Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Questions about the music
by lorsieab2
04/18/24 06:09 PM
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
gbbxox, Blaznbeauty, Police12, ahebidafu, SwedishKaito
30711 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30711 Members
76 Forums
19382 Topics
186933 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#20621 - 05/01/06 05:45 PM Re: Just Saying Hello..
Rainbowfish Offline
Consigliere

Loc: Central Valley, CA
Quote:

Freshwater...what's that? For drinking, right?

Nope. For big fat shoals of freshwater fish. I'd especially love to see twenty or so Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish swimming about.

#20622 - 05/01/06 05:47 PM Re: Just Saying Hello..
Rainbowfish Offline
Consigliere

Quote:

LOL! I do love salt water tanks but, I'm not sure I have the time for one at this point! After the bird arrives I'll see how much time the critters give me to do other things!

I see. I've heard that birds demand a lot of attention! Like 24/7.

I think my cats and the wild birds are demanding enough.

#20623 - 05/02/06 06:36 AM Re: Just Saying Hello..
whatevva Offline
Trainee

Loc: Massachusetts
Having a coral tank is like having a house full of pets. Every one of them has a personality, and you have to pay attention, and notice if they're not happy. It's very rare for EVERYONE to be happy at the same time, but that's due to the diversity that I've chosen to keep. Here's a picture of my new mushrooms

#20624 - 05/02/06 04:55 PM Re: Just Saying Hello..
Rainbowfish Offline
Consigliere

awesome pix of the mushroom corals.

And yes, the plants are the same way. I have both slow growers and fast growers and it is kind of difficult to keep them both happy.

#20625 - 05/04/06 03:17 AM Re: Just Saying Hello..
toomanyfish Offline
Expert

I can't believe coral has a personality... Here's some dumb questions for you. Is coral animal?? I always thought it was like a plant. If it is considered animal, is it a simple animal like jellyfish and the like?

Windows 2000/Pentium 4/1500 MHz/785MB RAM/DirectX 9.0c/256MB VRAM
PowerBook G4/1.5GHz/OSX 10.3.9/512MB RAM/64MB VRAM

#20626 - 05/04/06 04:10 AM Re: Just Saying Hello..
Rainbowfish Offline
Consigliere

Coral is an animal, yes. Some coral eat zooplankton, others live off the algae in their cells. Some coral are stationary - they don't move. Others move, but very slowly, compared to, say, piranha. Many corals will throw out 'stingers', like jellyfish, to harm other corals coming too close to their 'space'. Other corals have defenses to keep fish from eating them - poisonous tentacles, for one. You've heard of the sea anemone? Stings everybody except clownfish - and that's only because the clownfish has a protective coating against the stinging cells. Clown gets a nice home and the anemone gets food from the clown.

As for its status as an animal in the overall order, I don't know. It's definitely more like a jellyfish than a salmon, but that's about as much as I know.

#20627 - 05/04/06 07:38 AM Re: Just Saying Hello..
whatevva Offline
Trainee

Quote:

Coral is an animal, yes. Some coral eat zooplankton, others live off the algae in their cells. Some coral are stationary - they don't move. Others move, but very slowly, compared to, say, piranha. Many corals will throw out 'stingers', like jellyfish, to harm other corals coming too close to their 'space'. Other corals have defenses to keep fish from eating them - poisonous tentacles, for one. You've heard of the sea anemone? Stings everybody except clownfish - and that's only because the clownfish has a protective coating against the stinging cells. Clown gets a nice home and the anemone gets food from the clown.

As for its status as an animal in the overall order, I don't know. It's definitely more like a jellyfish than a salmon, but that's about as much as I know.

Very good answer!! I know that they don't have a central nervous system, so they don't have the concept of pain, but they are animal. Most of the corals will also eat meaty foods. ie Mysis Shrimp,Brine Shrimp, Ground up seafood(blender mush). As far as personality, they truely have days when they're just not happy. I have a Fiji Leather that shrivels up for a day every time I put my hand in the tank, even if I'm no where near him. Lighting and amount of flow play MAJOR parts in their happiness. IME mushrooms will move to anywhere other than where you want them!

Edited by whatevva (05/04/06 07:42 AM)

#20628 - 05/04/06 09:12 AM Re: Just Saying Hello..
Village_Monk Offline
Legend

Loc: In The Cave...Watching You
Wow just taking a peek from the Village Sim Forum, i have this game also but never was good at it, could never seem to get started well.

Those pictures are utterly amazing, I have a fresh water aquarium (10 Gal lol) with like 9 fish. Pathetic in comparison. Couple cave things in it, fake plants, air filter and a heater )~

I always liked fish and my dad used to have a couple 30-50 gal aquariums i think one was salt water one was fresh but i never got that deep into it, its too hard to clean and maintain. Im a nerd and cant pull myself from the computer long enough to deal with the stuff. (i sometimes forget to feed the ones i have but they are tough suckers)

3 Fruit Tetras, 1 Painted Glass Fish, 1 blacktail Shark, 1 Danio and 3 Blackfin Tetras (i think thats what they are all called)

The biggest problem is there are no pet stores where i live, the only pet store is run out of some guys house and half his fish i think are diseased or die when you buy them. Sucks for sure

Anyhow sweet tank,
<<--- Envious

#20629 - 05/04/06 09:26 AM Re: Just Saying Hello..
whatevva Offline
Trainee

Thanx Village, I really don't look at it as work any more than feeding or taking care of a dog, cat or whatever. They're my pets and I love every one of them as individuals. I've lost 2 corals so far and it's tough. You always remember them.......

#20630 - 05/07/06 01:45 AM Re: Just Saying Hello..
Rainbowfish Offline
Consigliere

Quote:

Quote:

Very good answer!! I know that they don't have a central nervous system, so they don't have the concept of pain, but they are animal. Most of the corals will also eat meaty foods. ie Mysis Shrimp,Brine Shrimp, Ground up seafood(blender mush). As far as personality, they truely have days when they're just not happy. I have a Fiji Leather that shrivels up for a day every time I put my hand in the tank, even if I'm no where near him. Lighting and amount of flow play MAJOR parts in their happiness. IME mushrooms will move to anywhere other than where you want them!

Thanks.... I'm planning on majoring in marine studies with a minor in earth sciences. If I wanna put ecosystems back to full health, I better know something about the ocean.

LOL, sounds like your corals are an handful.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  MissKathy, Rockmower 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter