This was originally meant to be my contribution to Rockmower's challenge, but it's far too long and I like it too much to make it shorter.

--- --- --- --- --- ---

“Good morning, plants!” called Sasha as she unlocked the door of her greenhouse and stepped inside. She took in a deep breath, savoring the heavy, damp smell of the soil and growing things. She hung her bag on the hook by the door, clicking on the overhead light as well, and walked over to the table that held four plants that hadn’t sold the day before.
“Good morning, my beauties,” she said to them. “Maybe today you’ll have better luck at finding a home. Now, let’s see, any dead leaves?” She quickly and carefully looked through the leaves and branches of the plants for any imperfections that could detract from the overall appearance.
“You all look good this morning.” Sasha chuckled to herself. She knew that most people would call her insane for talking to the plants, but she felt that they grew faster and healthier if they knew they were cared about. And it wasn’t as though there were any other people wandering about the greenhouse at seven in the morning. No, most people waited until late afternoon before coming to her shop, if they came at all.
“Now,” she said, addressing the plants again. “How about a drink for you all?” She quickly fetched her small watering can, and gently poured water over the leaves and roots of the plants. After making sure she had enough water and potting soil, Sasha looked over at the pile of empty pots in the corner. She selected one and carried it back with her. Setting it on the table, she picked up the bag of soil and filled the pot with just the right amount of soil; a measurement she had perfected over the time she had been a gardener. She leveled off the soil with her hand and then turned to her seed tray.
She ran one finger along the top row of seeds, her finger bumping against the edges of the compartments as she did so. “Fern? Maybe… Maple?” She glanced at the two maples that were on the unsold table. “Maybe not.” She turned her attention back to the seed tray. “Bamboo… Orchid? …Le—wait.”
Sasha looked closer at the seed in the tray. This was nothing like the others, and she had never seen anything like it in all her years of gardening. It was larger than most, almost an inch long, and toned with muted colors. She picked it up and carefully planted it in the ready and waiting pot. She poured enough water on it to wet the soil and set it aside.
Twenty minutes later, when she finished the other empty pots, she found that the seed had already sprouted and was several inches tall, even though she had not used Insta-grow on it. A little unnerved, she tried her best to ignore it and continued with her work.
An hour passed before she looked at it again. To her shock, it was fully mature, with a blossom that hadn’t yet opened.
“How did you grow so fast?” she whispered.
“I’m special.”
Sasha’s eyes widened, and she unconsciously took a step back. “Did… did you just…?”
“Speak? Of course. All plants can speak, or didn’t you know that?” If she didn’t know better, Sasha would have sworn that the plant had a smug note to its voice.
Sasha shook her head. “That’s it, Sasha, you’ve officially lost it.”
“Oh heavens, no. I really am talking. And the others can talk, too. You just haven’t been listening.”
Instantly forgetting her concerns over her sanity, Sasha retorted indignantly “What are you talking about? I listen to my plants all the time!”
“Not with your heart, you don’t.”
“What?”
“To hear us, you need to listen with your heart, not your head. The only reason you can hear me is because I’m different. You didn’t recognize the seed I grew from, so your heart was focused on me, whether you knew it or not.”
Sasha stepped closer to the plant and looked at it closely. It was unlike anything she had ever seen. It had fronds like a fern, but they came off a trunk similar to one of the miniature rare oaks she sold, only slimmer. Near the top, several small buds could be seen, but only the one was anywhere close to opening.
“What are you?”
“A plant.”
Sasha glared. “I know that. I meant what kind.”
“My name is rather long, but you seem intelligent enough to understand it. I am called a Tensus Arkona Fersoceae.”
Sasha blinked at the plant. After a moment’s thought, she spoke. “But those letters can also be—”
“Yes, I know. I thought you were smart enough to get it. Good job. Here, your reward.”
Suddenly the blossom opened. It looked somewhat like a lily, but also like a rose. It was beautiful. The closest description of the color Sasha could come up with was sunset colors, but even that didn’t do it justice. It was full of colors she had never seen before. She had a feeling that those colors didn’t exist anywhere else.
“It’s gorgeous,” Sasha breathed. “Where do you come from?” she asked the plant. To her surprise, there was no answer. Concerned, she looked closer at the plant, only to find that it had withered, leaving only that one perfect blossom intact. Very gently, Sasha picked the blossom and looked at it closely. It was incredibly light, and was softer than anything she had ever touched. Looking back at the plant, she saw something new. From the spot where she had taken the flower, another of those miraculous seeds lay. Sasha picked it up and took it with her as she went to place the flower on her desk, where she did the bookkeeping.
Setting the flower down, she found that there was glitter stuck to her fingers, obviously from the flower. She shook her head in wonder and looked down at the seed in her palm. She knew she wouldn’t be giving that seed up any time soon.
“Thank you,” she said aloud, closing her hand and gazing out the window.

THE END

//Krystal will take your applause and compliments HERE.//

Edited by Rockmower (09/08/09 05:01 PM)
Edit Reason: Insert link