Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 141 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Questions about the music
by lorsieab2
04/18/24 06:09 PM
News about updates for our older games on iOS
by Keegan
04/08/24 03:47 PM
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
Blaznbeauty, Police12, ahebidafu, SwedishKaito, ewicos
30710 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30710 Members
76 Forums
19381 Topics
186931 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#224618 - 08/31/10 06:04 PM Re: religious diversity [Re: cmastro]
Girl4God Offline

Loc: Gilligan's Island
cmastro,

Wasn't offensive in the least, cmastro. You had a right to ask a question. Let me see if I can answer it.
As Christians, it is actually our duty to have everything we do reflect God. That does not mean others cannot have their own beliefs; we are simply attempting to honor our Father in heaven, like He wishes everyone to. So if blessed finds the Virtual Villagers games uncomfortable for her to play because of the villagers worshipping idols and practicing magic, even though you and I don't have a problem with it, remember there are different ways for us Christians to honor God and I believe this is hers. (Correct me if I'm wrong, blessed.)
So that's it, cmastro. I respect your feelings on this matter and I didn't take offense.
Be seeing ya,
Girl4God

P.S. Good luck with the astronaut training! That is so cool.

#224633 - 08/31/10 11:57 PM Re: religious diversity [Re: Girl4God]
cmastro Offline

Loc: Christchurch, New Zealand
I'm glad, (and thanks). I understand where you are coming from.
How christians *want* to embrace 'God' in all aspects of their life.
I guess I had trouble understanding her mindset when confronted with a fictional game, in which, human belief systems have not entered.
It really shows the world, where each little place can have totally separate religions, each with the passion to believe theirs is the best.
Its not like you can go to India or somewhere and demand that they all turn to christianity while you visit there hahahahaha.

P.S Thanks laugh

Glee, by it's very definition, is about opening yourself up to happiness.

#225237 - 10/11/10 10:11 AM Re: religious diversity [Re: blessed]
Midii Offline
Adviser

Loc: Isola
I think it's a good idea but consider this: if you were part of a more minor religious group and LDW only put the major religions in, then the others may feel that they are being unfair (making it seem as if one group is more important than the other)
Perhaps you should try a different LDW game. Virtual Families doesn't have religion of any sort in it.

#225554 - 11/06/10 02:37 PM Re: religious diversity [Re: Midii]
123isolagirl Offline
Consigliere

Loc: *looks up* Huh? Where am I?
I don't mean to be offensive (PM me if you are mad about what I wrote so I can apologize) but this is my opinion:

1. If you don't like the game, don't play it. No one is forcing you to play.
2. If you like the pictures and music and game play but don't like the religious content, you can request a mod on one of the Game Forums. Some of the other users know how to make mods.
3. An alternative suggestion is using your imagination and pretending that the temple and idol was built for the god that you believe in.
4. OR just accept the game as it is and play it.

123isolagirl

P.S. I have a religion too. But I enjoy VV as much as the other VV fans. smile

#225588 - 11/07/10 04:20 PM Re: religious diversity [Re: 123isolagirl]
gardeningdeb Offline

Wow! Funny, I was just telling my dad how games are becoming more and more religious, and how this one new game's entire goal (to remain nameless) is to rebuild a temple with a bunch of pagan idols and have your people worship it. I was pleased to see someone else note that in this forum. However, I never expected what occurred in response. My religion? Irrelevant. My opinion on what has already been said? Also irrelevant. In fact, blessed said a few things, was almost attacked, and then lectured repeatedly. The lectures, in fact, looked cut and paste, and I don't blame her for saying "That's pretty much what I said, only in many, many more words." and then not visiting the forum again. Possible solution (I won't mention what has already been said, that has already been done repeatedly)? You could very easily leave religion out by making the entire puzzle to build a butterfly atrium, a rock garden, or discover some ancient village's use for toilet seats. Ridiculous? To some perhaps. But what will be remembered 20 years from now, another remake of King's Quest, Space Quest, or a breeding simulation with little variance? I plan on buying the VV5 btw.

#225603 - 11/08/10 07:22 PM Re: religious diversity [Re: gardeningdeb]
arnie Offline
Master of Meditation

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
how this one new game's entire goal (to remain nameless) is to rebuild a temple with a bunch of pagan idols and have your people worship it.

I assume you refer to VV1 here, as the others don't have a temple. That is not the game's "entire purpose". In fact rebuilding the temple is the 11th out of the 16 puzzles in the game.

#225656 - 11/11/10 01:04 PM Re: religious diversity [Re: arnie]
Rockmower Moderator Offline
Master Poet

Loc: The Beautiful Ozarks
Here is a quote, from Arthur himself, on the subject of religion in the game(s). It can be found in this thread.
Originally Posted By: Arthur

We wanted to include spirituality in the game as a general concept, and without a specific orientation so that nobody would feel excluded due to their own religious beliefs. I hope we've done at least a decent job of this...nevertheless the feedback is VERY welcome and definitely affects what we put into our games here.

Avvie by Airstream Raider
Where have all the Fan Fiction Fans gone?
(I miss Laurence cry)
I miss my wife cry

#225668 - 11/11/10 10:18 PM Re: religious diversity [Re: Rockmower]
skipper45mn Offline
Expert

Loc: minnesota
My beliefs are my own as everyone's should be. But to me these forums were meant as a place to get technical help, game help from other gamers and the developers, for game stories and art. make suggestions for future games etc. While all of us are entitled to our own beliefs and opinions it does not necessarily mean we have to air them. I respect the beliefs and opinions of all who have posted in this thread but I think the time has come to end it, lock it or whatever as there is nothing I or anyone else can say one way or another that hasn't been said by some one else already.

I will however voice an opinion which is....This is only a game not real life.....It is meant to be fun and entertaining and while it runs in real time it is not meant to emulate real life.....

At least that is my take on it.

#225777 - 11/19/10 08:04 AM Re: religious diversity [Re: Rockmower]
mysteryshrimp Offline
Trainee

Originally Posted By: Rockmower
I happen to be a Christian and an ordained minister. I know at least one member who is a Messianic Jew, and another who is an Orthodox Jew. I know a couple of members who are of the Muslim faith and am pretty sure that one other is likely Hindu.

I feel LDW has done an admirable job of keeping religion OUT of the games. I have no more problem reconstructing the statue and ruins in VV1 than I do reading articles related to the Moi on Easter Island or of Stonehenge. The same goes for the puzzles and challenges in the other games.

You can add Atheist/Buddhist to that list. I do not believe in a God, but I do believe that there should be some sort of code that I should try to live up to. I choose the basic tenants of Buddhism, although I wouldn't presume to tell you which code you should follow. I could have just as easily chosen The Bushido, or The Five Rings, or Plato's Republic.

Atheists tend to be as offended as any religious group with the insertion of religion where it shouldn't really belong, such as the opening of the sessions of Congress (USA), or secular games like this series. I don't like taking part in public prayers, for example, any more than I would like being referred to a shaman for my toothache. If I felt as though this game was trying to force me into a religion, even a made-up one, I wouldn't play it.

I have never had any problem with either statue, rain dancing, any temple or similar structure, the Golden Child, or the ghost story in VV3. I don't consider it a religion per se, more of a culture or a fantasy, no different than Neil Gaiman's novels. I've barely scratched the surface in VV4, but I'd be shocked if I was offended by any pagan overtones.

My thought is that if you do not enjoy a game, do not play it. Any reason will do, be it boring game play, graphics, overall experience, lack of challenge, or any other reason that you could come up with. If you do enjoy the game, play it. It should be that simple.

#228914 - 02/20/11 07:18 AM Re: religious diversity [Re: mysteryshrimp]
Cyborg Offline
Expert

Loc: Celestia
I don't see it as a religion but trying to get the heatens to believe in the player. Think about it are you god? No you are just a human. The villagers are trying to get the heathens to believe in someone who will care for them and who will love them and thats the player. I do love them they are like real family to me.

Edited by Cyborg (02/20/11 09:36 AM)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MissKathy, Rockmower 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter