Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
1 registered (LadyCFII), 276 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Questions about the music
by lorsieab2
04/18/24 06:09 PM
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
Ceci, gbbxox, Blaznbeauty, Police12, ahebidafu
30712 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30712 Members
76 Forums
19382 Topics
186933 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#218868 - 03/02/10 12:20 AM [SPOILERS] Nursery School - questions
cnm Offline
Consigliere

Loc: Sunnyvale, CA
My Nursery School is relatively new and I'd like very much to hear others' experiences.

1. Does having more than one teacher in the school increase kids' skill acquisition? Would 3 be even better?

2. Do the kids' skills actually increase? I've given them great triple-master teachers but I don't see the kids' skills increasing at all.

Incidentally I love it that they can go to school while still nursing - but again, I see no skill increases.

#218934 - 03/02/10 12:14 PM Re: [SPOILERS] Nursery School - questions [Re: cnm]
swedane Offline
Master

Loc: BC. CANADA
It isn't enough to write SPOILER in the subject line. All spoilers must be hidden by using the spoiler function. wink
The nursery puzzle is referred to, in the forum, as Puzzle #9: Questions about Puzzle #9 are posted here.
One you get there, please take time and read post #1 by Gamemastr1. laugh

#218982 - 03/02/10 08:20 PM Re: [SPOILERS] Nursery School - questions [Re: swedane]
HappyPlayer Offline
Guru

Loc: CA, USA
Actually, the general practice is that if there is a spoiler tag IN the subject line then everyone does NOT need to put their spoiler in a spoiler box. grin However, if the spoiler isn't directly related to the topic, then it is a nice courtesy to put it in a spoiler box. smile

Since the puzzle thread doesn't address CNM's questions, I see no reason why we shouldn't discuss it here. grin

Although I'm not entirely certain that more than one teacher will give the kids more skill (most likely not, since they tend to follow one teacher at a time), I usually have two teachers set up to teach. But I don't have them in there at the same time. Sometimes they both go there at the same, but this is the game's doing, not mine. So I try to have peeps with a lot of skill working the nursery, as well as, or including any experienced elderly. wink

The more skilled the teacher is, the more the kids' skills will increase. It doesn't raise anywhere near as fast as the 14+ year olds, but it does increase. So hang in there and watch and wait, and you'll see it. laugh

#218983 - 03/02/10 08:24 PM Re: [SPOILERS] Nursery School - questions [Re: HappyPlayer]
cnm Offline
Consigliere

Yes! Some of the youngsters have definitely increased their Research skill by attending the school. Seems I was just impatient. Folks, the Nursery School does really work. smile

#219166 - 03/04/10 02:30 AM Re: [SPOILERS] Nursery School - questions [Re: cnm]
twwantb2 Offline

I just finally built the Nursery School, and I was wondering if you'd noticed whether or not they teach while the game is off?

#219167 - 03/04/10 02:45 AM Re: [SPOILERS] Nursery School - questions [Re: twwantb2]
Jenny23 Offline
Master

Loc: NY
If you click on the various children while they are in school, it will tell you what subject they are studying.

#219178 - 03/04/10 04:40 AM Re: [SPOILERS] Nursery School - questions [Re: twwantb2]
gizmeg Offline

Loc: Inverness UK
Yes they do teach while the game is off. You see more progress with a scholar as a teacher and less, it seems, when they become "elderly". I have had plenty of apprentices by the age of 14 but unfortunately unlike previous VV games they don't seem to be able to start work on their own volition when they reach 14 even if they have trainee status. I have only had one villager that did and he liked "work" frown

#219204 - 03/04/10 02:04 PM Re: [SPOILERS] Nursery School - questions [Re: gizmeg]
arnie Offline
Master of Meditation

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
I have had plenty of apprentices by the age of 14 but unfortunately unlike previous VV games they don't seem to be able to start work on their own volition when they reach 14 even if they have trainee status. I have only had one villager that did and he liked "work"

I noticed the same thing; although a few did more did start work on their own than yours, I didn't notice if they liked work and I expect I would have. The great majority, though, needed to be dropped in the appropriate place for them to be kick-started - usually they'd succeed in the task first time and then carry on without supervision.

#219268 - 03/05/10 02:38 AM Re: [SPOILERS] Nursery School - questions [Re: arnie]
Amelia Offline
Expert

How do you get a teacher? I had one once, but am not sure what was so special about him--now, none of them seem to have enough skills to teach. What do they need?

#219271 - 03/05/10 03:10 AM Re: [SPOILERS] Nursery School - questions [Re: Amelia]
Jenny23 Offline
Master

Click to reveal..
They have to be adept in at least 3 skills to be a teacher. If you can get someone to be a scholar (master all skills) they are the best teachers.

#219300 - 03/05/10 11:50 AM Re: [SPOILERS] Nursery School - questions [Re: Jenny23]
swedane Offline
Master

Villagers are never too old to learn:

Click to reveal..
If the teacher is a SCHOLAR, the pregnant females will attend classes.

#219331 - 03/05/10 06:39 PM Re: [SPOILERS] Nursery School - questions [Re: swedane]
cnm Offline
Consigliere

It's the nursing baby that is attending the school, not the mother. And you don't need a Scholar for that.

Note also that the mom is not pregnant; the baby was born and added one to the population. Now it is nursing until age 2.

#219339 - 03/05/10 08:17 PM Re: [SPOILERS] Nursery School - questions [Re: cnm]
swedane Offline
Master

What a shame! Here I thought my precious 'nursing mothers' finally had a another purpose, other than nursing their young. I am sooooo SAD. cry

#219341 - 03/05/10 08:49 PM Re: [SPOILERS] Nursery School - questions [Re: swedane]
cnm Offline
Consigliere

You could see their purpose as carrying the baby to the school. smile Otherwise baby would have to wait until it could walk.

#219345 - 03/05/10 09:25 PM Re: [SPOILERS] Nursery School - questions [Re: cnm]
Amelia Offline
Expert

I have a teacher that will teach for a few minutes and then runs off and goes to farm or something. Can I make her stay, or do I have to keep bringing her back?

#219346 - 03/05/10 09:29 PM Re: [SPOILERS] Nursery School - questions [Re: Amelia]
cnm Offline
Consigliere

Have 4 or 5 teachers, they will take turns

#219367 - 03/06/10 12:07 AM Re: [SPOILERS] Nursery School - questions [Re: cnm]
horsecrazy123 Offline
Expert

Loc: None of your business, lol
I had the same thing happen to my nursing moms! I think it's cute that the moms take their kids to school, though I wish that the mothers could gain skills. Also I've noticed that some of my villagers are having babies at a very old age. One of them is 68 and nursing. Is this normal, or do the villagers in this game have better chances of having kids?

#219375 - 03/06/10 01:33 AM Re: [SPOILERS] Nursery School - questions [Re: horsecrazy123]
Jenny23 Offline
Master

No, it is not uncommon to see women bearing children beyond the normal age in this game. See the thread I started earlier today entitled "Oldest Mom".

#219469 - 03/06/10 07:18 PM Re: [SPOILERS] Nursery School - questions [Re: cnm]
Dinky Offline

Hmmmm.............. how do I get the option to build the nursery/school?? I would think a building would be there to be built, but I haven't had that happen. Or, do I need to have a teacher first? Thanks for all your info here, I am loving the game (as always).

#219472 - 03/06/10 07:23 PM Re: [SPOILERS] Nursery School - questions [Re: Dinky]
frogboy Offline
Expert

To be able to build the nursery, you must
Click to reveal..
fully research learning (level 3)

Then, there will be a building (that doesn't look like the huts) that your villagers can start work on.

#219473 - 03/06/10 07:24 PM Re: [SPOILERS] Nursery School - questions [Re: Dinky]
MissKathy Administrator Offline
Lead Tester

Loc: California (USA)
You need to
Click to reveal..
have a certain level of construction.

#219479 - 03/06/10 08:35 PM Re: [SPOILERS] Nursery School - questions [Re: Dinky]
arnie Offline
Master of Meditation

Don't forget that to get the trophy and make the nursery operational you must
Click to reveal..
put a villager in the nursery who is qualified to teach.

#221502 - 04/22/10 04:26 PM Re: [SPOILERS] Nursery School - questions [Re: MissKathy]
George T SLC Offline
Expert

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By: MissKathy
You need to have a certain level of construction.
I don't think so. The Official Guide (which is usually reliable) doesn't say so. But it's probably irrelevant, since the Nursery School is less urgent than
Click to reveal..
feeding the tribe,
which DOES require a certain level of Construction.

Also (and I wish someone would put the link in, because my Search hasn't found it again), people have wondered aloud what skills are gained and came to no conclusion. MY conclusion is that the kids probably gain on the skill where I've checked a box for them. Since in the first place I checked those boxes to match the minimal skill they'd inherited, it's possible that inheritance controls. I've just gone thru and given everybody a different check, so I'll let you know what I find out.

Unless somebody beats me to it, of course.

And one more amusing thing about nursery school teachers: Unlike other adults, they frequently run--admittedly for short distances--even if "running" isn't in their Likes. This is probably an absolute necessity for administering the school.

Edited by George T SLC (04/22/10 05:15 PM)

#221537 - 04/23/10 03:55 PM Re: [SPOILERS] Nursery School - questions [Re: George T SLC]
George T SLC Offline
Expert

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By: George T SLC (me)
MY conclusion is that the kids probably gain on the skill where I've checked a box for them.
That conclusion was false, and in fact inheritance controls.

Proof: We're educating triplet boys, and when they started school I checked Building (their highest skill) for one of them, Farming for another, and Research for a third. They have all gained identically, and the overwhelming bulk of those gains is in Building.

A perfect example of correlation not being causation: In other cases, I marked their highest skill, and they gained in their highest skill.

#224417 - 08/21/10 11:29 PM Re: [SPOILERS] Nursery School - questions [Re: George T SLC]
Candy_63 Offline
Expert

Loc: Germany
I don't know if anybody here writing the same - my search was without success.
Try this:
If you mastered your villagers can fish, build the hospital (healers are trained) and the nursery school - then put some villagers with various master skills or a scholar to the nursery school ... they will teach the children a short time but come back later ... If you don't play the game set the game speed on "SLOW". Your children will gain every skill when you return after some (8/10/15/) hours and are apprentice in one skill - it's amazing!

#224978 - 09/25/10 11:31 AM Re: [SPOILERS] Nursery School - questions [Re: Jenny23]
Pokemontrainer99 Offline
Expert

Loc: England
Does the thing they study have an impact on the skill they learn?

#225072 - 09/27/10 10:58 AM Re: [SPOILERS] Nursery School - questions [Re: Pokemontrainer99]
arnie Offline
Master of Meditation

It doesn't seem to. I think it's randomly chosen.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MissKathy, Rockmower 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter