Okay, so, here's my new story! It's just a one-shot that I wrote late last night. If you're allergic to fluffiness, beware the last paragraph. \:D Onward!

Reflection

Ascha sat on the beach, legs straight out in front of her, propped up on her hands. She stared out in the general direction of the glowing orb peeking over the horizon. As the sun rose, the sky went from darkened twilight blue to purple to pink. After a few moments, Ascha’s six year old daughter Kole came up and sat down beside her mother. “Good morning, Kole,” greeted Ascha. Kole was the only one of the children that was an early riser. The small girl nodded a greeting to her mother in return. Always the introverted intellectual, Kole kept mostly to herself.

“So, what’s our topic for discussion this morning, Kole?”

The dark haired girl considered for a moment. Finally an idea dawned in her amethyst eyes. “I’ve got one. How did you and Father meet?” Ascha was slightly taken aback at this. “Well,” she began. “That’s actually a very interesting story.” Kole tucked her legs up under her and turned more towards her mother with an interested look.

“You see, when I was about your age, I got it into my head that someday I was going to leave my tribe and explore the island. I lived in a tribe on the southern shore of Isola.” She paused. Already she could see the gears turning in Kole’s head. “Uh oh,” Ascha said teasingly. “You’re going to turn this into one of your stories, aren’t you?” Kole nodded sheepishly. “It already sounds so fascinating, Mother!” Ascha smiled. “Pretty soon we’re going to need a new hut just for all of your writing.”

Even though Kole was only six years old, she was writing almost constantly and was an amazing story teller. Her usually very focused and serious face now bore a look of impatience. “What happened, Mother?? You were going to leave, and…” Ascha chuckled a little before continuing.

“Yes. So, when I turned eighteen, I packed up my things and left in the middle of the night without telling anyone. I set off into the forest and travelled until morning. When the sun rose, I stopped in a clearing and ate some of the food I had packed. After I ate, I slept. When I woke up, I went back into the woods and continued until midday. While I was resting, I heard a rustling in the forest. I immediately got to my feet and prepared to defend myself, certain that it was some kind of wild animal.

“Instead, it was your father that entered the clearing. I had no idea who he was at that time, of course. We took one look at each other and then said, at the same time, ‘Who are you?’” Kole laughed at the idea. “Really, Mother? At the same exact time?” Ascha nodded and then continued.
“We introduced ourselves and I found out that your father was the last surviving person from a large tribe on the northern shore. He told me that there was a city there, still standing, but that there were no people left aside from him. I explained that I was out looking for adventure, and, sensing that he seemed like the type that would latch on to my company and never leave, I added ‘And I travel alone’

“He was not at all fazed by this; in fact, I’m not sure if he even noticed. I decided that I could put up with him for a while, but I was going to leave him behind somewhere along the way.” She paused. “One of my favorite things about traveling alone, I had discovered, was the silence of the forest. I could really take in the colors and the soft sounds that you wouldn’t hear normally. Traveling with your father was ‘normally’ times ten. It seemed like he never stopped talking!

“He always had another question, no matter how aloof I made my voice. After two days of this, I finally snapped. I told him (very loudly, I might add) that if he wanted someone to interrogate, then he’d chosen the wrong girl, and perhaps he’d better consider finding someone else that was wandering around in the jungle.” Ascha laughed. “The look on his face was of almost pure terror at my outburst, and it was so mind-bendingly adorable that I think that’s when I fell in love with him.

“Realizing the import of what I’d said, I quickly apologized and told him that if he wanted to travel with me, I really didn’t mind, and something came loose in my head and I couldn’t stop babbling. And can you guess how he made me stop?” Kole pondered for a moment before coming up with the most logical answer. “Did he kiss you?” Ascha nodded, not at all surprised that she had guessed correctly. “That he did. I was so shocked that I turned completely around from babbling and switched to being unable to speak at all!

“About a week’s worth of traveling, we found this shore, and came across Chrys, Jasper and Galena,” Ascha said, referring to the other family that lived on the East side of Isola. “A few months later, Kandi and Lynx also found our little camp, and even later, your father and I got married. And the rest is history.” Kole grinned at her mother. “That’s a good story!” she said. Ascha smiled. “I think so too.”

“Well, the sun’s up and you’d better go wake your brothers,” she told her daughter. Kole jumped up and took off for the hut that her family lived in. Ascha threw another glance at the ocean before following suit to make the morning meal. She met with her husband, Flint, at the fire, which he was just bringing to life. Ascha stood at the low table and started to prepare the food when Flint came up behind her. “So,” he began. “What did you two talk about this morning?” Ascha smiled. “Kole wanted to hear the story of how we met. And she loved it, too. We’d better watch out, I’m sure something similar will be popping up in one of her stories soon.”

Flint hugged his wife. “I think it’s a pretty great story, myself,” he said softly. Ascha turned her head and looked up at her husband. “Me too,” she said, kissing him.

THE END

To post comments on this story, click here.

Edited by Rockmower (08/14/08 03:34 AM)