Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Questions about the music
by lorsieab2
04/18/24 06:09 PM
News about updates for our older games on iOS
by Keegan
04/08/24 03:47 PM
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
Blaznbeauty, Police12, ahebidafu, SwedishKaito, ewicos
30710 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30710 Members
76 Forums
19381 Topics
186931 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#228915 - 02/20/11 09:02 AM Re: religious diversity [Re: Cyborg]
smjjames Offline
Expert

@Mysteryshrimp (even though that post is months old): If anything, VV4 has a slight druidic theme and maybe a little Bhuddist, while there is definetly a spiritual element in VV4, it is in no way religious.

It would be more easily seen as taking care of the Earth, with the sickly life tree being the polluted Earth.

Still, I think they went a little heavy handed on the heathens, somehow.

#230110 - 07/30/11 06:06 PM Re: religious diversity [Re: smjjames]
Upinde wa Mvua Offline

I've played all of the games from the third onward, and I've seen (almost) nothing that reminds my of actual religion; in VV4, there's even an event celebrating the "Guiding Hand".

The only thing that I have ever found offensive in the games is the heathens' mediocre actions, such as munching on dirt, and how, when attempting to convert blue masked heathens, it says that your villager is explaining "the truth" to the heathen.

As I believe many others on this thread have stated, Last Day of Work has done a great job in keeping religions practiced in real life.

Edited by Upinde Wa Mvua (07/30/11 06:07 PM)
Edit Reason: corrected a slight grammatical error.

#230142 - 08/03/11 02:24 PM Re: religious diversity [Re: Upinde wa Mvua]
IzzyJ5 Offline
Adviser

The Guiding Hand is really us, that's who the villagers are honoring in VV5. They do the same thing in Lost Children and Tree of Life. I guess the true Guiding Hand are the creative people at LDW. But it's supposed to be us, the players. smile

#230146 - 08/04/11 03:12 AM Re: religious diversity [Re: IzzyJ5]
chocolatechip Offline
Consigliere

Loc: Being chased by angry igaunas
I've never been irritated by anything in the whole series of Virtual Villagers ( except by the G.C., of course wink )
and I hate fighting so I hope this is over with soon. I really hope I don't offend anyone.

If they did include religious diversity, they would have to make a totally different game. There wouldn't even be a guiding hand. Also, if you just include the major religions, the smaller religions will be angry and insulted. People who aren't apart of any denomination would also be offended.

It would take years of coding to just include one or two religions. LDW is a small buissness, so it may even take longer depending on their current size.

I'm a Christian also, but I find I'm not bothered by them doing anything slightly religious. I know many different and diverse people that are Jewish, Muslim, Catholic, and people with no religious beliefs. If you met a someone with different religious beliefs, would you immediatly demand they convert and ignore them if they refuse?

I agree with Krystal. You should just let them have their own traditions and beliefs. Let's all just leave it that way.

Avvi by AR

#230416 - 11/28/11 09:32 AM Re: religious diversity [Re: chocolatechip]
Magesteff Offline
Expert

Loc: Western Pennsylvania
I am christian. I am not offended by the way LDW deals with religion. I am not part of the "we all" who are offended.

Just like in other entertainments, some of which have fantasy or real belief systems portrayed in them, individuals are free to decide to pay the money to see the entertainment or to not see it. Same with games. individuals are free to choose to play them or not play them, to buy or not buy them.

The cost of LDW games have been about as much as going to a movie and getting a soda and some popcorn. Just as there are many companies making movies some of which may be more acceptable to your values, there are other companies making games that may be more suitable to your values.

Considering the number of games which contain mainly voilence in some for or another - LDW games are less voilent and more problem solving. Personally, I'd rather see kids playing a non violent game than one that requires violence to complete it.

I'm hoping the next game for PC comes out soon.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  MissKathy, Rockmower 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter