Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 126 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Questions about the music
by lorsieab2
04/18/24 06:09 PM
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
gbbxox, Blaznbeauty, Police12, ahebidafu, SwedishKaito
30711 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30711 Members
76 Forums
19382 Topics
186933 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#207645 - 08/14/09 05:07 PM Game keeps closing down
Annthewhofan Offline
Fan Fiction Enthusiast

Loc: Northwest, England
Every time I go to new generation and I touch try again I get as far to the third one and as I touch try again. the game just closes down on me, Then I decided to touch on the third one and closed down again. So I can't start my third generation as it won't let me. mad cry I have kept trying now several times. Then I decided to update on my itunes apps and that did not help. It also happens in one of my other game also. So what have I done wrong?

#207646 - 08/14/09 05:20 PM Re: Game keeps closing down [Re: Annthewhofan]
LadyCFII Administrator Offline
Unicorn

Loc: Colorado
Your device is probably running low on application memory (which is not the same memory that you use for songs and pictures, etc.). The way to free up application memory is to follow the procedures in this answer in our Support FAQ.

#207647 - 08/14/09 06:20 PM Re: Game keeps closing down [Re: LadyCFII]
Annthewhofan Offline
Fan Fiction Enthusiast

Loc: Northwest, England
Thank you so that info proved great all my virtual games are working fine now LadyCFII I thought I lost my games for ever. I know what to do if that happens again. smile

#207651 - 08/14/09 07:11 PM Re: Game keeps closing down [Re: Annthewhofan]
Unicorn

I'm very glad that you are able to play your games again, Ann! smile

#209619 - 09/08/09 03:42 AM Re: Game keeps closing down
Lisa0687 Offline

Everytime I try to play this app I just bought it's crashes right after the previews! I can't play

I've tried both shuting down and restarting nothing works. It's the only app that does this

#212696 - 11/22/09 06:14 AM Re: Game keeps closing down [Re: Lisa0687]
djenvz Offline
Trainee

Intermittently the same thing that happens to Lisa0687 happens to me too. I've shut down and restarted my phone whenever I've had this situation on my iphone with the lite version I'm playing with: after a couple of days of playing with Virtual Families with no incident, maybe the 3rd or 4th time I try to go into the game the game closes after the opening sequence. I shut down and restart my phone and the game works fine again. It just seems weird I have to do this every few days. I've never had this happen when I played with fish tycoon lite. All other apps seem to be working fine too during these 'crashes'. Any other work around besides shutting down and restarting? I've already tried the delete and re-install using itunes thing once before too. I'm already on my 8th or 9th generation.

#212700 - 11/22/09 02:03 PM Re: Game keeps closing down [Re: djenvz]
Unicorn

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, application crashes are usually caused when application memory gets low enough that iPhone OS shuts down the running application to recover memory. Everything that is running on the device, including all operating system functions, must fit into application memory. Applications that are most prone to crashing are larger applications that push the limits of available memory. Virtual Families is much larger than Fish Tycoon and, depending upon what else is running on the device in the background, Virtual Families may be terminated by the OS due to low memory conditions, whereas Fish Tycoon will not be.

Application memory is not the same memory as the flash memory where applications, music, videos, etc. are stored (the 8 GB, 16 GB, 32 GB, etc. that you see displayed in Settings or iTunes). The only way to see how much application memory is available is to use a system monitoring application that provides such information about the device's status. 3rd generation iPhones (3GS) and iPod touch (released in September 2009) have 256 MB of application memory and have far fewer crashes than older devices. All previous generations have 128 MB of application memory.

#212705 - 11/22/09 06:05 PM Re: Game keeps closing down [Re: LadyCFII]
MissKathy Administrator Offline
Lead Tester

Loc: California (USA)
Very nice explanation of application memory LadyCFII. Thank you for helping me to learn something new today (I don't have an iPhone or an iPod). smile

#212710 - 11/23/09 02:51 AM Re: Game keeps closing down [Re: MissKathy]
djenvz Offline
Trainee

Well thanks LadyCFII - I guess that is all I have to keep doing if I want to keep playing this game. Was hoping some other work around was found for this.

#212802 - 11/26/09 04:45 AM Re: Game keeps closing down [Re: djenvz]
slh Offline
Adviser

I was on my way to report a similar problem. Thanks so much for the explanation and the steps to solve it. My VF and VV2 both closed after the loading screen - now they're up and running again.

I wish I'd read this thread before I tried the uninstall/reinstall method (which didn't work) - now I've got to start over. Oh well, worse things have happened smile

I'd like to know - is the memory that's advertised with the device (8GB, 16GB, etc) any indication of how much application memory is available? I mean, is it likely that a 16GB device will have more application memory than an 8GB device?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MissKathy, Rockmower 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter