Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 155 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Questions about the music
by lorsieab2
04/18/24 06:09 PM
News about updates for our older games on iOS
by Keegan
04/08/24 03:47 PM
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
gbbxox, Blaznbeauty, Police12, ahebidafu, SwedishKaito
30711 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30711 Members
76 Forums
19382 Topics
186933 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Topic Options
#230952 - 03/05/12 09:19 PM I Feel Like LDW Has Kept Me From Becoming Bitter
YaelleG Offline
Consigliere

Loc: Baltimore
Hello......I am a long, long time fan/user of most of the LDW games. I used to be in these forums everyday. Took a little time off....I tell you what me to thinking about Fish Tycoon and all of the Virtual Villagers games.
Disclaimer: I didnt sleep last night. Not a wink. So if it shows....lol

I've been playing a lot of Farmville the past 2.5 years (or so) & for someone like me, and the very close knit group of 30 or so other players that I'm involved with. I have a few hundred Farmville neighbors, most of whom were total strangers added to my Facebook just so we could play together. Over time, some of us would begin chatting with each other, talk literally several (many) times per day every single day about any & everything and we are all sickeningly obsessed with that game LOL. Makes me feel better knowing that not only am I not alone, but neither are they. There are a LOT of players. Or at least there were.....that brings me to my point.
I cannot help mentally comparing the guys at LDW to the um....people at Zynga. My time & experience with Last Day of Work as a customer was in every way the exact opposite of most things I've felt/noticed dealing with Zynga and their games. I remember coming in here & seeing alll the time and care and sweat put into the games by Arthur and all of those guys...and thats saying something because whatever the first game was that I ever played of theirs (it was either VV1 or Fish Tycoon) came out immediately after my brain surgery & I was the definition of cognitive impairement. (In the VA hospital, where I spent 6 months of 2010, my nickname was 50. As in 50 First Dates - cuz I cant remember anything......lol anyway)
So you know how you get a physical sensation sometimes when remembering something? I feel all warm & fuzzy and very pleasant when I think of everything to do with this company and I've never felt that before. My bitter experience with Farmville - a game I truly LOVE. I mean I LOVE farmville - I spend $20 each & every month on it. $20 is not a ton of money but a. its a game, and b. its a game that can be paid for free if one chooses. So my point in saying how much I love FV is that for every little nugget of pleasure I get out of playing with imaginary trees, I feel that much resentment and disgust for the company that runs the game. Its just that up until a week or two ago I was seriously becoming So embittered with gaming in general. That'll happen when you spend a few hours a day every day (I am only 35 but I'm medically retired from the Navy so I've got the time!) a few hours every day in a game where they literally try their hardest to mess over customers. (think I'm wrong? Go to the Zynga forums or elsewhere & read some of the user feedback.)
Soooo if I have made any sense here, basically I'm trying to say these guys here at LDW are SUCH breath of fresh air. And I'm glad I remembered.
I have Fish Tycoon here on my Macbook Pro but I havent been able to play for hte past 18-24 months or so because my game always resets itself. But I began playing it on my iPhone again this weekend so its all good.

#230957 - 03/06/12 04:52 AM Re: I Feel Like LDW Has Kept Me From Becoming Bitter [Re: YaelleG]
Xay Administrator Offline
Customer Support Director

Loc: Colorado, US
Hello, Yaelle smile

About Fish Tycoon on your Mac, the following might help you be able to play it again smile

It's likely that your Fish Tycoon savegames and preferences were stored in a location where the game cannot find them. That most often occurs when upgrading from the original version of Fish Tycoon to the Universal Binary version of Fish Tycoon, since the two versions store the savegame files in different locations. To determine which version of the game you are running, look in the lower left corner of the game's Menu screen. Version 1.51 is the Universal Binary version and uses the location ~user/Library/Preferences/LDW/Fish Tycoon to store the savegame files. Earlier versions (e.g. 1.00) store the savegame files in the folder where the Fish Tycoon application is located. When you launch Fish Tycoon, the savegame files must be in the correct location, or the game will be unable to load them and will simply start a new game when it's launched. You should be able to find your previously saved game(s) and put them in the proper location for the version of Fish Tycoon that you're running by following these steps:

Search your computer (using something like Spotlight or Sherlock) for files called FishTycoon**.ldw (where ** is a number). Note that there is no space in the filename, unlike the game's folder and application bundle name. There may be up to 11 of those files, depending upon how many player slots you were using. The single-digit numbers are your "primary" savegame files and are numbered 1-5 (corresponding to the player slots). The two-digit numbers are the "backup" savegame files, and are numbered 21-25. There is also a file FishTycoon0.ldw, which contains settings.
Move those savegame files to the correct folder for your version of the game.
Launch Fish Tycoon and you should see your game in progress again.

LDW Help Center
Submit a Support Request

#230959 - 03/06/12 01:52 PM Re: I Feel Like LDW Has Kept Me From Becoming Bitter [Re: YaelleG]
arnie Offline
Master of Meditation

Loc: London, UK
I know just how you feel, YaelleG. In my case the Zynga game I'm addicted to is Café World, but I'm seriously thinking of giving it up because it takes up too much time. Unlike you, though, I take great care not to spend any "real" money on the game. Zynga's pop-up ads that are trying to persuade me to buy something or other really annoy me, not least because they have a habit of appearing just when I was about to click on something else, so I accidentally click on the ad instead and have to reopen the game.

The support provided by Zynga and LDW couldn't be more different; you always feel that it is begrudged by Zynga, whereas that given by LDW is much more friendly. To be fair, Zynga is a vastly larger organisation. These forums, too, are much more friendly.

#230963 - 03/07/12 10:32 AM Re: I Feel Like LDW Has Kept Me From Becoming Bitter [Re: arnie]
YaelleG Offline
Consigliere

Loc: Baltimore
ah i had been meaning to come back to this & check for replies. thanks a bunch for answering. So I'm going to re-read these replies here & possibly reply again if necessary. Thanks!
To Arnie - Cafe World is a game of HARASSMENT! OMG LOL I just...the constant begging...its so awful!

Know one thing I'm guilty of? I dont like to have a big ugly folder as the icon for the game, but rather to move the fishy picture out and place that either on my desktop or in my games folder.....so maybe that is causing some of the problems?
I mean, who wants to look at a big ugly old blue folder all the time when they could have those pretty red & blue fish? (seriously....)
So I will follow your steps, should work. Of course.
Thanks again.

#230966 - 03/08/12 06:35 AM Re: I Feel Like LDW Has Kept Me From Becoming Bitter [Re: YaelleG]
Xay Administrator Offline
Customer Support Director

Loc: Colorado, US
If it doesn't, let me know and we might have you re-install it. You shouldn't have to be looking at that "ugly blue folder" laugh
LDW Help Center
Submit a Support Request

Moderator:  MissKathy, Rockmower 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter