Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 142 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Questions about the music
by lorsieab2
04/18/24 06:09 PM
News about updates for our older games on iOS
by Keegan
04/08/24 03:47 PM
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
Blaznbeauty, Police12, ahebidafu, SwedishKaito, ewicos
30710 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30710 Members
76 Forums
19381 Topics
186931 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#211864 - 10/22/09 12:15 AM Re: religious diversity [Re: QuickStorm]
Airstream Raider Offline

Loc: blululup. Im not telling you!
i agree with Rockmower....

LDW does a really good job at keeping religion out of the forums and out of the games....

i think things are better that way because we dont have religious disputes and such. Also having religion means that there will be thousands of more threads asking for help... the forums doesnt have that kind of room on its database, and it would also take a lot more from our moderators and admins to go through each thread for each religion. that would be even more of a pain.

And like Krystal said... There are lines of coding that make up these pictures you see. it would take EONS to get each kinda religion into the game, especially since its already been made.

You can always use your imagination and pretend its the way you want it to be, and then mod it to fit your religious preference... But the games are already made, and theres no going back and changing them... Sorry if this sounds harsh... But no one is forcing you to play or buy the games, therefore you dont HAVE to play them... So simply put, if you dont like it, dont play the games...

tgff (ThankGoodnessForFrosting)

#211873 - 10/22/09 04:35 PM Re: religious diversity [Re: blessed]
arnie Offline
Master of Meditation

Loc: London, UK
blessed,

Please think practically here. To build into the games different religions would mean a whole series of different versions. How many religions should be represented? If someone said that they followed the Jedi religion, would that be enough reason for LDW to build a game simply for them? What about adherents of Wicca (witches)?

To develop lots of versions would be more expensive for LDW, meaning that the price would be higher.

I also have to take issue with your mention of black magic in VV2. There is the magic gong, yes, but how do you know if it is black or white magic?

#224514 - 08/26/10 03:11 PM Re: religious diversity [Re: arnie]
Kikiann11 Offline
Expert

Loc: NJ
This is my own opinion, and I do not mean to offend anybody in any way. Please PM me if I offend you so I can apologize.

Dear blessed,
I feel that the Virtual Villagers games are only games! They are set in a ficticious island. LDW has tried not to offend anybody with their approach to religon, and they have done an admirable job.
Also, how is the statue offensive? From the time of the Byzantine Empire, Eastern Christians have been praying to portraits of saints, called icons, which can be compared to the idol. Also, these fictitious villagers have their own culture and beliefs, which are completley fictional.
This is similar to those who challenge the Harry Potter books because of alleged themes of witchcraft. This view is completely off, as the Harry Potter series promotes themes of love and frienship. The Virtual Villagers series are fun, harmless games that can be enjoyed by everybody.
Finally, I feel that if you cannot accept the supposed "paganisim" in these games, how can you accept beliefs and opinions other than your own in the real world? If a computer game does not completely uphold your religous values, I feel very strongly that you need to look at your view at the world, and be more accepting of the differences that define the human race.

Note: I am a Catholic, and feel no religous or ethical issues with playing the Virtual Villagers games.

~Kikiann11

#224518 - 08/26/10 10:23 PM Re: religious diversity [Re: Kikiann11]
cmastro Offline

Loc: Christchurch, New Zealand
Kikiann11 is 'right on the money'!
However I can't help but wonder to 'blessed': WHY do you need to have your religion painted over every single little thing you do? Just because A GAME does not promote a certain religion, it is no reason to not play it - or even attempt to change it so it does. By your reasoning, (and I'm not being offensive here - only logical) would you not eat a piece of toast if it did not have a crucifix on it? Would you not wear clothes without first checking thread by thread for any sign of a buddha symbol or anything like that?
Diversity is what makes the Earth what it is. (I for one am a scientist studying to become an Astronaut - where religion plays NO part in my life - and I get on perfectly)
If we did not have multiple views and belief systems, it may lead to a far more boring way of life.
Regardless, these (utterly impeccable) games are simply showing the life and times of *fictional* villagers; how they think, their past, present, and future, and their belief system. I for one barely registered the belief system idol, it just seemed normal that they had something to believe in - and, with a magical island (obviously not real.............? ; ) ) why would you think it would have the religious views you hold? Or anyone holds?
We accept your views, why not try accepting theirs.

Glee, by it's very definition, is about opening yourself up to happiness.

#224549 - 08/28/10 04:18 PM Re: religious diversity [Re: cmastro]
The Chief Offline
Adviser

Loc: VA
I think LDW made it that way because they might have wanted a typical island land. I feel if I look at an island like that it would probably seem like a idol like religion. It's based on villagers that are not as technacally advanced as we are. LDW is a game company that welcomes anyone to play their games. So, in that matter, it's to much to do what you're saying. And since we have diversity in our players, they can't please everyone. Mods are the best thing to do to fix that.

#224568 - 08/29/10 06:29 AM Re: religious diversity [Re: The Chief]
angelswings8 Offline
Trainee

Loc: New York
I mean no offense to anyone in what i am about to say its just my opinion
dear: Blessed
one of the key points of human nature is to question everything but one of the down falls of human nature is to question nothing if your confuse about this saying its simple if no one had question religion i would live in the dark ages now were i wouldn't have a choice of religion or faith it would be chosen for me by those who think they know whats best for me instead of the age were in i can look at other religions and chose for my self whats best for me. play the games hour free trial without looking at it religously, if you like it because of the game play, music,or any of its other great qualitys fine but if not delete it and leave it alone its that simple.

#224596 - 08/30/10 04:01 PM Re: religious diversity [Re: angelswings8]
Girl4God Offline

Loc: Gilligan's Island
Dear Blessed,

I know where you're coming from. It bothered me at first, too. Key word: Imagination!
We Christians could pretend that God is the source of the supernatural happenings on Isola. Call it 'miracles' instead of 'magic'. After all, what is that great tree called in VV4? The Tree of Life! Maybe Isola is like a less perfect version of the Garden of Eden.
The idol in VV1? Who is to say the villagers don't like sculptures? You aren't required to make them worship it, are you? As for the temple, well, it's a place of worship, so pretend it was built to honor Jesus Christ.
Anyway, that's my take.
God be with ya,
Girl4God

#224598 - 08/30/10 09:24 PM Re: religious diversity [Re: Girl4God]
cmastro Offline

Girl4God & blessed,
I still don't understand why you insist on making everything you do about Christianity. Can't you just leave the villagers to their own religion and respect that theirs differ from yours?

#224602 - 08/31/10 12:19 AM Re: religious diversity [Re: cmastro]
Rockmower Moderator Offline
Master Poet

Loc: The Beautiful Ozarks
Please remember not to get personal in these discussions. This thread is allowed to remain, because it addresses an issue over which some members are concerned.

Remember that while we do allow open discussion of these topics, we do not allow dissension or quarreling.

Please keep your replies polite, and respectful of the opinions and concerns of your fellow forum members.

Avvie by Airstream Raider
Where have all the Fan Fiction Fans gone?
(I miss Laurence cry)
I miss my wife cry

#224603 - 08/31/10 01:42 AM Re: religious diversity [Re: Rockmower]
cmastro Offline

My apologies for a seemingly offensive post, my question was just that. A question.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MissKathy, Rockmower 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter