. Bear in mind, I've bought-up everything conceivable. I praise them a lot, give them goodies here and there. I am convinced, it helps keep them on track.

Isn't the Doctor's consultation, in the 1st. VF, somewhere in the 450 range? If you wait a wee while, the peeps will usually let you know what's ailing them. Don't be too quick to grant them their wishes, their happiness is short lived.

I noticed the ever rotating collectables, and I don't bother my peeps unless it's an uncommon one. On behalf of my first family, who are now in their late fifties, I'm thankful the collectables keeps repeating. smile

Have you checked the difference, if any, between the salaries in VF1 versa VF2? I have a hunch the salaries are higher in VF2.

Rather than convince yourself about all the difficulties that may or may not lay ahead, challenge yourself!
I don't know about you, but I never could say NO to a challenge! Especially since it was you that got me going on the menu bar!! grin

ps. One down one to go. Still waiting for my guy to retire his slipper. grin

#233404 - 04/24/13 09:03 AM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: swedane]
Simsane Offline
Master

I know, you're right. wink I get frustrated even though I normally have the patience for all LDW's games (well, I've never played the Plant or the Fish one but I have all the rest of their games) but this one is just frustrating me to know end. I have one family going right now and it's one I just started earlier after I installed the update. She was still single when I closed the game so she could sleep for the night.

I have 3 families going in the original version and I play them with the Day/Night reversed cause I'm quite a night owl myself.

Anyway, I'm going to continue trying cause I figure I just have to get the feel for this game. I think that once I make it past the first few days then things will start running more smoothly.

Oh, and I'm glad you brought up the menu bar. I see you moved it to the Mods section and that you also mention Mac users. I did download it but I'm not sure what to do with it, lol! I'm not very tech savvy. Anyway, I have a PC instead of a Mac, but it will work for both, right? Also, do I need to put both those files into the images folder?

Edit to add: Nvm, I got it figured out. Went in to check and my peep was completely exhausted but had received a promotion. Wonder why she was so exhausted...I have been playing VF 1 on my computer but that shouldn't have kept her awake, should it? I know my VF 1 families sleep during the day and I can be on my computer playing other games or browsing the web during the day and yet come 7:00 to 8:00 in the evening when I open that game back up, they are fully rested. Well, tomorrow I won't even get a chance to play again until at least 10:30 or so, so hopefully she'll manage to get some rest by then, lol!

Edited by Simsane (04/24/13 09:24 AM)

#233405 - 04/24/13 11:15 AM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Simsane]
swedane Offline
Master

As you probably know from playing VF1, the peeps sleep in short intervals, 10-15 min at most.

Good to hear you're giving up, that's the spirit! I'm now in the 2nd. part of the game. You can look forward to a bunch of new upgrades plus some different skills the peeps have acquired.

Yes, the files will work on both Mac & PC. And, yes, BOTH FILES need to go into the image folder. Just remember to copy the original ones and put them in a different folder, which can be anywhere on your PC. I made a folder called VF2-Originals as I suspect I'll be adding more mods. Looking forward to see other players mods!

Time for this night owl to get some sleep.

Proudly announcing the birth of twins, one of each sex. smile

Attachments
First set of twins.jpg

Description: Delighted to announce; we have our first set of twins.

#233409 - 04/24/13 01:24 PM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: swedane]
arnie Offline
Master of Meditation

The main thing to remember with VF2 in particular is that it lasts a long time! People who expect to finish a game in a day or so needn't apply! smile

The game is designed so that it will take six weeks or so to reach the sort of position where all the items are unlocked and available. That way interest is spread out over the period; each generation brings new upgrades to install and prices are set so that the most expensive upgrades come at the end. That way younger and/or less wise players won't be tempted to spend all their money on something they can't really afford.

I'm not saying players need to spend a lot of time over those six weeks. You only really need to check on your peeps two or three times a day, for five to ten minutes a time. Just make sure they've got enough food, are not sick, buy them the occasional upgrade, see if they are willing to try for another baby perhaps, look around for some collectibles and so on. That's why VF is called a casual game. smile

#233418 - 04/24/13 05:41 PM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: arnie]
Simsane Offline
Master

Hi again, Swedane! Yes, the menu bar you made works beautifully, thank you again. smile Congratulations on the twins -- not having them be the same sex is a definite change from the first game. At least I think it is, I can't remember ever having twins in that game that were not the same sex, so that's neat.

Hi Arnie, good advice but I actually already knew that as I've played VF (original) and all the VV games and have never once done anything to change the time. As I said, I'm used to these games taking time but I think I simply need to get used to "how" this game works -- maybe it's the "differences" between the original and this game that are bugging me, I'm not really sure.

Anyway, I do think that after some time of playing that I will end up liking this second version far better than the first. smile

#233419 - 04/24/13 06:28 PM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Simsane]
arnie Offline
Master of Meditation

Yes, I've never heard of twins of different sexes in any LDW game before either.

My remarks weren't aimed at you, Simsane, or anyone in particular, just those who might be reading this thread. I think I already like this game better than VF1, although of course it's rather too soon to tell for sure. In VF1 there's not really a lot to do after a certain period of time, just watch the money pile up. At least that point should be deferred in VF2 (I hope).

#233420 - 04/24/13 06:36 PM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Simsane]
Corylea Offline
Expert

I normally have the patience for all LDW's games (well, I've never played the Plant or the Fish one but I have all the rest of their games)

I love Plant Tycoon! Let this be a recommendation that you acquire it.

I made very sure to NOT look at any of the online charts so that everything would be a surprise, and I felt like a genetics researcher while playing. If you cross THIS kind of foliage with THAT kind of foliage, what will you get? Wow, it looks like THAT? Cool! So what will breeding one of the old plants with the new one produce? I had endless pages of notes, keeping track of what I'd crossed with what and what the results had been.

Now that I've played it once, I just make some pretty flowers, but the first time around, it was really fascinating. Of course, I love science, so "I feel like a genetics researcher" might not make everyone feel great. grin

#233421 - 04/24/13 06:37 PM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: arnie]
arnie Offline
Master of Meditation

Here's my family the couch potatoes. Earlier I found them all sitting around reading books so they're not all hooked on TV.

#233424 - 04/24/13 06:59 PM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: swedane]
Pinkanista Offline
Adviser

Loc: The Netherlands
i downloaded the trial today but so far i only got one specific leaf twice and a pinecone twice, no nuts.

#233443 - 04/24/13 11:10 PM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Pinkanista]
Simsane Offline
Master

Hey, Swedane, I finally checked the Doctor Consultation price in the original and it's 175 coins -- lots cheaper than this version. Pinkanista, I got 15 out of 48 collectibles in the first 2 hours of playing a new peep last night in the original game and have only 5 out of 36 from playing my peep for about 5 to 6 hours total so far in this new version, so you're not alone.

Corylea, you should be one of LDW's sales people, lol! You make the game sound really fun but it's just never interested me before. Often when I'm not playing one of LDW's games then I'm playing a Hidden Object/Adventure game from Big Fish. Or, I'm reading a book. I do watch T.V. but actually not much. I know, I'm a pretty boring person but that's me. wink

Arnie, I didn't take it in a negative way, I was just trying to explain that I understand. It it a good idea to tell people what you told me though cause this type of game definitely is not for everyone. I like watching their lives "unfold" and change slowly, but some people would just be bored by it. I do like faster paced games too but not super fast nor the kind where you are playing against the clock or even other players. (I have never played an "on-line" game with other players and probably never will but I know some people love those types of games.)

Back to my games! laugh

Oh, I forgot one thing -- love that picture of all your peeps on the couch and bed, lol! I cannot wait to see pics of completed houses. I do LOVE the fact that we can make the rooms be what we want them to be -- THAT is a wonderful improvement over the first version!

#233452 - 04/25/13 02:19 AM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Simsane]
Anarose Offline
Adviser

Loc: USA
I have enjoyed reading everyone's comments and just have to jump in and say I LOVE VF 2 JUST HOW IT IS..no complaints. It is a lovely place to spend time where I can sit back with a cuppa tea, relax and enjoy the trip along the way. True..this is not a game for those who need to have things moving full speed ahead. I appreciate the details and having something new for each new generation.

I have four families going. Each one has a different theme or style. For example, one family has been founded by a very parsimonious matriarch. If it aint on sale she won't buy it. Good thing the cheap sofas double as beds!

#233453 - 04/25/13 03:06 AM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Anarose]
Simsane Offline
Master

Hi Anarose and welcome! Glad you added to this thread. smile You have an interesting way of playing, will be curious to hear about that family as it progresses. I don't mean to sound so negative really, that's why I've also tried to say positive things that I like about this game.

I now think that because things are more expensive and because there are so many more items available, that it is actually going to hold my interest much longer than the original.

#233454 - 04/25/13 03:24 AM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: swedane]
MissKathy Administrator Offline
Lead Tester

Loc: California (USA)
Originally Posted By: swedane
Proudly announcing the birth of twins, one of each sex. smile

Wow! Congratulations!!! I'd love to see them! Can you post a screenshot of your Family Tree with the twins on it? smile

#233461 - 04/25/13 05:29 AM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Simsane]
Erin333 Offline

Loc: West Cork Éire
Sean my cute blonde headed bloke, been waiting for the right proposal..I like to have 1 cute blonde couple....that match well..right away he had the soft knock on door, and he adopted this cute sweet kid..since age 25, now age 30 still had not found right match, today, email..the cute long hair blonde,showed up Brid was perfect and rich.. though it was love at first sight..
Well it was so cute you know how the bloke goes gets the rose, for her, so did the wee 3 year old adopted Michael, bring her a rose too..
It was so cute..Then they had twins..Oh my...lolol

#233462 - 04/25/13 05:58 AM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Erin333]
arnie Offline
Master of Meditation

I like the way the guy hands his new wife a rose. Very romantic. In exchange, she hands him ... a pizza! smile

Similarly, when she has a baby, he comes up with a gift-wrapped present, as do any other boys in the family. Any girls don't give their mother anything.

#233463 - 04/25/13 09:50 AM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Simsane]
swedane Offline
Master

Congratulations on the twins -- not having them be the same sex is a definite change from the first game. At least I think it is, I can't remember ever having twins in that game that were not the same sex, so that's neat.
Yes, I've never heard of twins of different sexes in any LDW game before either.

You're both right, the twins are GIRLS. I acted on their names, Uffa & Soonina. I thought for sure "Uffa" was a boy!! It wasn't till I saw them running around I realized my mistake! shocked

Your 'romantic' remark made me burst out laughing.. Thinking.. if guys had the choice, they'd probably go for the pizza! smile

#233466 - 04/25/13 12:40 PM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: MissKathy]
swedane Offline
Master

Originally Posted By: MissKathy

Wow! Congratulations!!! I'd love to see them! Can you post a screenshot of your Family Tree with the twins on it? smile
Here they are... totally opposite looking from their parents... which is fine with me!

Attachments
McIver-Family.jpg

Description: The McIvor Twins

#233468 - 04/25/13 12:49 PM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: swedane]
arnie Offline
Master of Meditation

Originally Posted By: swedane
Thinking.. if guys had the choice, they'd probably go for the pizza! smile

Too right! You can't eat a rose! grin

Well, at a glance, I'd have thought they were both boys!

#233470 - 04/25/13 12:53 PM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Simsane]
Pinkanista Offline
Adviser

Loc: The Netherlands
simsane, i just found my first nut, lol. It snowed and than all of a sudden leaves started popping up and a nut!(I could make a tree out of the leaves i found by now lol.)
I also love it that a room can be what you want, recently they have been whatching at the biggest room by far saying wishing a utility room. I was like istn that a bit to big for a utility room?
lol

#233474 - 04/25/13 05:09 PM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Pinkanista]
Simsane Offline
Master

Great, Pinkanista and yea, I think I could make a tree too, lol! My kid (only have one so far, they refuse to try for another one) keeps goign to that largest room and saying he wished it was an "exercise" room! As far as I knew, there wasn't even going to BE an exercise room, lol!

#233475 - 04/25/13 05:15 PM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Simsane]
Anarose Offline
Adviser

Hi Anarose and welcome! Glad you added to this thread. smile You have an interesting way of playing, will be curious to hear about that family as it progresses.

I now think that because things are more expensive and because there are so many more items available, that it is actually going to hold my interest much longer than the original.

Thank you for the welcome. I own, play and LOVE all of the VV and VF games!

You have "hit the nail on the head" this version does offer us more long term challenges and inspires more personal game play ideas and challenges.

I will be happy to share updates about my Happy family :-)

Also I wish to congratulate Swedane on the arrival of boy -girl twins! That really is very unusual!

#233477 - 04/25/13 06:30 PM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Simsane]
Corylea Offline
Expert

My kid (only have one so far, they refuse to try for another one) keeps goign to that largest room and saying he wished it was an "exercise" room! As far as I knew, there wasn't even going to BE an exercise room, lol!

Well, you can buy a treadmill, so maybe whatever room you put it in will be the exercise room. wink

My people keep wishing for a kids' room. There's a room that contains three children's beds and two plush toys. Isn't that a children's room? What the heck do they want? confused

The mother of my first generation died last night, and her grown daughter moved back in and took over the house. When the daughter moved in, she was Elated. Well, geeze, I know it's nice to be in charge and all, but your mother just died. Couldn't you be merely happy for a day or two? crazy

#233480 - 04/25/13 08:54 PM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Corylea]
Simsane Offline
Master

lol! I agree, that's not very nice of her to be elated right after the death of her mother -- wonder how well they got along, lol!

I read in some post that apparently you can make two bedrooms for kids -- like one for the girls and one for the boys, so maybe that's what she's wishing for?

Yea, I knew about the treadmill but am actually wondering if an update will add more exercise equipment as well. Plus, I think I remember seeing some yoga equipment in one of the store sections? Might be thinking of a different game or just thinking that there should be some, am not sure. I sometimes suffer from CRS. (I can't right that out for anyone who doesn't already know what it is, lol! But just think of Senior Moments instead, lol!)

#233485 - 04/25/13 09:19 PM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Simsane]
Corylea Offline
Expert

Plus, I think I remember seeing some yoga equipment in one of the store sections?

You're right, there IS yoga equipment, so your memory is better than you're giving yourself credit for. wink

#233520 - 04/26/13 09:44 AM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Corylea]
arnie Offline
Master of Meditation

I see you've already installed it in your pink bedroom mod, Corylea!

Looks good, BTW!

#233521 - 04/26/13 11:02 AM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: arnie]
ajuma Offline
Master

Loc: South Korea
The one thing I've noticed about this game is that I'm not as emotionally invested in the peeps as I was when I first played VF1. I actually paused my game for a couple of days because I knew one of my peeps was going to pass away. When I finally turned the game back on, I cried when the first peep died. I'm sure I won't this time.

#233536 - 04/26/13 06:38 PM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: arnie]
Corylea Offline
Expert

I see you've already installed it in your pink bedroom mod, Corylea!

Looks good, BTW!

Thank you, Arnie! smile

#233539 - 04/26/13 07:32 PM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Corylea]
Simsane Offline
Master

Corylea, I actually checked out your Pink Bedroom mod (and have downloaded it but my peeps haven't upgraded that room yet) but not until After I had written the above post.

Thankfully my memory IS better than I gave it credit for, lol! Although I didn't even notice that I wrote "right" instead of "write", lol!

#233542 - 04/26/13 08:04 PM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Simsane]
Anarose Offline
Adviser

Well, I've been kicking myself for buying VF2 from a different vendor (had a game credit to spend there..) instead here at the LDW place..which is what I had originally intended to do. The vendor has not yet provided the update and the mods in the tech forum there are like stuck records suggesting that the glitches are probably caused by things outside of the game. Never mind the fact that many players whose computers run on different operating systems are having the same problems!

Happily, my game is plays smoothly despite a minor, occasional cursor blip. (Thanks for putting up with my posting a complaining comment!) Still, my game needs a few fixes!

Now..back to enjoying the game!

Originally Posted By: ajuma
The one thing I've noticed about this game is that I'm not as emotionally invested in the peeps as I was when I first played VF1. I actually paused my game for a couple of days because I knew one of my peeps was going to pass away. When I finally turned the game back on, I cried when the first peep died. I'm sure I won't this time.

I will confess that at a certain point I keep hoping the stragglers from a generation will hurry up and delete so that I can move on to the next! ( I have both VF and VF 2 in play)

Hi Corylea (simsane's waving at you) --

I laughed at your response and then read your signature and laughed again. smile I have 5 grandkids, so I don't know if that's middle-aged or, ahem, senior, lol!

I am a great granny and a great fan of LD of W games :-)

You mention missing the coin collection. So do I. Would be nice if the game could be updated with additional collections for those of us who are hooked on completing collections. I would even be willing to pay a small fee for such additions.

#233576 - 04/28/13 05:09 AM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Anarose]
Anarose Offline
Adviser

I am enjoying all of the little surprises that are happening along the way! :-)

#233577 - 04/28/13 07:45 AM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Anarose]
Simsane Offline
Master

Hi Anarose, I also have both VF and VF 2 going on my computer. I play VF 2 during the day and VF until I'm so tired I have to get to bed, lol!

Well, I'm a ways off (hopefully anyway!) from being a Great Grandma as my oldest grandchild just turned 14 and he's just starting to get interested in girls -- I'm hoping it's at least another 10 years away, lol! You never know nowadays though.

Yes, bring back the coin collection -- I'll pay more too!

#233592 - 04/28/13 05:10 PM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Simsane]
Sundance Offline

Hi all! I'm not a regular poster but have been a LDW games fan for years - addicted to VF1. Just downloaded VF2 on my pc and loving it (got impatient waiting for it!). I have a couple of issues: One of my peeps never seems to complete a cycle of work in the kitchen. He just keeps working and the counter top never clears off. He has progressed to almost level 4 so I know somethings working right. Also, when both of my adult peeps work on their careers, I never see coins added to the total. Is this something new from VF1 or do I have a glitch? Hope I put this question in the right thread. I'm not good at these forums. Thanks in advance for any comments/suggestions.

#233595 - 04/28/13 05:57 PM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Simsane]
Anarose Offline
Adviser

Hi Anarose, I also have both VF and VF 2 going on my computer. I play VF 2 during the day and VF until I'm so tired I have to get to bed, lol!

Well, I'm a ways off (hopefully anyway!) from being a Great Grandma as my oldest grandchild just turned 14 and he's just starting to get interested in girls -- I'm hoping it's at least another 10 years away, lol! You never know nowadays though.

Yes, bring back the coin collection -- I'll pay more too!

Simsane, I spend time with my VF 1 and 2 families off and on during the day - most days. Nice reward for getting other things done. Also have all of the Virtual Villager games going; some of my villages are paused, Oh, and Plant and Fish tycoon as well. Good thing those can be set to slow or paused!

We all play differently. While some just pop in for a quick look-see once in a while others of us enjoy actually spending time with our little friends and their families. smile

#233596 - 04/28/13 06:03 PM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Sundance]
Anarose Offline
Adviser

Originally Posted By: Sundance
Hi all! I'm not a regular poster but have been a LDW games fan for years - addicted to VF1. Just downloaded VF2 on my pc and loving it (got impatient waiting for it!). I have a couple of issues: One of my peeps never seems to complete a cycle of work in the kitchen. He just keeps working and the counter top never clears off. He has progressed to almost level 4 so I know somethings working right. Also, when both of my adult peeps work on their careers, I never see coins added to the total. Is this something new from VF1 or do I have a glitch? Hope I put this question in the right thread. I'm not good at these forums. Thanks in advance for any comments/suggestions.

Sundance, You may wish to share this in the technical issue forum ( I know there is a place to do this - may not be called something else confused. I understand that as of April 23 LDW updated the full & trial versions offered here. Not sure what all this corrected? I do know that if we purchased and downloaded the game from a different vender we must wait until that vender is ready to provide the update.

Others have experienced the same kitchen worker frustration. In my game this has never been a problem.

Edited by Anarose (04/28/13 06:23 PM)
Edit Reason: changed a word

#233597 - 04/28/13 06:16 PM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Sundance]
arnie Offline
Master of Meditation

Quote:
I have a couple of issues: One of my peeps never seems to complete a cycle of work in the kitchen. He just keeps working and the counter top never clears off. He has progressed to almost level 4 so I know somethings working right.
What is your peep's job?
Quote:
when both of my adult peeps work on their careers, I never see coins added to the total. Is this something new from VF1 or do I have a glitch?
That's normal when the peeps aren't earning much at the beginning of their careers. Unlike VF1, VF2 doesn't work in fractions of a coin, so the money added after a successful work cycle is often less than one. The fractions are, however, added up and credited when they reach a whole coin and so you don't lose out on anything.

#233600 - 04/28/13 06:31 PM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: arnie]
Anarose Offline
Adviser

Arnie, that is what I was thinking..that peeps who earn less start out slower. I know this is how it works with my peeps. Again, this game requires some patience on our part :-)

If Sundance's kitchen worker does not over time show any progress I suppose this would be a problem with the game- especially since the peep has reached level 4!

Sundance, please let us know what happens over time with this peep's work progress!

Edited by Anarose (04/28/13 06:32 PM)
Edit Reason: clarified comment

#233606 - 04/28/13 08:44 PM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: ajuma]
swedane Offline
Master

Originally Posted By: ajuma
I suspect it's partly due to the goals and, or, rewards in reaching the top levels, ASAP. Which has brought the emphases on working till they drop, ASAP! Then it's onto the next family…. smile

It will be interesting to note how we feel when all levels are completed!

#233611 - 04/28/13 09:43 PM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Anarose]
Sundance Offline

Originally Posted By: Anarose

Sundance, please let us know what happens over time with this peep's work progress!

Arnie & Anarose - thanks for your replies. I will definitely let you know how it goes. Your explanation re the salary not toting up each time in the beginning make sense.

#233622 - 04/29/13 03:39 AM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Anarose]
Erin333 Offline

I have a wee girl that's been depressed since birth, she is now 7..still depressed..
I did everything, treat her, have her do something good, and reward her, then costly therapy, where she became just a wee blue, eh today again, she is depressed I mean her happiness level is flat lined poor thing..:(

Edited by Erin333 (04/29/13 03:40 AM)
Edit Reason: grammer edit

#233623 - 04/29/13 04:07 AM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Erin333]

What are her likes and dislikes, Erin? Those could be affecting her smile
LDW Help Center
Submit a Support Request

#233624 - 04/29/13 04:19 AM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Xay]
Erin333 Offline

Originally Posted By: Xay
What are her likes and dislikes, Erin? Those could be affecting her smile

None..she has neither..
After I asked this Q went into game, had an event.. a talent scout offered to take her to Europe and study, and star in some films, good timing really.
I decided, tis better then very expensive therapy that's not working, so she's off to another part of 'Europe' Paris perchance...Maybe she'll find happiness there, will she still be available to take the house in next generation, well that's if she's not still depressed..
Ta for the reply..:)

Edited by Erin333 (04/29/13 04:21 AM)
Edit Reason: grammer edit

#233626 - 04/29/13 04:32 AM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Erin333]
Anarose Offline
Adviser

Originally Posted By: Erin333

After I asked this Q went into game, had an event.. a talent scout offered to take her to Europe and study, and star in some films, good timing really.
I decided, tis better then very expensive therapy that's not working, so she's off to another part of 'Europe' Paris perchance...Maybe she'll find happiness there, will she still be available to take the house in next generation, well that's if she's not still depressed..
Ta for the reply..:)

Yes, she will still be eligible to inherit the house.

Chances are good she will no longer be depressed. Just to satisfy curiosity, please let us know what her mood is if she does indeed inherit and move in.

I understand the therapy helps only a little at time and requires more than one session. How many, I don't know?

Anyways, a peep will not die from being unhappy. Being unhappy may affect an adult's work ability and impede career progress.

Giving a peep a sweet provides a little, perhaps temporary, happiness.

Edited by Anarose (04/29/13 04:35 AM)
Edit Reason: Added comment

#233760 - 05/03/13 11:54 AM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: Anarose]
ajuma Offline
Master

I didn't want to start a new thread so I thought I'd ask here: What's the top career level? 7? 8? I can't remember from VF1...and is it different in VF2?

#233763 - 05/03/13 01:20 PM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: ajuma]
LadyCFII Administrator Offline
Unicorn

Loc: Colorado
It's level 8, the same as the first VF game. laugh

#233768 - 05/03/13 03:12 PM Re: Comments & Observations [Re: LadyCFII]
ajuma Offline
Master

Thanks Lady! blush It's been some time since I've played VF1! But playing VF2 has made me go back to check on my VF1 families....and OMG!!! I paused them, but some of them have ridiculous amounts of money! I wish I could give my VF2 fams a loan! wink

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Smileys
Arthur on Twitter