Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Questions about the music
by lorsieab2
04/18/24 06:09 PM
News about updates for our older games on iOS
by Keegan
04/08/24 03:47 PM
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
gbbxox, Blaznbeauty, Police12, ahebidafu, SwedishKaito
30711 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30711 Members
76 Forums
19382 Topics
186933 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Topic Options
#188774 - 04/26/09 12:03 AM "File Error, Must Reinstall Game"
number1storm Offline

Loc: Kitsap County Washington
Greetings, I am getting an error everytime I try to play Virtual Families, that says that there is an error and I must re-install the game.
If I reinstall it, will it delete my old game, also, when I bought the game I was told I could install it on up to three computers, if I re-install it and use the code again will that count as another one of the three times, so that I will only be able to do it to one more computer?
Thanks for any help and advice.

#188836 - 04/26/09 03:10 AM Re: "File Error, Must Reinstall Game" [Re: number1storm]
LadyCFII Administrator Offline
Unicorn

Loc: Colorado
What is the exact error message you are seeing? Have you run a complete antivirus/spyware software scan to make sure that a virus of some sort is not creating problems on your computer?

You can reinstall the game on the same computer as much as you need to, but you shouldn't have to install it more than once. It's important to determine what's causing the error with the game.

#194548 - 05/18/09 02:09 AM Re: "File Error, Must Reinstall Game" [Re: number1storm]
debbie1260 Offline
Trainee

I actually had a problem where I couldn't start the game and I had to re-download it. A subsequent scan revealled a virus in the Virtual Families game file.

Deb

#194764 - 05/18/09 10:42 PM Re: "File Error, Must Reinstall Game" [Re: debbie1260]
QuickStorm Offline
Legend

Loc: America's Birthplace
I got my VF from LDW and there is NO virus in the game file.

#194839 - 05/19/09 02:54 AM Re: "File Error, Must Reinstall Game" [Re: QuickStorm]
debbie1260 Offline
Trainee

I got mine from LDW too. ::shrug:: No idea how the virus got there.

#194843 - 05/19/09 03:09 AM Re: "File Error, Must Reinstall Game" [Re: debbie1260]
QuickStorm Offline
Legend

Loc: America's Birthplace
Are you sure it was a virus or was it a false positive? I've noticed in other computer forums that some anti-virus software have been having a lot of problems.

No reputable game developer is going to drop virus in their games.

#194851 - 05/19/09 04:04 AM Re: "File Error, Must Reinstall Game" [Re: QuickStorm]
LadyCFII Administrator Offline
Unicorn

Loc: Colorado
We do ensure that all of our downloads are free of viruses and other malware. There has been a problem in recent months with various anti-virus software quarantining our games due to false identification of a virus. Earlier this year Symantec investigated a complaint from one of our customers and resolved the issue for that game, but virus signatures change often, and there is little we can do to affect the problem of false positives.

I have personally had several of our games quarantined on various computers in my test lab by Symantec products, and I know for a fact that those files were not infected. Some of the files had been on those computers since 2006-2007 (and Symantec had been running continuously the entire time), and they were suddenly quarantined after Symantec changed its signature files.

Everyone must decide for themselves how to handle this kind of situation. If you have been running reliable anti-virus software and are confident that your computer is not infected with a virus (apart from a warning about our game), then it's probably safe to remove the game from quarantine and exclude it from further scans. You may also want to contact your anti-virus software provider if you have concerns.

Moderator:  MissKathy 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter