Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 97 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Who else is excited for Virtual Villagers 6?
by Hydra14
02/28/24 08:22 PM
Legally playing Palm OS/Pocket PC games + H.M VV5?
by lorsieab2
02/24/24 09:16 PM
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
SwedishKaito, ewicos, M0kkinz, Golzy, Alice Arthagon
30707 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30707 Members
76 Forums
19380 Topics
186926 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#204984 - 07/24/09 06:56 PM Arthurs' Talk at Casual Connect Seattle -- July 2009
Carla Administrator Offline
Executive Producer

Loc: Italy
Here is a summary of Arthur's talk at Casual Connect Conference which took place in Seattle this week. As soon as they have the the podcast, I will update this post and put a link. smile

Building Strong Brands In A Storm Of Competition by Arthur Humphrey

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=24576

************ UPDATE AUGUST 18 ************

Finally the whole speech is on podcast. You can download it from here

Download Arthur's Slides/Audio at Casuality 09

Edited by Carla (08/18/09 07:43 PM)

#204987 - 07/24/09 07:23 PM Re: Arthurs' Talk at Casual Connect Seattle -- July 2009 [Re: Carla]
arnie Offline
Master of Meditation

Loc: London, UK
An interesting and thoughtful (not to say true) piece. Thanks for the link, Carla.

#204994 - 07/24/09 08:27 PM Re: Arthurs' Talk at Casual Connect Seattle -- July 2009 [Re: arnie]
Xay Administrator Offline
Customer Support Director

Loc: Colorado, US
Agreed. Arthur said exactly what I've been thinking for a few years now.
LDW Help Center
Submit a Support Request

#204997 - 07/24/09 08:41 PM Re: Arthurs' Talk at Casual Connect Seattle -- July 2009 [Re: Xay]
Lyssaria Offline
Legend

Loc: Suburban Isola
Absolutely true! I have tried out my fair share of match-3 and hidden object games but they do not feel like games that will lure me to the company and discover what else they have to offer. If anything, I find these repetitive games to be temporary amusements that create no loyalty or personal attachment to the company.

I respect LDW for many reasons and this is the only company I have been interested in enough to join their forum.

#205000 - 07/24/09 08:49 PM Re: Arthurs' Talk at Casual Connect Seattle -- July 2009 [Re: Lyssaria]
Annthewhofan Offline
Fan Fiction Enthusiast

Loc: Northwest, England
I agree I use to play match 3 games a lot but after awhile they get boaring. However they have made some improvements on some match 3 game for ie Iwin games website is one of them. On that website can compet aganst others.

#205003 - 07/24/09 08:59 PM Re: Arthurs' Talk at Casual Connect Seattle -- July 2009 [Re: Xay]
bethlham Offline
Guru

Thanks for the link Carla!

Arthur, you make great points and I, for one, agree with keeping on the long-term goals approch, maintaining integrity and innovation rather than the 'quick-fix' of making minor modifications to an existing idea.

I also linked to the Gamezebo reviews. All I can say is that if the little Virtual Villagers can brave the storm...so can LDW! laugh

You all are doing great and I expect great things from well intended people who have managed to keep my attention for these many years!

#205008 - 07/24/09 09:20 PM Re: Arthurs' Talk at Casual Connect Seattle -- July 2009 [Re: bethlham]
Britney Offline
Master

Loc: Tumblr
I think that this company will be known as one of the greats of the casual game world, if not already. laugh
I like this company and will be sticking around for years to come, just waiting to see what you come up with next.:)

I've played the "Three in a Row" genre and the "Hidden Object" genre sometimes, but they seem to get repetitive despite an underlying theme they may have. (E.g. tropical,old,city,space,fast food joint.)

This is my favorite forum, because, well, it just seems to friendly and welcoming (there are no internet trolls hanging around, there also just seems to be unwritten rules that keep this forum in this place, like if you mess with a regular, then all the regulars to this forum would get on your case, and in all my years here, I've only seen a tiny, tiny, TINY few get banned. The mods here do a great job.)

You are truly my favorite company.

#205011 - 07/24/09 09:43 PM Re: Arthurs' Talk at Casual Connect Seattle -- July 2009 [Re: bethlham]
Gamemastr1 Offline
Graphics Wizard

I have been a member of this forum since 02/25/07. For over 2 years now, I have known Arthur. I consider him a friend, an honest, and true person. With Arthur, it is what it is and that's what you get. I admire that genuine quality. I feel I am much the same way, so when I read this article, it didn't surprise me to see what I was reading. It was very candid and truthful. In some ways, I can see other game developers getting "put out", or slightly offended by the observations made. I have to agree with what was said.

I have 11 hidden object titles in my game arsenal. After awhile, I stopped getting them because it got to feel as if you've seen one, you've seen them all. The game didn't change, and as it was said in the article, the experience was pretty much the same for everyone who had the game. "find the key up here", "find the boot over here".

I have a few match 3 games but after a while it didn't matter if I was matching crystals, life-preservers, or platypus', it was the same game every time I opened it up. There great for me, if I really am just looking to pass the time away and really don't want to put much brain effort into what I am doing.

The article I just read was dripping with truth. Games, like the one's LDW puts out, are ever changing and depending on what you do with your game, can actually have a great impact on the outcome. The variables are plentiful which makes my game experience different from anyone else who is playing the game.

Way to go LDW. Way to go Arthur.

#205014 - 07/24/09 10:09 PM Re: Arthurs' Talk at Casual Connect Seattle -- July 2009 [Re: Gamemastr1]
Lewanda Offline
Legend

Loc: Ky
Great article Arthur! I agree with it 100%. LDW games are the only ones I've wanted to play over and over. The others I play once and never go back to. Thanks for creating your great family oriented games.

#205047 - 07/25/09 01:38 AM Re: Arthurs' Talk at Casual Connect Seattle -- July 2009 [Re: Lewanda]
BayouBlonde Offline
Master

Loc: Louisiana
Kudos. I have said before and will say again, only a gamer could develop such an addictive arsenal of games within the "casual" game market. I hope you never lose that. Your understanding of how important a web presence is to the gaming community comes from that and that quote almost made me cheer.

Other developers may be offended at the candid nature of the comments, but they would be wise to heed the advice given - very wise indeed. Then again, you could just keep the secrets for yourself and let them falter and fail. I think it is wiser still to offer the advise and let those that will accept it, use it. Sometimes the creations of others are what inspire us to keep improving, keep creating and keep exceeding.

I continue to be more and more impressed with you and the company you all have established. You have earned my loyalty as a customer and I am happily anticipating your next development. smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MissKathy 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter