Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Questions about the music
by lorsieab2
04/18/24 06:09 PM
News about updates for our older games on iOS
by Keegan
04/08/24 03:47 PM
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
gbbxox, Blaznbeauty, Police12, ahebidafu, SwedishKaito
30711 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30711 Members
76 Forums
19382 Topics
186933 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#196003 - 05/25/09 03:53 PM Re: I need some Computer Help...Please [Re: Rockmower]
Gamemastr1 Offline
Graphics Wizard

ask a room full of chef's how to cook an egg and you'll get 12 different answers. As I too am a computer tech, and after reading the posts above, I shall tell you how I would cook this egg.

Is it a memory thing? It's possible. Lack of memory? Most likely not, but still possible. There could be a portion of the memory that is bad, and when it gets written to, the computer freaks out and crashes.

Imagine a square. Now divide that square into 10 squares across and down. Now you have a square with 100 squares in it. That is what your memory is like, just many more squares than 100. when your computer uses the memory it will usually just stick it anywhere there is room. It does not start at the first square, fill it up, and move to the next. It may fill square 55 and then 82 and then 5 and then 77, until it is finished putting into memory what it needed to put. Maybe of all the squares on there, square 43 in faulty for some reason. The computer is going along, filling in squares and decides to use square 43 and {{CRASH}}.

Replacing memory is cheap and it is fairly simple to do. There are other things you can try in the meantime. I don't feel comfortable going into detail about these on the open forum as I will not be responsible for someone being adventurous and ultimately hosing their otherwise stable computer.

Things I will recommend would be this. Clean your computers hard drive of all temp files, temorary internet files, and other junk. I have a program I have used for years that is very reliable and it is very thorough. It is called Window Washer. It washes things that a normal user wouldn't be able to wash. You would have Temp internet files (TIF) for Internet Explorer and for Firefox and any other browser you may use. They do not use the same TIF folder.

Of course, like Rockmower suggested, run a virus scan. A thorough or deep scan. This may take a bit of time but it will be much better than a "quick scan".

Like I said though, there are other things I do when I get called to someone's house to fix their computer but they are a bit more involved and shouldn't be "put out there" for just anyone to try. If you want, you can PM me and I can go over them with you, but honestly, from what I have been reading here, I would suggest you start by replacing your memory. Mind you, I am only reading the problem here and am not there to see first hand what it is doing and therefore I am only making assuptions from the information provided.

If you wind up replacing your memory, be sure to go someplace where you feel they would be knowledgeable. Computers can only handle up to a certain amount of memory. After that, they don't "see" it and you've wasted your money and may have potentially created a new problem. Also, ask the salesperson what the name brands are for memory. The most reliable and oldest name out there. Do not try and go cheap. This is an important part of the computer and you do not want to put any old part in your computer. There is the old saying, "you get what you paid for". This holds true in this case.

Good luck, break a leg, may the force be with you, and all that good stuff. laugh

#196023 - 05/25/09 04:56 PM Re: I need some Computer Help...Please [Re: Gamemastr1]
Havetia Offline
Guru

Loc: Somewhere in NC
We also found out that she had a graphic driver problem (with the last BSOD message). After we upgraded her drivers that helped. I do recommend that she follow Rock and Gamey's advice. Also does anyone have a memtest for her that would test to see if the current RAM she has now, is faulty? The one I gave her didn't work.

#196027 - 05/25/09 05:14 PM Re: I need some Computer Help...Please [Re: Havetia]
bethlham Offline
Guru

Can I just say that though I am a computer dum-dum and barely understand what is being said here...that I think it is AWESOME that everyone is so helpful!!

It makes me so happy to know there are so many knowledgeable and helpful members grin

Yea us! laugh

#196030 - 05/25/09 05:20 PM Re: I need some Computer Help...Please [Re: bethlham]
*Vanna Offline
Consigliere

Loc: TEXAS
I agree with you 100% bethlam. The people here are AWESOME!!

#196134 - 05/26/09 01:46 AM Re: I need some Computer Help...Please [Re: *Vanna]
Rockmower Offline
Master Poet

Loc: The Beautiful Ozarks
Originally Posted By: Gamemastr1
ask a room full of chef's how to cook an egg and you'll get 12 different answers.

Amen Brother Ben! You said a whole mouthful there!

Originally Posted By: Bethlham
...I think it is AWESOME that everyone is so helpful!!

It makes me so happy to know there are so many knowledgeable and helpful members grin

HEY! "They" Don't call this Friendlyville for nothin'! grin

Originally Posted By: Havetia
Also does anyone have a memtest for her that would test to see if the current RAM she has now, is faulty?

A who? What? confused Did they teach that subject in high school? crazy lol

Seriously, I don't, but it should be fairly painless for someone who doesn't suffer from "dial-up download syndrome" to find one on the web. Just make sure it's a trusted source. smile

Edited by Rockmower (05/26/09 01:48 AM)

Avvie by Airstream Raider
Where have all the Fan Fiction Fans gone?
(I miss Laurence cry)
I miss my wife cry

#196361 - 05/27/09 06:57 AM Re: I need some Computer Help...Please [Re: Rockmower]
asfd Offline

AT bootup your system turns to a blue screen, this problem causes by a certain hardware drivers. Either the device driver is not compatible to the device, or sometimes it is the hardware part.

#196374 - 05/27/09 12:37 PM Re: I need some Computer Help...Please [Re: asfd]
Havetia Offline
Guru

Just so that everyone knows, Vanna told me that her computer has been working fine since we upgraded her graphic card driver.

#196429 - 05/27/09 04:53 PM Re: I need some Computer Help...Please [Re: Havetia]
*Vanna Offline
Consigliere

Loc: TEXAS
Yes, My computer hasn't Crashed or even froze, I am sorry that i forgot to update you all. Thanks so much for everyones help. Everyone Is so helpful. You are all very much appreciated!
Thanks again,

#199449 - 06/19/09 09:04 AM Re: I need some Computer Help...Please [Re: Gamemastr1]
Annthewhofan Offline
Fan Fiction Enthusiast

Loc: Northwest, England
I wised I came to you Gamey when I had a computer problem last week and I tried to get help with the micosoftware company that installed the updates and they could not help. luckely enough I managed to fix it and the software company must have found the problem that some of the updates were currupted or invalid on their site and instead of the 9 updates I got the 4 updates and the updates were good.

#199454 - 06/19/09 01:59 PM Re: I need some Computer Help...Please [Re: Annthewhofan]
Havetia Offline
Guru

I do not think Vanna would mind if I quoted what she told me in a PM, as it is the only way she can talk as her computer is down and she was using her phone.

I quote:

I miss all of y'all so much. I took it to another repair shop and they said it wasn't the Graphic card that did it. they said when i put the graphic card in that it didn't help because my computer was to far gone. they said from the looks of it someone had hacked my computer and had been messing with stuff. They said they would try to fix it for me, and Said they doubted it was fixable. They actually got it to come on though so that is a plus. I will let yall know what happens!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MissKathy 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter