Hi. This is my first story on here. Sorry if it's not so good. Concrit and comments are love!

Chapter 1: The Beginning

"-ali? Kali? Are you awake?"

Kali blinked open her eyes. She was staring into the face of Ohani, her best friend. Wait, what happened? Kali closed her eyes and tried to remember.

"Kali, are you okay?" Ohani asked, fear swimming in her eyes. Kali shook out of her trance.

"Y-yeah, I"m fine," Kali answered getting up from the beach. She was soaked. Then she looked over to gaze at the ocean. She saw an island, a volcano...

Wait...a volcano...erupting...danger...and...and screaming...

"Mom, Dad," Kali thought, tears welling up in her eyes. Sure, she was 28 years old, but her parents were her life; as important as the sun and the water to her.

"Kali, there are other...survivors in the village center..." Ohani explained. Kali looked at her. Village center? Ohani took her by the hand and lead her. There were a few buildings and a berry bush, along with some stored food. Kali also saw a few other people; three men, another woman and one little boy. She recognized them as Malou, Kye, Janna, and Moki. Not to say they were all friends, but the village where she came from was very small. Everyone knew everyone.

Kali winced. Her old village...

"Oh, hey Ohani. Who's this?" The black haired Malou asked. Kali was kind of offended that Malou didn't even know her. Like she said, the old village wasn't exactly huge.

"This is Kali. She's my best friend. I thought she had...you know. But I found her washed up on the beach," Ohani explained, motioning to Kali.

Kye spoke up. "We should probably start working. I mean, we need to pick some food, and uncover that well over there...checking out the island is a good idea, too."

"I wanna help!" chimed in Moki. Kali chuckled to herself. He was only 6. Kali remembers being as hyper as that.

"You can't," Malou said, "You're too young. You might mess something up." As he finished, he stalked off to the well. It was true, in the village you couldn't work until you were 14, but he didn't have to be fresh about it.

Moki looked like he was going to cry. So, Ohani bent down and said that Moki could help by collecting any mushrooms he found. The young boy nodded and ran off to go find the fungus.

Janna remained silent.

With that business settled, Kali decided to try to help Malou out with the uncovering the well, and maybe find out why he was so bitter.

The End

To comment on this story, click here.

Edited by Rockmower (09/20/08 04:25 PM)