Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
1 registered (Grumpy Mayor), 96 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Questions about the music
by lorsieab2
04/18/24 06:09 PM
News about updates for our older games on iOS
by Keegan
04/08/24 03:47 PM
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
gbbxox, Blaznbeauty, Police12, ahebidafu, SwedishKaito
30711 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30711 Members
76 Forums
19382 Topics
186933 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Page 8 of 13 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 12 13 >
Topic Options
#218392 - 02/27/10 03:32 AM Re: Thank You LDW!(Say Thanks & give us your first impressions) [Re: skipper45mn]
Jamie001 Offline
Adviser

So I have been advoiding the forums because I wanted to solve all the puzzles myself. And tonight I finished!!! Now for the trophies. Thanks LDW for a great game.

~Jamie

#218413 - 02/27/10 05:22 AM Re: Thank You LDW!(Say Thanks & give us your first impressions) [Re: Krystal]
esther1981 Offline
Master

Loc: Marion, Ohio
Originally Posted By: Krystal
Originally Posted By: esther1981
Originally Posted By: Krystal
This is all I will say: Have you read the readme file? wink

no i haven't! i installed and opened the game, not the readme file. how could i read it without having to re-install??
It's in the game folder. Same place you go to install mods, but stopping before you go to the image folder. smile

Found it! WOOHOO!!! Ty Krystal!!

#218415 - 02/27/10 05:38 AM Re: Thank You LDW!(Say Thanks & give us your first impressions) [Re: esther1981]
PinkNailPolish Offline
Trainee

Thanks for the Tree of Life! It's beautiful, and so much fun already! One of the things that's nice is the collectibles seem like they stay on the screen a fraction longer, it gives me more time to find one of the kids. I love my new villagers already. I know the tree will be so beautiful when it's healthy again.
~ group hug to celebrate ~
Thanks!

#218440 - 02/27/10 07:22 AM Re: Thank You LDW!(Say Thanks & give us your first impressions) [Re: Rockmower]
insight spinner Offline

I've gotta go against the grain and say I hate this game. WHY you ask? Because I already love it most of all the VV games and it is a really busy time for me and I am self employed. I think my family may starve while I make sure my little villagers eat!!

Seriously, my daughters and I are really excited about this version, we're working through the puzzles pretty well. They hog the game, so maybe I can cook a bit while they are enjoying it! We've only found a couple of glitches so far...tiny stuff. The game is really well prepared. I like the frequency of collectibles and mushrooms...makes those kids seem useful. I still wish nursing moms could cook or forage, or maybe even gather collectibles. And I wish the population were more diverse.

And the guide is fantastic (I had to make myself avoid the spoilers, though).

so thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU! Please send care packages for my hubby, he won't see a good cooked meal from me for a while!

#218479 - 02/27/10 11:53 AM Re: Thank You LDW!
JackiDance Offline
Trainee

Loc: Delaware, USA
three thumbs up on this one.

Well this is one of the best! I love them all (3 the least) this one is wonderful. It keeps you actively engaged while you have villagers building tech points.
There is nothing boring about it at all.
I absolutely LOVE the little map down in the right hand corner. It is just so user friendly and comes in handy for finding those pesky running kids when you need them.
There are plenty of mushrooms to keep all the kids fed while they grow up - gotta keep at least two kids actively engaged in hunting.
I thik spoilers should only be able to be posted via the private messages. None should be allowed on the open forum area. It just makes it too easy - and this one is easy enough.
It's total fun, beautiful to look at and has a really interesting theme, that super amazing tree.
I LOVE THIS ONE. The only complaint I have is that they are drawing a bit too much on the previous games. They should make the villagers prettier. I am tired of looking at monkeys! It has no reflection on the game. The game itself is just super

#218510 - 02/27/10 05:11 PM Re: Thank You LDW!(Say Thanks & give us your first impressions) [Re: karwin]
VLGRFN Offline
Trainee

Loc: Under the Banana Leaf
Originally Posted By: karwin
I love this series, but am a little disappointed b/c I expected so much MORE.I expected an awesome game because of the almost 6 month delay, but all we got is the same old vv as we have always had frown

I'm a little disappointed as well. Although the scenery is lush and beautifully created, it's as though this is simply an extension of the VV3 version - nothing really new except for a ghost. The puzzles aren't even that magnificent when complete. The wait time between the 7th puzzle and the 8th is at least a few days on "FAST" speed. I understand that some things should take longer to keep your interest, but that is a little ridiculous.

Also, some of the collectibles are extremely hard to see as they practically blend in with the background colors - and they come in "spurts" making it very boring and frustrating scanning the scenery until you're almost blind. And the story-line could have been better.

As for the moss-covered rocks, it seems that was just thrown in there haphazardly. What's the point if they aren't going to use it somehow to earn experience, or a huge food bonus? The food counts are off anyway - it takes too long to fill up your bins. All this to decorate a tree?

Edited by VLGRFN (02/27/10 06:05 PM)

#218530 - 02/27/10 06:22 PM Re: Thank You LDW!(Say Thanks & give us your first impressions) [Re: VLGRFN]
ILikeRunners Offline

Originally Posted By: VLGRFN
As for the moss-covered rocks, it seems that was just thrown in there haphazardly. What's the point if they aren't going to use it somehow to earn experience, or a huge food bonus?

You haven't finished the puzzles yet. The moss-covered rocks are part of the puzzles. That's all I'll say since this is a non spoiler thread.

Edited by ILikeRunners (02/27/10 06:23 PM)

#218547 - 02/27/10 09:15 PM Re: Thank You LDW!(Say Thanks & give us your first impressions) [Re: Rockmower]
lloydbug Offline
Adviser

Loc: Seattle, WA
First of all, I'd like to say thank you LDW!

I am a fan of the VV series and I am proud to support a small, independent company like LDW. I also like that the LDW games are centered around building, creating, and learning rather than destroying, overpowering, and killing like a lot of games these days are.

With that said, this latest installment of VV4 left me feeling both relieved and disappointed. I was relieved to see that many of the things that I liked about the previous VV games were still there but disappointed that very few things were truly new and some aspects of the game were even scaled back.

Yes, VV4 uses a new map and many of the villager's faces and clothes are different, so it is clear that a substantial amount of effort went into remaking the graphics and recoding the map. However, I am not convinced that focusing a large portion of the energy into this aspect of the game made this installment of VV significantly better than previous editions; VV4 fits in just fine with rest of the series, but it is not particularly innovative.

To be clear, I do not think that you should substantially change the gameplay of the game, because I think it is great as is. However, it would have been nice to see more buildings, activities, and behaviors added to the game.

There are a few additions to VV4 that I do like:
Click to reveal..

I like that the stream is there for builders to keep improving their abilities even after the huts have all been built.
The wind flutes look and sound amazing.
I like that the villagers can meditate.
I like that kids can actually learn in nursery school, although I am not sure that they can become jacks of all trades before age 14 as they could in VV3, which is something I really liked.
I like the firepit.
I like that kids race and have jumping contests.

There are a a few things that left me scratching my head:
Click to reveal..

A couple of the puzzles had illogical solutions or were not entirely intuitive. For instance, the moss covered rocks. Logically, I let the river dry up (because moss needs moisture to grow) and tried to have one of the villagers bring a sharp cutting tool over to uncover them. Nothing. The real solution involved using live crabs to remove the moss (?!?!?). The crabs magically disappear after they've been used to scrape off the moss. Where did they go? Are they dead now? Also, why are they suddenly so hard to catch in VV4? Villagers in VV3 used to scoop them up effortlessly from the ocean and now two kids are needed to distract them. This seems like a cop out to me... The feast puzzle pictograph also shows a crab, but no [censored] is required to complete it. The feast is also on a platter, so I assumed the fire pit would be used, but instead it involved a stew, which seemed misleading to me, and a mere rehashing of previous VV games. Also, the soap doesn't use ash at all, which could have easily been acquired in the game (real soap used to be made from animal fat and lye, which was acquired from ashes). The flowers used to make the lei also didn't look any different when they were in full bloom than when they were not. This puzzle didn't make logical sense to me. I was also hoping that when these flowers eventually were in full bloom that they could be used for stews and I was disappointed when they couldn't be. On a lighter note, I found it funny that ultimately the tree "just needed to get lei-ed" (pun intended).

In VV4 I was also disappointed that some of the things that I liked in VV3 were scaled back:
Click to reveal..

In VV4, the villagers need to make cloth before they can use it. In all previous versions this was magically taken care of, so this feels like a step back to me rather than an addition. There are now only three herbs, so the number of possible stews that can be made is smaller. There is also nothing particularly new or interesting about the science lab or hospital.

As things stand, I think the VV games are great.
I have personally experienced the painful process of coding and debugging (on a smaller scale), so I fully empathize with that process. I also understand that sometimes life gets in the way of work and those kinds of experiences are truly blessings - so, congratulations on your new baby boy.

I do disagree with rockmower that one hour is enough to know whether you will like the game or not. It is enough time to know whether you like the gameplay of the game or not, but to appreciate the buildings in the game and functions the villagers can perform, one needs to complete the puzzles which takes far longer than one hour. For the record, I purchased the game directly from LDW, and I have no regrets about that...

The purpose of this post isn't to put down the creators of the game. I completely understand the tremendous effort that went into making VV4. Rather, please treat this as a request to make VV5 EVEN better than the current games already are and to keep incorporating new things. I AM complaining - not for the sake of complaining - but to help LDW understand where they can make improvements to the games so that they can be truly extraordinary. If I didn't care about the VV series, I wouldn't post anything at all.

When VV3 came out, the graphics improvement over VV2 really impressed me and a liked a lot of additions like rain, rain dances, the sun room, the look of bath, the fruit tree, and behavior of the villagers. So for VV5, take more time if you need to, but add more new things that make players think, "WOW, that is so cool!"

In the next installment, please, please, please keep the VV3 and VV4 maps, but link them together and instead spend energy on adding activities, buildings, and capabilities to the two maps, rather then reinventing the wheel. I'll add detailed suggestions for VV5 in that particular thread.

Again, thank you so much for the effort you put into VV4, and know that some people appreciate VV4 for what it is, but also have high hopes for VV5 can become.

#218562 - 02/27/10 09:53 PM Re: Thank You LDW!(Say Thanks & give us your first impressions) [Re: lloydbug]
AReyeP Offline

Thoroughly enjoying the game so far but playing it as a casual gamer - playing it in 20 minute bursts so to say - it'll last longer that way too smile My wife is way ahead of me in the game so far smile

It's good to see some people trying to offer constructive criticism rather than just gushing about the game - this is the type of thing that helps a developer make improvements to the next installment after all.

My wife loves the VV series. She's still playing the first three of them, and still has her original tribe in VV3 going strong. She's thoroughly enjoying VV4 so far but feels the advance it's made over VV3 is not as much as she'd expected. But hey, if it ain't broke don't fix it ... change a winning formula too much and one risks ruining what draws its audience in, and I can see LDW have wisely been careful not to tamper too much with this delicate balance.

Myself personally, well I love exploring ... I don't know what the limits of the game engine are, but my wish list for VV5? I'd love to have an island 10 times this size to wander over and explore smile Perhaps chunks of the island could be hidden and revealed only afterwards as certain puzzles are solved.

#218587 - 02/28/10 01:11 AM Re: Thank You LDW!(Say Thanks & give us your first impressions) [Re: AReyeP]
ILikeRunners Offline

Things I like....

• Choosing villagers
  • Moving construction sites around before building begins
  • The Mausoleum instead of graveyard (brilliant!)
  • Collectibles decorating the village
  • The buildings seem to get built faster

On the other hand, a lot of it seems like stuff we've done before, like:
Click to reveal..

• Clearing a stream blockage
  • Making stew
  • Building a clothing hut and hospital

But I'm not done yet, so I guess there are enough new things that I like and things I haven't seen yet that I might like.

Overall, good job.

Edited by ILikeRunners (02/28/10 01:12 AM)

Page 8 of 13 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 12 13 >

Moderator:  MissKathy, Rockmower 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter