Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 205 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Questions about the music
by lorsieab2
04/18/24 06:09 PM
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
Ceci, gbbxox, Blaznbeauty, Police12, ahebidafu
30712 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30712 Members
76 Forums
19382 Topics
186933 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#201595 - 07/04/09 07:19 AM virtualfamilies.exe has stopped working
1littleb Offline
Trainee

Loc: Iowa
Yesterday my VF game was running perfect. I shut the game down last night, it shut down with no problems (so should not be a corrupted file). I also shut my laptop down. Tonight I restarted my laptop, accessed my VF game, shut it down to go do something. When I returned I tried to restart it. It opens the main page, progress bar loads to halfway, then it shuts down and I get the virtualfamilies.exe has stopped working. After that message I get the following message that I took a screen shot of. I have not had any laptop freezes, nor has the power went out and the game has not crashed. Any ideas on what the cause of this is and how it can be fixed? Thanks!

#201596 - 07/04/09 07:33 AM Re: virtualfamilies.exe has stopped working [Re: 1littleb]
Xay Administrator Offline
Customer Support Director

Loc: Colorado, US
Do you have Windows Vista? If so, it sounds like it's Vista's DEP at work (Data Execution Prevention). Here's how to fix it:

Quote:
To read about what DEP does and how to change its settings, click Start on your Vista taskbar, then click Help and Support. In the "Search Help" field at the top of the help window, type "dep" and press the Enter key on your keyboard. You should see several entries related to DEP, which you can browse to become familiar with this Vista feature. To change DEP settings, click on "Change Data Execution Prevention settings." Depending upon how Vista is set up on your computer, you may see that DEP is turned on for all programs. If this is the case, you can choose to either set DEP only for essential Windows programs and services, or to disable DEP for the game only by follow the instructions for turning off DEP for an individual program.

LDW Help Center
Submit a Support Request

#201597 - 07/04/09 07:47 AM Re: virtualfamilies.exe has stopped working [Re: Xay]
1littleb Offline
Trainee

Yes, I have Windows Vista. I went in and disabled the DEP for the game, restarted the pc, tried to restart the game and am getting the same error.

#201598 - 07/04/09 07:54 AM Re: virtualfamilies.exe has stopped working [Re: 1littleb]

Right click on the exe file, and select "Run as Administrator".
LDW Help Center
Submit a Support Request

#201599 - 07/04/09 08:01 AM Re: virtualfamilies.exe has stopped working [Re: Xay]
1littleb Offline
Trainee

That seemed to work, but somehow some of my mods have now disappeared so I will have to redo those. Will I need to click run as admin everytime I open the game now?

#201600 - 07/04/09 08:02 AM Re: virtualfamilies.exe has stopped working [Re: 1littleb]

No, once you have that set, it shouldn't ask you again.
LDW Help Center
Submit a Support Request

#201601 - 07/04/09 08:08 AM Re: virtualfamilies.exe has stopped working [Re: Xay]
1littleb Offline
Trainee

Great! Thanks so much for your help! I was concerned I would have to reinstall the entire game again. Happy 4th!

#201602 - 07/04/09 08:12 AM Re: virtualfamilies.exe has stopped working [Re: Xay]
1littleb Offline
Trainee

Spoke to soon. It's back to doing the same thing again. Getting the same error, even after trying to run as admin. Why did it work the 1st time and now it won't again? Grr. This is driving me CRAZY!

#201603 - 07/04/09 08:23 AM Re: virtualfamilies.exe has stopped working [Re: 1littleb]

Try removing that DEP setting. It seems like I had the same issue with Plant Tycoon a while back.

I'm going to bed now, but I'll check the forums in the morning. Good luck!!
LDW Help Center
Submit a Support Request

#201604 - 07/04/09 08:39 AM Re: virtualfamilies.exe has stopped working [Re: Xay]
1littleb Offline
Trainee

I removed it, still no luck. I've now done every possible thing I can with DEP and still get the same error. Actually it has gotten worse. It won't even open the main page of the game before giving me the error, before at least it was trying to load.

Good night! smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MissKathy 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter