Virtual Villagers Tips & Tricks, Walkthroughs, Guides, Hints and Help Last Day of Work Official Forums: Virtual Families, Virtual Villagers, Fish Tycoon
Facebook
Who's Online
0 registered (), 142 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Recent Posts
Questions about the music
by lorsieab2
04/18/24 06:09 PM
News about updates for our older games on iOS
by Keegan
04/08/24 03:47 PM
LDW Links
LDW
Virtual Families
Virtual Villagers
Fish Tycoon
Plant Tycoon
Newest Members
Blaznbeauty, Police12, ahebidafu, SwedishKaito, ewicos
30710 Registered Users
Forum Stats
30710 Members
76 Forums
19381 Topics
186931 Posts

Max Online: 577 @ 12/25/23 08:46 AM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#166446 - 08/01/08 07:35 PM Re: A Twist of Fate - by SaxyT [Re: LadyCFII]
LadyCFII Administrator Offline
Unicorn

Loc: Colorado
Chapter 27
The Love of a Tribe

Obi spoke with a loud, clear, confident voice, never wavering in his story. Noa fell in love with her husband all over again and she listened to him describe Tarita's situation. When he had finished, he waited for their reaction, one hand on Tarita's shoulder, the other holding Noa's. On Tarita's other side, Ahi had an arm around her waist and held his sister with loving arms.

Coen was the first to step forward and walked straight to Obi. Coen stared at him for a minute then reached a hand up to Obi's shoulder.

"Are you going to let her go now, so that we can congratulate her? She's carrying a miracle, and I would like to give her a proper hug."

Noa let out a breath and only then realized she had been holding it. Obi smiled and released Tarita as Coen stepped sideways and hugged the young woman. The remaining tribe members took their turns to hug and kiss Tarita, offering sincere congratulations. The news of Tarita seemed to instill a new found energy and hope into the tribe.

Over the next nine months, the six women took their turns bringing more babies into the tribe. Obi and Noa had another boy, who, like their other sons, looked very much like their father. Piku and Mua had another girl. Coen and Jem birthed yet another little girl. Ahi and Aida also had girl. Akio and Aida had a son and Tarita had a boy. The tribe celebrated these children. The next generation and the future of the tribe. Noticing the wonderful mix of boys and girls that were born, the elder members of the tribe watched the children play together and knew their tribe would continue for sometime.

By the time all the children were old enough to be named, Noa had turned 52 and knew, in her heart, that her time for birthing children had come to an end. She wasn't sad, not really. Her and Obi had given birth to six beautiful children and were also grandparents. They couldn't possibly have asked for more. But as she realized that she was getting older, she was noticing age start to take its toll on her beloved. Having just turned 58, Obi was starting to move a little slower, pain starting to show in his joints. His face was lined from years in the sun, farming everyday of his adult life. His silver hair was starting to dull and was looking more grey than silver. But Obi's eyes remained bright, and he never complained, not once. Ahi had taken to farming as well, helping his father and sister out as Obi slowed down. Ahi was quickly mastering the skill and Obi cherished each day he spent with Tiki and Ahi, performing their duties as providers. The children equally enjoyed the time. As Noa watched the three grow even closer, she feared that her family was running short on time with Obi. She remained strong, but inside, her heart was starting to break. She simply couldn't imagine living without Obi. But when you start to age, you start to realize that everyone has to move on at sometime. As much as the miraculous acts of her family had made her a believer, she was quite sure that wishing and hoping was not going to allow Obi to live forever.

#166447 - 08/01/08 07:36 PM Re: A Twist of Fate - by SaxyT [Re: LadyCFII]
Unicorn

Well, we don't yet what is going to happen to Obi and the others, so you'll just have to stick with me to the end.

I'm so cruel sometimes.

Chapter 28
The Master Celebrated

Piku had taken to completing all construction projects alone, leaving the others free to research with the master scientists and try to advance the tribe further. Piku didn't mind. He loved his fellow carpenters but enjoyed the solitude as well. One day, during lunch, he grabbed Mua and took her for a walk.

"I want you to see this." He said walking his wife to a spot just south of the lagoon. "Look at this spot, Mua. Why have we never done anything with this?" Mua looked at him, confused. "Look!" he continued. "Can't you see it?" Mua looked down and Piku could tell she was not understanding. He knelt down and brushed some of the grass and dirt aside. "Underneath these stones and dirt and grass are tiles. Beautiful glass tiles. Someone once treasured this spot. It was special once. I want to restore it."

Mua looked at Piku and started to speak but had no words. Piku turned to face her, "Mua, I'm 50. I can't do this work for much longer. As a last gift to this tribe, our large family, I want to do this. Leave them with something beautiful to remember it's founders by." A tear snuck down Mua's cheek and she kissed Piku. "I think that would be wonderful."

Over the next few years, Piku worked everyday to clear the old ruins. Scraping and wiping and moving rocks. He poured his heart and sole into the task and slowly, the beauty of what once was, started to show.

Meanwhile, Ahi had progressed greatly in the skill of farming. While Ahi was fishing one day, Obi approached Akio, Coen and Piku and pulled them aside. "I want to honor Ahi." He started and the three men looked at him. "I know that we have all worked hard, all of our lives. And we have all gone far above and beyond mastering our skills. But Ahi has been the one to help out wherever he was needed and at only 32, has nearly mastered three of our most difficult skills. I believe this is something to be recognized." He finished. The three looked at each other and then looked back at Obi.

"What do you want us to do Dad?" asked Akio.

"I will need a large piece of wood, a log. I also need a sharp knife, some sea stones from the bottom of the lagoon and all of your help. We must keep this quite until it's ready, tell no one."

"I'll get the stones" said Akio. "I learned to dive from the best" he added smiling at his father. Obi grinned with pride at his son.

"Coen and I will get a log. We'll find the largest we can." Said Piku.

"When you find it, please bring it to the edge of the forest, but no further. We'll need to work on it there, where no one can see it." Piku and Coen nodded and rushed to the forest.

Over the next few months, the four were seen heading to the forest on many occasions for hours at a time. They would emerge looking dirty and tired and covered in sawdust. When asked what they were up to, neither man would say a word. They would just simply smile and nod. In between their trips to the forest, they would each continue with their regular tasks and Piku had nearly completed his project of uncovering the ruins.

One day, the four gathered around the fire and called the rest of the tribe to join them. As they approached, they all noticed a large object covered in blankets and curiosity and excitement flowed through the tribe.

"Ahi, I'd like you to join us, son" Obi called and Ahi stepped forward, blushing slightly but not really knowing why. Obi put his hands on Ahi's shoulders and spoke only to him. "Ahi, you have grown into an amazing man, a husband, a father, a carpenter, a scientist, and a farmer. You have accomplished more in 32 years than any of us have ever done in this tribe. For that, we," and his paused to indicate the three other men standing beside him, "felt that it was time you were properly recognized for your accomplishments. And not just for the moment. We wanted to ensure that every successor of this tribe knew who you were and what you had done in your life and sought a way to ensure you were honored for the rest of your life and every life of this tribe to follow." With that, Obi stepped aside and the four men parted to show the covered the object. With a graceful sweep, Coen and Akio pulled the blankets off to reveal a large, stunning, hand carved totem. Ahi gasped at it's brilliance. It was red, with carved sea stones embedded throughout the intricate carvings. Behind him, he felt the whole tribe take a sharp breath with him.

Ahi stepped forward to take a closer look at the totem. "It's beautiful, Dad. It's absolutely beautiful!" and he turned to his father seeing tears streaming down his face. The men embraced as Noa and Aida stepped forward to join their husbands. As they celebrated, Piku stepped between them. "And I thought," he said, "that since I have now completed uncovering the old ruins, we could display the totem there, for every generation to follow to admire and be inspired by." The tribe clapped and hollered in agreement and Aiko and Coen lifted the totem and carried it over to the glass tiled area as the rest of the tribe followed. The two set the totem down in the centre of the tiles and turned to face their families and friends.

The entire tribe had stopped and froze. Their eyes were wide and mouths open. As Obi and Ahi stepped forward from the crowd, Coen and Akio turned to see a bright light shining from the centre of the tiles, shining up over the top of the large totem. The two took a few steps back and joined Obi and Ahi. The rest of the tribe collectively backed away as well. They watched as the light grew brighter and then the totem slowly lifted into the air. It moved with precise grace and control and after lifting up about 8 feet in the air, it moved sideways and slowly lowered back to the ground, completely unharmed. The bright light, now shooting to the sky, began to fade. Shielding their eyes from the light, the men noticed something on the ground in the centre of the tiles. As the light disappeared, Coen walked over to object and saw a large jagged piece of metal. "Ahi, come here!" he said. As Ahi approached, Coen looked up. "I think it's the fourth piece!" Ahi knelt down to examine the object with Coen. It was the fourth piece. Somehow, someway, they had uncovered the fourth piece of the gong.

#166448 - 08/01/08 07:37 PM Re: A Twist of Fate - by SaxyT [Re: LadyCFII]
Unicorn

Chapter 29
The Gong of Wonder

"You do the honors." Coen said to Ahi. "This is your discovery, this is what you've been working on. You finish it." And he stood and backed away. Ahi picked up the metal piece and carried it over to the stone figure. As soon as he attached it to the other pieces, the four parts fused together, leaving no trace of a seam. The finished piece glowed briefly and words appeared upon it. Ahi stepped forward and read.

"You have restored the Gong Of Wonder.
While its power and purpose remain unclear to all who came before you,
It shall stand magnificently in your village
And remain a source of great pride to everyone."

"Ring it!" cried Aida from the front of the crowd.

"Yeah, ring it daddy! Cried little Nunai, looking at her father in excitement. Ahi smiled at his daughter and picked up a large stick. He put a hand out to Nunai, "Only if you help me." She ran over to him and Ahi lifted her up. Together, they hit the gong as hard as they could. It gave a loud, low, glorious sound. Everyone paused to see what would happen. After a moment, Noa spoke up. "Maybe nothing happens after all."

"No, look!" gasped Jem, pointing at the food bin. It was utterly overflowing with food. Three times more food then there had been that morning.

"It's unbelieveable!" cried Piku. Ahi, hit it again!" Ahi turned back to the gong and again hit the gong. This time no sound ensued. He stood there, a blank look on his face. He set Nunai down and moved her behind him. He reared back and with every ounce of strength, hit the gong one more time. Again, no sound came out.

"This can't be right" said Akio. "It grants one magical gift and that's it? Nothing more, ever again? After all the work you put into it!" He sounded angry. Hurt in his voice for his older brother.

"Patience Aiko." Spoke Obi. "I have a feeling that it will ring again, it just needs time. We didn't build this tribe, our beautiful home in one day. I think the Gong is refusing to grant all of our wishes in one day as well. Perhaps we shall try again tomorrow."

Slowly the tribe broke apart but Ahi remained, fixated on the gong. Finally, Aida approached him and put her arm around him. He moved to pull her close but continued to look at the gong. "Honey, let's go. Nunai wants you to tuck her in."

"I failed Aida. Right after my father and brother and friends honor me with an amazing gift. They called me a 'Master' and then I fail on this gong."

"Don't say that Ahi!" said Aida firmly. "You didn't fail. Did you not listen to your father? Did you not hear a word he said? Did you not see what happened to our food?" she paused to turn to Ahi. "The gong worked Ahi. It performed a miraculous feat! I believe that Obi is right, it needs time until it performs another act. Go. Go be with your daughter. You know she's daddy's little girl, she loves when you tuck her in. We'll come back to the Gong tomorrow." Ahi nodded and turned to walk with his wife back to the hut. Deep down, he knew she was right.

#166449 - 08/01/08 07:38 PM Re: A Twist of Fate - by SaxyT [Re: LadyCFII]
Unicorn

Chapter 30
Love and Sadness

"Noa! Noa! Come here, we need you. Now!" Noa stirred in bed as Obi nudged her. She opened her eyes and realized someone was pounding on the door.

"I'm coming, I'm coming!" she grumbled as she started to get up.

"Bring Obi!" called Piku and they heard him run from the hut. The two shot out of bed and followed. Noa's heart sank as she realized that Piku was running to Bibi's hut. She ran faster and didn't notice Obi stop as comprehension dawned on his face. She entered the hut and saw Bibi looking pale and weak. Mua was washing her forehead with a cold cloth.

"Help her Noa." Mua said simply, not looking up. Concern for their friend, their mother, was all over her face. Noa examined Bibi but after checking for every disease known to the tribe, checking for broken bones, anything that could be ailing her, she found nothing. Bibi opened her eyes and looked at the two. Piku retreated outside to wait with Obi.

"Stop Noa. There's nothing you can do for me." She said in a tiny voice. Noa started to cry and Mua followed.

"I know, I know I can't!" sobbed Noa. "I can't help you this time." A tear started down Bibi's cheek but she managed a smile. Mua looked at the cloth in her hand then threw it across the bed at Noa.

"Stop it Noa! Stop it!" she yelled, anger in her voice. "Stop sitting there and help her! Fix her! You're our healer!" Noa got up and walked around the bed and held Mua. Mua fought her, started to hit her. "You have to help her! You just have to!" she cried. But Noa ignored her words and grabbed her hands. With the strength of the men in the tribe she overpowered Mua and held her tight. Mua sobbed uncontrollably and Noa cried with her reaching out a hand to take Bibi's. "Why can't you help her?" stuttered Mua through sobs.

"I'm old, honey!" whispered Bibi. "It's my time, I'm dying." She did not sound frightened, she did not sound sad. She spoke with wisdom and a hint of excitement. Mua started to calm down and Noa lessened her grip.

"There's no cure for old age." Said Noa simply and she looked at Bibi. "All we can do is make her comfortable."

"I want to see my brother." Said Bibi. Noa nodded and pulled Mua up. Noa reached out and kissed Bibi on the forhead. "I love you." She said then turned to the door. When Noa emerged, her eyes immediately found Obi's. He looked utterly distraught and Noa went to meet him while Mua rushed into Piku's arms, still crying. Obi stepped forward then pushed passed Noa and marched into the hut, leaving Noa alone outside. The others had started to come forward, word passing around that Bibi was sick. Piku left Mua for minute and walked to Noa. He pulled her close and kissed her cheek. "You know where to find me if you need me." He said and then turning back to Mua he added, "Sis." Noa's children all surrounded her and hugged her. The older children understood how much Bibi meant to their mother, to the whole tribe. Little Azizi and Solo did not seem to understand what was happening. Tiki hugged Noa again and pulled two aside to try to explain the situation. The family waited for a long time while Obi remained in the hut with his sister. The tribe had gone back to their duties, Piku laid Mua down in their hut to rest. Jem and Coen gathered Weeko and Nada and tried to distract the two but they knew something was wrong with their new mother. Noa and her children waited, not moving, not speaking, simply watching the hut for any sign of movement.

A long time later, or maybe no time at all, no one could know for sure, Obi emerged from the hut. He was walking tall, the look on his face unreadable. Except to Noa, who watched his eyes. After a couple steps, Obi fell to his knees and broke down into large, convulsive sobs. Noa rushed forward and held him tight, the children following. The eight of them huddled on the ground, crying together. Slowly, the tribe members rejoined them, and circled around them. No one spoke a word, no one needed to. They all saw it on Obi's tear stained face.

Bibi had left them forever.

#166450 - 08/01/08 07:38 PM Re: A Twist of Fate - by SaxyT [Re: LadyCFII]
Unicorn

Chapter 31
The Funeral

No sounds came from the tribe for the rest of the day. Everyone went to comfort Obi and the others but no words came from anyone's mouth. There was nothing that could be said. No words would bring Bibi back. Hugs and kisses and tears were the only communication needed. Finally, Ahi stood up and walked over to the gong. He picked up the stick and struck the gong. It's low ring emerged but today it was different. It was a mournful sound. Everyone looked at Ahi but no one looked to see what would happen next. They knew that today, the gong would grant no wishes. The only wish in each tribe member's heart could never be granted. Loved ones that passed on, could not be brought back. The sound stood only as tribute as the ring echoed endlessly through the island, cutting the sad silence of each member of the tribe.

Obi finally stood up, Noa still in his arms. He kissed his wife and then each of his children. Taking a deep breath, he walked, with the agility and strength he had when he was twenty, to the research table and grabbed a set of tools. He walked to the north side of the camp and started to break away a large chunk of rock. The entire tribe watched him intently. Understanding what Obi was trying to do, Piku stepped forward and, grabbing more tools, joined his best friend and started chipping at the rock. Ahi and Aiko followed the lead and joined their father. Coen was the last to join them. Together, the men worked, late into the night, until a large piece of stone broke away from the mountainside. They carried the heavy stone to the fire, where the only light now lay and all began chipping away at the stone.

The next morning, the women and children woke to the sound of metal on stone. Emerging from their huts, they saw the five men, still working at the side of the fire. Noa had not slept all night. She respected Obi enough to leave him alone with his sons and closest friends that night, but could not sleep while her husband stayed awake, in obvious pain. She was the first to arrive at the fire that morning and saw that the men had formed the rock into a beautiful curved shape. They were chipping intricate letters into the stone. Silently, she reached around them for the cauldron and went to the lagoon to fill it with water. She worked to prepare breakfast for the tribe and ensured the men were not disturbed while they worked. Noa understood all the plants on the island with thorough confidence and knew that she needed to make a special stew that morning for everyone.

As Noa finished making breakfast, the men stepped back from the stone. Obi reached out his hand for Noa and pulled her close to him. She stood beside him and looked at the piece of stone. What she saw took her breath away.

"Here lies Bibi
Beloved Sister
Master Carpenter and Brilliant Scientist
Mother of all the Tribe

She will be missed dearly
She will be loved for eternity"

She looked at the five men, all of whom she loved in different ways. "It's perfect." She said quietly, tears threatening to overwhelm her. Obi reached down and kissed her. It was a different kind of kiss. Not full of passion but full of pure love. His kiss said that right now, he needed her more then he had ever needed her. For the first time ever, as they held each other, Noa felt as if she was keeping Obi from falling, not the other way around. After a moment she gently pulled back and called the tribe to breakfast.

As the tribe ate Noa's stew, as strange feeling came over each and every one of them. They all started to feel stronger, rested. They had a difficult day ahead of them, but each and everyone one of the suddenly felt like they had the strength to make it through.

After breakfast, the five men took some more tools and then walked to the field on the north end of the camp and started to dig. After a couple of hours, they managed to dig a deep hole, once again, pulling together silently for each other, to complete a difficult task. They walked to the lagoon together to wash and freshen up. Noa, Mua and Jem brought the men clean clothes, their best clothes, and a large blanket. They changed and took the blanket and moved towards Bibi's hut. As they walked together to the hut, the three women hurried to ensure the rest of the tribe and the children had changed into their best clothes and moved them towards the freshly dug hole.

A few minutes later, Obi, Piku, Coen, Ahi and Aiko emerged, supporting Bibi's tightly wrapped body above their heads. They walked towards the tribe slowly, Obi in the lead. All of them stood tall and looked strong. Sadness was apparent in each of their faces, but they needed to complete this task. They needed to properly honor Bibi. So together, their love for each other as friends, as fathers, as sons, they finished the long walk to the hole and gently, as if she was as light as a feather, they laid her in the hole.

No one said a word. Quiet tears and soft sobs issued from each villager, but no one could manage any speech. Instead, all 25 friends and family members, paid silent tribute to the tribes' original Matriarch. After some time, the group began to break apart, pausing by the grave to throw flowers and pat Obi on the back or kiss his cheek. Once everyone had left but the five men and their wives, Piku turned to Obi. He saw the tears running down his face and put his arm around him. "Go with Noa, Obi. We'll finish up here." Obi shook his head and picked up a shovel, determined to finish the job and pay proper tribute to his sister. Piku looked back at Noa, concern on his face. She gave him a small smile, to say, 'It's okay, let him finish this. He'll be okay.' Piku understood and picking up a shovel, joined Obi. Ahi, Aiko and Coen followed suit.

#166453 - 08/01/08 07:55 PM Re: A Twist of Fate - by SaxyT [Re: LadyCFII]
Unicorn

Chapter 32
Life Must Go On

It was many months before Obi really returned to normal. He mourned for his older sister, he had loved her dearly. But with Noa's unyielding strength, he slowly realized that he still had his family, his wife, his children. He still had a life to live himself. He had to let go of his sister. Not forget her, never forget her. Never stop loving her. But no longer mourn her.

During the months of Obi's mourning, Jem and Coen had once again become pregnant. They had taken in Weeko and Nada in Bibi's absence and now their family would become even larger. The children were back to running around and playing. People were doing their chores, their jobs. Eating, laughing.

At first, this bothered Obi. But slowly, with coaching from Noa, he realized that these responses were good, not disrespectful. Bibi had passed, but life had to continue. Obi was not long for this world, he knew this in his soul. He became determined to live each minute to its fullest. Enjoy his children, his grandchildren. To live the way he had always lived before, before he lost his sister.

As the years went on and the children continued to grow, the tribe continued to thrive. Each day, Ahi woke and rang the gong. Little miracles happened each time. The fish doubled in the ocean, the clouds parted on a rainy day, and research advancement was made. Life was good for them.

But as the years passed, Obi continued to age. Noa struggled to remain strong as she watched the love of her life slowly fade. Although Obi continued to spend his days farming and fishing with Tiki and Ahi, he was slowing down drastically and his strength was fading.

Four years after Bibi's passing, Obi and Noa awoke one day and Obi was unable to get out of bed. His old joints were stiff and full of pain and his heart was starting to slow down. Noa sent for Ahi and their son helped his father up, got him dressed and supported him as they slowly walked to breakfast. Piku spent the morning carving a stick that Obi could use as a cane to help him walk. Noa created teas and ointments for Obi to help ease his pain.

But the entire tribe worried. They had lost their Matriarch and they would soon loose their Patriarch. The oldest original male villager was about to join his sister. During this time, Noa's heart was breaking. She had been preparing for this, but that was not making things easier for her or Obi. As he rested in bed during the day, they would talk for hours. They looked back on their lives, realizing that between the two of them, neither had a single regret on how they had lived. They talked about their children. How they had grown, how they would live for the rest of their lives. Obi occasionally got up, with help from Noa and his eldest sons and walked around the camp, taking in his friends, his family, their accomplishments. He would stop and tell his fellow villagers that they were doing a good job. That a shell picked up by a child was pretty. Near the end of Obi's life, he talked more than he had his whole life prior. He ensured that each and every tribe member knew he loved them and was proud of them.

One morning Noa woke to the find the sun shining brightly into their hut through the window. The light was focused on Obi and she turned in bed and kissed his cheek. "Wake up Obi, it's a new day to spend together." But Obi did not stir. She called his name a little louder and gave him a gentle shake. No response. She put her head to his chest and listened. There was no heartbeat. She raised her head and looked at the love of her life. He looked peaceful, a smile was on his face. She stroked his exceptionally handsome face. She threw her arms around Obi and let the tears flow. She was sad, but she was also relieved. For a long time, Obi had been living in pain, but determined to live. He would feel pain no longer. After some time, she slowly got up and dressed. She left the hut, closing the door quietly behind her as if afraid she would wake Obi. She went to join the others around the fire. Ahi saw her approach first and seeing his mother, he dropped his plate and ran for their hut. Aiko looked up and immediately followed. Tarita and Tiki started to cry and ran to Noa. Azizi and Solo looked lost, and Piku and Mua moved to them to comfort them. The tribe all slowly got up and went to Noa, offering comfort and hugs. Noa drank in their love, trying hard to use it to mend her breaking heart.

#166454 - 08/01/08 07:55 PM Re: A Twist of Fate - by SaxyT [Re: LadyCFII]
Unicorn

Chapter 33
The Boys Reunite

Ahi and Aiko emerged from the hut, stunned looks on their face. As they started to walk back towards the fire, their wives ran to them and threw their arms around their necks. Hugging each tightly, the two brothers looked at each other and caught Piku and Coen eyes. They each gave the other a small nod and one by one, grabbing tools on the way, walked to the side of the mountain and started to chip away a piece of stone. They knew what needed to be done. There was no question. They would honor their friend, their father, the same way he had honored his sister.

Again, the men worked through the day and night, only stopping for a drink of water and a quick bite of food. They would not rest, they wouldn't sleep until their masterpiece was complete. Noa stayed with Tarita and Tiki that night in their hut as they comforted their mother. Noa and Obi's hut remained empty of life for the moment. Noa amazed everyone with her strength. Although tears never left her face, she was in complete control. She awoke the next morning to find that her friends had already prepared the tribes' breakfast. She was brought a plate of food to the hut and ate with her daughters. Obi's tribute was not yet finished and her sons did not want her to see it before it was finished. As people came and went from the hut that day offering condolences, she held herself together.

Just after lunch, Mua came to the hut. She hugged her friend tightly and told her it was time to lay Obi to rest. She helped Noa dress. Mua had retrieved Noa's wedding gown from their hut. Azizi and Solo picked flowers for their mothers hair. By the time Mua finished with Noa, she looked just as she had so many years ago on her wedding day, although her hair was a little greyer and her face showed more lines. She emerged from the hut and walked, with the help of Mua and Piku to the open grave. As she approached, she saw the tombstone for the first time and nearly lost her footing.

"Here lies Obi

Beloved Husband to Noa
Father to Ahi, Tarita, Tiki, Aiko, Azizi, and Solo
Grandfather and Elder
Patriarch of the Tribe
Provider to all

He was loved by all
He will never be forgotten
He will always be celebrated."

Piku reached out and steadied Noa. Together, with Mua on her other side, she walked the rest of the way to join her children. Piku left Mua with Noa and went to Obi's hut. He emerged a few minutes later with Ahi, Aiko and Coen carrying Obi high above their shoulders, wrapped in a blanket. As they approached the grave, they stopped in front of Noa and carefully lay him down at her feet. They slowly pulled the blanket back to show her that he had been dressed in the same handsome outfit he had worn at their wedding. Noa was overwhelmed and collapsed on the ground to kiss her husband one last time. Ahi moved to help his mother back up. As she rose, she reached out and placed a necklace on his chest. It was not as stunning as her own, but knowing that she would soon loose her husband, Noa had tried her best over the last few months to create a necklace for him as well. She wanted Obi to know, as he watched her from above, that she would always love him.

The four men pulled the blanket back over Obi's face and slowly laid him in his grave. After everyone had their moment and laid their flowers, Ahi and Aiko started to cover the grave. Tarita, Tiki and Mua led Noa away, all four women with tears in their eyes. Mua told Noa that she was taking her to the girls hut and Noa stopped, finding strength. "No" she said. "I want to be alone tonight. I want to be in the hut where Obi and I lived our lives, raised out children." She looked hard at Mua. "Please take me to our hut." Mua studied her face for a moment, the nodded and changed directions.

That night, Noa lay alone and cried herself to sleep.

#166455 - 08/01/08 07:56 PM Re: A Twist of Fate - by SaxyT [Re: LadyCFII]
Unicorn

Chapter 34
A New Beginning

Noa awoke the next morning and refused to open her eyes. She didn't want to face the day just yet. Obi was gone, for the first time in years he was not beside her when she woke. She knew that she eventually had to get up, to see her children, to see the tribe, to tell her children that she loved them. But for now, just for a minute, she wanted to lie there, by herself, and imagine her husbands arms around her.

And then a smell hit her senses that made her start.

"Fabric Softener?" she said to herself. She hadn't smelled that in almost 50 years. And then she noticed another smell. Coffee, then the smell of her mother's pancakes came to her. She opened her eyes and sat up. She was in her bedroom. Her posters were on the wall, her laptop closed on her desk. She looked down and saw she was wearing the same clothes as the day she disappeared to the island. She jumped off the bed and ran to the dresser. She let out a scream. She was 15 again.

"Was it a dream? Was it all a dream?" she asked her reflection. "It couldn't have been, it was all so real!" She touched her lips. She could still feel Obi's kiss on her lips. She could feel his strong arms around her. She looked at her leg and saw the scar that had been there since the mice appeared on the beach. Bewildered, she sat for a moment. This just could be right, she couldn't be back home.

She ran to her door and wretched it open. It opened to a hallway, not a beach. Dazed, she went down the stairs and found her mother in the kitchen. She ran to her and threw her arms around her. "Oh mom!" She cried. "I missed you so much!" Her mother paused for a minute.

"Honey, are you okay?"

"I'm fine mom, just fine." And she pulled away to look at her mothers face.

"I take you forgive me then?" her mother asked.

"Forgive you? For what?"

"For the fight we had last night. You were so upset and never came out of your room. I was worried." The fight returned to Noa's memory.

"Oh mom, I'm so sorry. You were right. I'll keep the music quieter and after nine, I'll use my headphones, I promise." And she hugged her mother again.

"Who are you what did you do with my teenage, moody daughter?" she chuckled and Noa laughed with her.

"I'm right here. I think I've always been here. I just had to find myself." Her mother studied her.

"Are you sure you're alright, honey. You look a little pale."

"Yeah, I think I'm okay."

"Well, I made your favorite, pancakes. Come and eat." And they sat down. "How are you going to spend your Saturday dear? The Mall, the Movies?"

"No, I thought I would spend it with you, helping you around the house." Her mother choked a little on a pancake.

"That would be wonderful, I could use your help. I have some cleaning to do and I need to bake a pie for tonight."

"Tonight?"

"Yes, don't you remember? They new neighbors invited us over for dinner tonight, to meet them. I'm bringing desert. You'll still join your father and I won't you?"

"Yes, yes, I'd love to!" Her mother smiled. Noa kept busy during the day helping her mother, learning how to bake a pecan pie. She enjoyed the day with her mother but a sadness hung in her heart. She couldn't get her dream out of her head. It was just too real to her. She could still picture Obi and her friends and her children. She could smell the ocean, hear the birds. It was hard to believe it wasn't real. After they put the pie in the oven, she went upstairs to shower and change for dinner.

"Sweetheart, this is Mr. And Mrs. Riker."

"Hi Noa!" Said Mrs. Riker "it's a pleasure to meet you finally."

"Hi!" Said Noa.

"Unfortunately, our daughter is away at college so you won't be able to meet her today but our son will be home from work any minute to join us. He was anxious to meet all of you. Come and join us in the living room." Noa followed them into next room and sat down in a chair, her back to the hallway. She listened as the adults spoke for a while, getting to know each other. She found that she enjoyed the conversation. Normally, she would have hated this, but it wasn't bothering her this time. But even as she listened, her thoughts kept drifting back to her dream.

"Hi!" said a deep, smooth voice from behind her. A shiver ran down her spine. She jumped in surprise and whipped around to see a tall, fit young man standing behind her with a shock of glowing, silver hair. He put and hand out to her, intending her to shake it. "I'm Obi, Obi Riker. You must be Noa. I've heard so much about you."

The End

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Rockmower 
Smileys
Arthur on Twitter