Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 69 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Questions about the music
by lorsieab2
04/18/24 06:09 PM
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
gbbxox, Blaznbeauty, Police12, ahebidafu, SwedishKaito
30711 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30711 Members
76 Forums
19382 Topics
186933 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#19912 - 04/06/06 03:23 PM Top Cheaters of Fish Tycoon
jonty Offline
Trainee

Just looking at the top 50 scoreboard and out of the top 6 there are 4 cheats

(1) kka
(2) IceWolf
(3) Sunshine
(4) Kuri

Maybe Arthur should have two scoreboards. One for the cheaters and one for the real lovers of the game who find it fun to see how their doing against everyone else.
I know it would be easy for Arthur to ban these user names from being able to upload their scores but for some reason he wont do it so lets expose them here.
Arthur, a lot of kids use your games and is this the right way to go by showing them cheating is O.K.????? What should I tell my kids when they ask about the cheats Arthur???

#19913 - 04/06/06 03:36 PM Re: Top Cheaters of Fish Tycoon
LadyCFII Administrator Offline
Unicorn

Loc: Colorado
I don't know that I'd go so far as to say it would be easy for Arthur to ban the cheaters. This is what Arthur said in the last discussion on the subject of cheaters on the leaderboard:

Quote:

I have been removing 'cheaters' manually from the leaderboard--I know it bothers people. I don't have enough infrastructure on the leaderboards to ban anyone from it, though, but I am considering other solutions.

I know that Arthur doesn't condone cheating (see this post), but I don't think the problem is as easy to fix as your comments would suggest. There are just so many hours in a day.

#19914 - 04/06/06 04:44 PM Re: Top Cheaters of Fish Tycoon
TheVillageIdiot Offline
Sage

Loc: Island of Isola
Quote:

Maybe Arthur should have two scoreboards. One for the cheaters and one for the real lovers of the game who find it fun to see how their doing against everyone else.

That would be cool, but not easily done, and I would rather Arthur focus (as I’m sure he would agree) on developing these games on other platforms. Possibly a feasible option, although it would still take more hours to do then feasible, would have a way to tell the software not to submit info to the board. This could be done by a click box indicated cheats were used. There really is not reason to have two boards though. What good would a cheat board be for?

Quote:

I know it would be easy for Arthur to ban these user names from being able to upload their scores but for some reason he wont do it so lets expose them here.

Not so easy really. Yes it could be done but it would have to consistently be monitored and new parameters to the filter added daily. Very time consumeing.

Quote:

Arthur, a lot of kids use your games and is this the right way to go by showing them cheating is O.K.????? What should I tell my kids when they ask about the cheats Arthur???

I don’t believe Arthur has ever said cheating is O.K. In fact he has said several times he is against it. What I would tell your kids is, look people cheat. Just because others do it does not mean it is ok. It is like stealing music by downloading it illegal (kaaza, bigbear or any other file sharing program). Lots of people do it, but that does not make it right, as well as other examples. You can’t hide this stuff from them. It’s real life, and this would be a good example to show them how to rise above the situation.

#19915 - 04/06/06 07:12 PM Re: Top Cheaters of Fish Tycoon
mpc425 Offline

Loc: Maine
I'm curious about two things. Where is this top 50 scorebooard? I've downloaded statistics but there doesn't seem to be any names - just rankings. And what defines cheating in this game? I know I have used some workarounds (spoilers) to enhance my enjoyment of the game that others might not find their cup of tea. (I work in the technology industry and it is fun for me to find how to make things work to my advantage.) However, I also don't need to compare how I play the game to how anyone else plays. I will certainly share my tips/spoilers with those who want to see them but I don't care what my rating is. Like I said, just curious what the definition of cheating is...

#19916 - 04/06/06 07:25 PM Re: Top Cheaters of Fish Tycoon
LadyCFII Administrator Offline
Unicorn

Loc: Colorado
I think different people have different opinions about what's cheating and what's not. The phenomenon that's the subject of this discussion will be obvious when you examine the leaderboard. It can be accessed from LDW's Fish Tycoon for Windows page by clicking on the High Scores link, or just click here to go directly to it.

#19917 - 04/07/06 08:57 AM Re: Top Cheaters of Fish Tycoon
TheVillageIdiot Offline
Sage

Loc: Island of Isola
As Barbra has pointed out peeps will differ on what a cheat it. In this case, I would imagine everyone would agree the people listed by jonty used a cheat. No but’s about it. There is no way to have those kinds of stats without changing the savegame file with a hex editor. There is another “cheat” that does not requiring editing the hex file, but has to do with moving the time forward. This too is defiantly called a cheat b/c you are changing something that is not “normal” for lack of a better term. Other people on this board would also tell you if you did not learn some the “secrets” of playing this game (as well as SV and PT) then you are cheating too. I suppose it would be because the joy of playing this game is figuring out what you need to do. If someone tells you, well then you did not figure it out. Personally I do not think the latter is cheating, but simply learning how to play the game. I’m sure there are others that would not agree. Bottom line, it is a personal decision. And as always, you will have to live with yourself knowing that you “beat” this game with some one else’s help.

Bottom line with respect to this thread is, the leader board is pretty much useless due to there being no way to determine who and who did not use a cheat to compile the numbers. Personally, I’ve been trying to get on the board for three weeks now using no cheats. All I have been doing is breeding, breeding, and breeding a certain yellow fish. So far I have only muster a little over $560,000. At this rate it will take another three weeks at least to break into the top 50.

#19918 - 04/09/06 06:29 AM Re: Top Cheaters of Fish Tycoon
jonty Offline
Trainee

Quote:

I'm curious about two things. Where is this top 50 scorebooard? I've downloaded statistics but there doesn't seem to be any names - just rankings. And what defines cheating in this game? I know I have used some workarounds (spoilers) to enhance my enjoyment of the game that others might not find their cup of tea. (I work in the technology industry and it is fun for me to find how to make things work to my advantage.) However, I also don't need to compare how I play the game to how anyone else plays. I will certainly share my tips/spoilers with those who want to see them but I don't care what my rating is. Like I said, just curious what the definition of cheating is...

You can find the scoreboard here:-
Code:
http://www.ldwsoftware.com/ft_win_scores/index.php  

As for the definition of a cheat:-
Someone who dosn't play by the rules

#19919 - 04/10/06 02:30 PM Re: Top Cheaters of Fish Tycoon
YaelleG Offline
Consigliere

Loc: Baltimore
When I began reading posts about cheaters, I thought uh-oh the little cheat I've been doing to age my fish is going to make people angry. Then I went to the leaderboard & saw some of those stats. LMAO! At least try to make it believable if for some reason you're compelled to do that!

#19920 - 04/11/06 05:09 AM Re: Top Cheaters of Fish Tycoon
auntiekim Offline
Expert

Loc: chatteris,England
Having got near the top without any cheats, all I do is breed the yellow ones and grow them up fast with the chemical, I am dissapointed now and have stopped that game, I still think a board that is based first on species discovered then other parameters would be a closer recognition of our efforts

#19921 - 04/11/06 11:45 AM Re: Top Cheaters of Fish Tycoon
sarahjanel Offline

Cheating??? I am doing good just to turn the thing on much less figuring out how to "Cheat". Although I am not a good person for keeping secrets.(I always peek at my christmas presents) So I did check out some of the spoilers for Fish Tycoon, and Village Sim. I think it is good to have some direction on where to go. Esp. for us inpatient people. So, to all those that gave spoils... I salute you. (Well, I would not go that far. I guess just a thank you would be sufficient.)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MissKathy, Rockmower 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter